"Best" choice? 1x15? 2x15? 4x10? 6x10?

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

"Best" choice? 1x15? 2x15? 4x10? 6x10?

Postby Pacafeliz on Wed May 03, 2006 3:20 pm

hi there guys...

i'm looking to get our bassist a decent bass rig, not too expensive. he currently uses a (borrowed) yorkville 1x15 combo, it's ok but it ain't got THE LOOK... and we need MORE volume for it to compete with our marshall half stacks.

so... i've been thinking of getting a cheap old bassman, or maybe an old sunn concert/colosseum bass (SS) amp, as they are quite common and cheap here.

the question now is... what cab(s)?

a friend has an old sunn 6x10 cab, and i'm also being offered an old (square magnet- filled) kustom 2x15. or should we build him a 1x15/4x10 stack?

what would YOU recomend, for some SERIOUS PUNCH?

thanks, and good luck!

Pat.
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Postby gypsy moth on Wed May 03, 2006 4:11 pm

either of those cabs should be adequate, both would be more than adequate.
depending on the speakers (and ears), they could sound great or terrible.
maybe he'd prefer a 4x12?
gypsy moth
King

Postby Der Bassmann on Wed May 03, 2006 4:50 pm

i'd go with the 2x15 cab. if your bassit's car is big enough.
Der Bassmann
Peasant

Postby The Golden Boy on Wed May 03, 2006 6:10 pm

I'd personally go for the 2x15- if the speakers suck, you can replace them. (and you'll probably want to make sure that the speakers are individually rated at or over 400w a piece) I struggled for a long time trying to get the sound I heard in my head out of 10s. If I would have took a bit of time to listen to what each cab could do, and made the decision on my own, THEN solicited others' opinions- rather than getting peoples' ideas, scoring the gear and then not being happy with the results...

My 2x15 is around 115 lbs, but it's easier to haul than my 92 lb 4x10- it's much easier to 'tip and push' than dead lift 92 lbs into the back of the station wagon. 8)

For a bass head getting good headroom and volume going up against 2 4x12 cabs... Ideally I'd shoot for around 5-600w SS.
The Golden Boy
Squire

Postby Bryan James on Wed May 03, 2006 7:19 pm

I started with a 1x15 and 4x10 setup, though never did fully like the sound, wasn't happy till I replaced it with a 4x12. usually when playing out I'll through in the 4x10 along with the 4x12, have each cab on either side of the drum kit, this has been working will.
Bryan James
Court Jester

Postby ozsubrosa on Thu May 04, 2006 12:42 am

Hola Pat, mi amigo... :)

This is a difficult question to answer. Just as no-one can tell a guitarist "you must have 4x12 Celestion G30s in a slant cab" I also don't think you can say "every bass player will be happy with this cab and these drivers" - not if they have their individual sound in their head.

Just speaking from my own personal experience, I don't think "vintage" speakers are a great idea for bass. I've always been let down by the flabbiness of some "classic" bass cab/driver. For me (and I stress, this is as personal as any lead guitarist talking about their speaker prefs) I found it very useful to look at those dB/Hz graphs and chose some 10" drivers with high efficiency but, more importantly, as flat a response over the range from (say) 5kHz to as near 30Hz as I could get. It helped that the drivers were ali-coned, neodimmythingies that weighed almost nothing.

They punch like Tyson. Still, they don't shift the air. So, I have bought into larger diameters. They tend to cover the low Hz easier than 10" but, even so, I'd keep an eye out for the graphs. There's nothing worse, for the bass player, than the D-G strings boinking out louder than the E-A (or vice versa).

If I were young, fit, gigging and possessing a decent trunk, I'd be tempted to design around a really good 1x10"+1x15" cab with the two drivers offset to save on bulk. Plenty of carpenterias to box them up and relatively simple to wire it up for parallel (4ohm) maxm SS output or series (16ohm) minimum valvewear usage.

But that's just me having a thunk. There are plenty of better bassists than me who'd do different, for very good reasons. Like I said, bass cabs are no more cut 'n' dried than guitar cabs :lol:
"Have bass, will valve"
ozsubrosa
Baron

Postby Pacafeliz on Thu May 04, 2006 3:10 am

oz! good to see ya again! (btw, how's that weird mustang bass project going? - still kicking?)

thanks to all of you guys! i appreciate all your comments and suggestions.

problem is, as you probably have noticed, I am the one posting this, and not the bassist. he plays with that small new yorkville combo that's not even his! :x (pffft, bassists! :wink: OUCH!!! haha) I have to run behind his stuff, ok i kinda like/enjoy it, but man if it wasn't for me and my "knowledge" they'd all be playing peavey 1x8 amps, or so!!! at least the other guitarist now has a jcm900 halfstack...

but the bassist complaints he can't hear himself enough and he doesn't do crap about it! it was MY idea to lift the amp off the floor and put it at least at waist-level height.

for now... i think i'll go with the Kustom 2x15. they're reliable, and i can get it for under $100. that one will really DRONE i think... hehe like i like it. and i think i'll get him a good old sunn head. no tubes for him, he won't be able to take care of it (seen the '66 bandmaster i restored for him?! he just had it lying around for YEARS! oh good golly).

we'll see how it goes. HE isn't really fond of "good tone" or whatever, he just wants to be heard. same thing for me. after all... he's just the bass...

