Speaker recommendations for the Scorpion?

Discuss the Mojave AmpWorks product line.

Speaker recommendations for the Scorpion?

Postby chicoclint on Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:14 pm

I recently acquired a used Scorpion from Wild West Guitars (at a helluva deal). I'm EXTREMELY happy with the amp, but I'm thinking that my current speaker setup isn't the best match for it. I presently have an Avatar 2x12 with an Eminence Texas Heat and an Eminence Governor. I just discovered WGS speakers, and I'm wondering which one(s) would match the Scorpion best. I play in a classic rock cover band, but my original material leans more toward hard rock/grunge. (Dropped-D down a half-step.) Since I normally just mic one speaker at gigs, I would prefer to settle on one particular model for both speakers. (I'm currently considering a Reaper HP or ET65.) Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.
chicoclint
Peasant

Re: Speaker recommendations for the Scorpion?

Postby mentoneman on Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:12 pm

i'd try to find what they have that sounds like the gh30 or greenback
mentoneman
Squire

Postby chicoclint on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:30 pm

Okay...thanks.

I contacted one of the guys at WGS, and he recommended a combination of their V30 clone and their G12-65 clone. At this point, it seems that most Mojave players prefer 25- to 30-watt speakers with relatively early breakup, while WGS suggests something in the 50- to 75-watt range with later cone breakup. (Bearing in mind, I play pretty much everything from early classic rock to hard rock/grunge/metalish stuff.)

So many options, even with such a small company like WGS. :?
chicoclint
Peasant

Postby JR on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:14 pm

I think the greenback type break up way to soon. That said, one of my two favorites with my Scorpion is an old 70's straight cab with Celestion Blackbacks (25 watt) and, believe it or not, a JCM800 straight cab with G12M70's. Not the most popular Celestion, some hate them, but their high end counters the extra low end of the amp. I've got some G12H30 but they seem to be a bit dark.

Old Celestions = more gooder
JR
Knight

Postby chicoclint on Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:22 pm

Thanks for the info, JR.

I'm going to give the WGS V30 / G12-65 combination a go. If, for some reason, they don't work out, I might try their 50-watt version of the G12H30.
chicoclint
Peasant

Postby Scorpionhunter on Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:41 pm

Simple.....look at Mojave cabinets and see what speaker Victor puts in them. Amps are designed with speakers. I give usually the speaker nod to the designer. WGS makes excellent speakers IMO. American made and designed to emulate old Celestions. :thumbsup:
Scorpionhunter
Peasant

Return to Mojave AmpWorks