Need help with a Mesa Boogie Buster head

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

Need help with a Mesa Boogie Buster head

Postby BASSTUBES on Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:18 am

I am new to the forum and I just purchased a Mesa Boogie Buster bass head that I need some help with. It has three 12AX7 and six 6L6 tubes. I am wondering what the forum's opinion is on the best tubes for this amp. I am looking for new production tubes since NOS would cost too much. I have read that the Svetlana 6L6GC are pretty good. It is difficult to tell what would be a good preamp tube since most reviews are geared towards guitar players. Any suggestions? My friend tells me this forum is the best place to get advice.
I am also looking for a repalcement handle and two of the slider knobs for the EQ. Don't mind going OE for these but I have heard there are some other sources available.
BASSTUBES
Peasant

Postby methodofcontrol on Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:08 am

hey man...as for handle and sliders, call mesa boogie directly. they are real friendly, i'll bet you can get what you need for not too much. maybe $20-30 or so for everything.
methodofcontrol
Knight

Postby marshman on Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:57 pm

Don't know why I didn't think of this before...Watford valves, from UK 'published' this report a while back. Read it, and the several others listed there for ideas.

http://www.watfordvalves.com/cgi-bin/do ... ort_35.pdf

http://www.watfordvalves.com/reports.asp

The first on is an actual tube review for bass. It's old, but probably still relevant. The second is the list for all Watfords' tube reviews, which is similarly interesting reading.
marshman
Certified

Postby ozsubrosa on Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:56 pm

Yes, I agree with Marsh. Of the valves that Watford reviews and I have used, I'd say their opinions are pretty accurate. Their description of the earlier Chinese AX7s was exactly what I heard when I played one, and I'd go along with their EL84 ops.

Oz
"Have bass, will valve"
ozsubrosa
Baron

Return to Bass Talk