UH... OUCH... ARGH... gotta... run!!!
:P :lol:

thanx,

Pat.
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Postby ozsubrosa on Thu May 04, 2006 4:38 am

Arf, Pat :lol: . As it happens, I've been buying in some very nice old gear recently. Most of it is actually BETTER suited to guitar than bass (especially as I play low-B 5-string) but what does my guitarist do? He sees a bit of frayed Tolex and makes buzz-buzz-shock-dying noises. If I suggest he plugs in, I have to wait 40 minutes for him to put on the insulating total-condom suit.

Sure, he likes his valves, but he blabbers on about $$$ kits that he's seen on the web and read in a magazine - "They're designed to be hand-wired, Oz! There's even a turret board included!" By the time I unscrew the Selmer/Laney/Impact whatever and flash him the underchassis, he's jumped out of the window and called the Fire Brigade in case I've been set alight. Oh, and he's happy with the Sovteks the local "servicers" installed for him.

It's not just bass players who can't hear jack, old chum :lol:
"Have bass, will valve"
ozsubrosa
Baron

Postby gypsy moth on Thu May 04, 2006 4:56 am

is the kustom tuck & roll sparkle with those gig front ports? very cool cabs, and if it has jbl's, it should sound pretty good as well, in that rumbly 60's way.

I agree that new speakers are better if you favor clarity and definition - and my bass speakers are monster guitar speakers as well.
gypsy moth
King

Postby marshman on Thu May 04, 2006 2:14 pm

Another mindless bassplayer one-finger typing his thoughts, but perhaps adding a 2x10 cab to his existing rig would help solve the volume issue without hunting down expensive/cool/retro/newtro gear for a bass player (notice I did NOT say Bassist) who doesn't seem to care a fig about his tone.

I am a huge bi-amp fan with a dual 200watt SS Marshall bass amp torqueing through a Peavey 1820 bass cab (single 18 and 2x10 in internally sealed cabs as a single unit) that absolutely rocks. I rarely ever need to actually use the whole 400 watts, simply running 200 watts into the cabs full range input and letting the cabs crossover do the heavy lifting seems plenty. Only outdoor gigs require both barrels.

That being said I have an old Univox all-tube bass head that sounds freekin' great through a modern 4x10 cab. It's a little weak in the lows, but the head was never quite reliable enough to gig, so it wasn't an in issue. I've just acquired a Mesa 295 power amp that I plan to use as the foundation for a monster rig. Stay tuned.
marshman
Certified

Postby 1953Vintage on Fri May 05, 2006 1:14 pm

so... i've been thinking of getting a cheap old bassman

The Bassman head isn't going to do him a bit of good: there are plenty of inexpensive, high-wattage bass heads available new and used.

As for speakers, my advice is 15s. A good 2x15 cab and a decent SS bass head would work great (assuming a dirt cheap Sound City 200 Plus or Hiwatt 200 doesn't pop into your lap).

Best regards Pat!
Visit the Sound City Site!
1953Vintage
Baron

Postby runmikeyrun on Tue May 16, 2006 11:58 pm

if he wants to be heard it helps a lot to be felt. 10s aren't going to help enough with that, yes i would stick with the 2x15, as long as he doesn't like too much high end in his sound. If he does then a more balanced approach will work better, 4x10 and 1x15.

If the 15s in that kustom cab aren't cuttin it, get some eminence 15s. I have the deltas, 300 watt handling and sound good... lots of lows. the gammas and kappas are even better and handle more power, if you can afford them. You can mailorder em from www.partsexpress.com
Chuck Norris doesn't tea bag, he potato sacks!
runmikeyrun
Knight

Postby subversesounds on Sat May 20, 2006 4:44 am

my friend has a colisieum through a 2x15 and it sounds so good im building my own 2x15. the colisieum wont let you down and it can really be dialed in.
subversesounds
Certified

Postby ozsubrosa on Sun May 21, 2006 10:24 pm

I just came back from a trip to pick up a Marshall Super PA a distant friend bought. Yakking to the seller, he told me that he's going to list his 2x18" cab :!: :shock:

I told him I'm into lightweight smalls and he said "Yeah, I'll be lucky to get £50 for it"

He's probably right. I saw a Fender 2x15" (nice silver cloth) go for nothing. I just can't face carting those lumps around, getting too old I suppose :cry:

Oz
"Have bass, will valve"
ozsubrosa
Baron

Postby Jerome on Mon May 22, 2006 8:38 am

Hi Pat,

Get a Bassman 100 (or other tube head) with a Dual Showman Reverb D-140 cab, these cabs really push! I play distorted bass (Maxon SD-9) tuned to A through this set-up and it has never left me down.

Good luck!
Jerome
Page

Return to Bass Talk