Rick 4001 bass.....

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

Postby ®ëv. ßïll¥ © on Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:53 pm

You guys are gonna make me take a pic, aren't you? :roll:
ImageImageImage

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." --- Thomas Jefferson
®ëv. ßïll¥ ©
The Central Scrutinizer

Postby pckpat on Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:00 am

i also bought a black 4001 in 73,with money from my first fulltime job.there was a long waiting time then from calif. but i found a guy(lewis music,long gone) who could get me one in 3 weeks.wow, was i over the moon when i got it 8) i later bought a late 60's in a kinda faded cherryburst with the horseshoe treble pu.it never kicked it like the 73 for that squire grind tho.maybe the mag was getting weak.i always used the stereo jacks on mine,but you had to leave one not fully jammed in or it wouldn't work.i looked for many years to find one with the dot inlays like mccartney and squire had,but never did find one.
pckpat
Emperor

Postby cerrem on Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:19 pm

A really awsome solid color for a Rick is "Midnight Blue"....
If you want that Horsshoe bridge pick-up to come alive and have bigger stronger output, you will need to remove/bypss the .0047uF cap that is in series with the bridge pick-up. Not only does it filter out the low frequencies, but it also reduces the output substantially..
CHris Squire bypassed his to get that sound....
Rick the company did not like Roto-Sound strings and most other brands besides Rick strings for 4001 models due to the tension it placed on the 2 truss-rod system.... The 4003 has a more normal traditional truss rod that can be used with most types of strings now..

Chris
1969 SVT Bass Amps x2 + 4 8x10 cabs...
1964 JTM-45 (GEC KT66)
1965 JTM-45/100 Super-Amp100W(GEC KT66)
1965 JTM-45/100 100W SuperPA (GEC KT66)
1967 Super Lead 100W (Mullard EL34)
1968 Super Bass 100W (Mullard EL34)
Various cabinets
100% EVH free
*****SEMPER FI*****
cerrem
Knight

Postby Gooch on Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:38 pm

I had a '76 4001 in maple-glo, it was my first "real" bass. Looked great, sounded great, good player, but weighed a ton. I usually used the neck PU exclusively, but sometimes rolled in a little of the bridge PU for a little more bite. I never even had to adjust the neck in all the years I had it, it was rock solid. I sold it off after a few years, mainly because of the weight issue. After I got my Thunderbird, I hardly used the Rick anymore anyway.
Dying ain't much of a living.
Gooch
Baron

Postby fealach on Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:16 am

I had a burgundy '79 4001, always used thin roundwounds on it. My first "real" bass too, I had owned a Grand Prix before that. The pickups in mine were pretty dead, I replaced them with Bartolinis and was much better. Experimented with the stereo thing a bit. It took a stereo cord in the Ric-O-Sound jack, no box needed. The stereo cord will give you one pickup left, one right. I had a custom cable made up with 1 stereo jack to 2 mono ones, it was kind of neat for recording but I never used it in a gig.

Once I took the next step in my Squire fetish and bought a Mouradian, it eventually dawned on me that I simply liked the Mouradian more, and never played the Ric. It didn't hurt that at one show Chris' Ric died and he had to play most of "Yours is No Disgrace" on his Mouradian, and it sounded better to me. I still like them, and I can't say I'll never own one again.
fealach
Certified

Postby OaklandDanny on Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:52 pm

My old bassist, Ricky, from Oakland, is up here visiting and helping me get my house in order. He just happened to have the '73 4001 MG with him. I found this beauty on ebay about 8 years ago. Picked it up for $700. I traded it to Ric straight across for his ZETA, which, for all its onboard electronics and slick looks, didn't fit the style of music we were playing. It took me two friggin weeks to sell the ZETA... barely got my money back. Now, it appears, that a complete and original 4001 of this condition and vintage is commanding upwards of $2000. :shock: Greedy bastahrd won't swap back for nothin. Sheeesh!! Some friend! :evil: 8)

ZETA the wired and wierd wonder

'73 RIC 4001 MG complete and original and not mine...
"Move Over Little Dog..."
OaklandDanny
Prince

Postby Painterman on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:37 am

I've got 2 older Rics and they sound fantastic.

'74 4000 Burgundyglo

'67 4005 Fireglo

8)
Sir Bobby Painterman - Knight of the Plexi Palace. (It only took me 8.5 years...)
Painterman
Knight

Postby subversesounds on Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:23 am

i was told that the old 4001's had one truss rod as they mainly used flatwounds on em back then and when they made the 4003's they put 2 truss rods in the neck for heavier guage more modern strings and more neck stability. i could be completely wrong but i know a guy people who have put round wounds on an old 4001 he bought and the neck warpped after a while, could be bad luck or could back up the story i was told, who knows. i would love to get my hands on a nice old burgandy 4001 preferably early to mid 70's, mmmmm.
subversesounds
Certified

yup i got a ric....

Postby 1959burst on Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:10 am

Musican/Luthier/Stringed Instrument Repairman/Resident Instigator http://www.myspace.com/greg1959burstwilson http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=604305709
1959burst
King

Postby MrArchive on Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:36 pm

Mine is white and it is 1979. I got it for payment to be in a back up band for some rich guy's wife in my home town. She was not all that great I I was not really into the music but I was offered a bass and amp of my choice if I would take the gig at 20 (barely) no job and our band was in need of experiance . What the hey Free equipment. White is cool looking but hard to keep clean. not as bad as streaks on black though
MrArchive
King For A Day

Postby The Golden Boy on Wed May 03, 2006 2:34 pm

®ëv. ßïll¥ © wrote:I also have a '73 4001, in 'Maple Glo'. Totally hacked, though. Some dood tried to be ^more-metal^ and chiseled out a good portion of the wood between the pickups, and from the looks of the screw holes, a multitude of pickups lived there. When I got the bass (traded for a box of drum parts), there was a P-bass pickup screwed in there wired straight to 1 volume knob, then to the output jack. The original wiring harness (still intact) was disconnected. I'm thinking of having a luthier replace the wood in the "route", and maybe having it painted to hide the fix; a sunburst or clear finish would show the work done...anyone know any cool Rick colors? :wink:

Because of the pickguard and hardware, even a somewhat competent luthier should be able to stick a block of maple (with or without a stripe) and have it be nearly completely un-noticeable even on a natural finished instrument!
The Golden Boy
Squire

Postby The Golden Boy on Wed May 03, 2006 2:40 pm

Seeing the Maple Glo in the case reminds me of my old Rick- it was either a 72 or 74...

I tried so hard to like that bass- I held on to it for 6 years, more or less because it was "cool" and not because I liked the way it felt, played or sounded. Some people just sound great on those things- and they are so damn cool, but I just couldn't bond with it.
The Golden Boy
Squire

Previous

Return to Bass Talk