is this possible?

Discuss the Mojave AmpWorks product line.

is this possible?

Postby mentoneman on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:37 pm

a two channel mojave "preamp" where the power tubes are part of the preamp sound?

one side is a driven plexi 45 with a kt66 for the spanky twangy clean to dirty tones with the volume knob
the other side is a dimed plexi VH sound with an EL-34 at useable volumes

i can't think of any other way to get the right tones unless it involves cranking those power tubes in those proper circuits, but i want simpler cheaper smaller solutions than buying two amps and all the appointments to do it traditionally.

i'd assume that there would have to then be a mojave power amp...stereo would be nice!
mentoneman
Squire

Re: is this possible?

Postby 52Boomer on Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:31 am

I would guess your idea would work, but at what cost :?:

You could have something custom built, like the Billy Gibbons Scorpion, but you would have maybe three units to put in one box. :idea:

As of right now, for whatever it might all cost, your two channels would need some type of dummy load and some switching device to feed them into a stereo power amp. If it is to be PTP- hand wired, it would require much space to fit all those features into one amp head. :hmm:
" Are you sure that you're not just imagining that ? "
52Boomer
Prince

Postby mentoneman on Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:52 pm

i had a rivera tbr-1

it was a 2 channel preamp/60 watt per side stereo power amp--4 rack spaces

it had a pickup compensation circuit on a knob that adjusted input sensitivity/gain depending on the type of pickup you used

it had a pre-preamp effects loop for pedals designed to be run out front

it had independent channel eqs

it had a traditional post preamp effects loop, mono send/stereo return, with separate input and output level control on dials

i know vic figured out many things with the dirty boy, and was tinkering with some new mojave protos the last time i was up at his place.

i figure if you took some of the design features of the rivera and what vic did with switching circuits and to fit 5 transformers into the dirty boy, and get his plexi 45 and vh sounds independently into one box, you'd be on to something spectacular. i'd be happy if it were just a dual preamp with the cranked power tubes sound, and worry about the power amps later.
mentoneman
Squire

Postby mentoneman on Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:17 pm

chatted with vic yesterday over the phone, as he played the last plexi 45 SE before sending it to it's new home.

it was interesting how before he even told me what amp he was playing, i knew just listening over my cell phone what it was.

looks like i'm back in the family...mojave peacemaker on the way!
mentoneman
Squire

Postby Thumbsmagee on Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:57 am

Welcome back...so what's this about Vic hotrodding your Peacemaker? I returned mine pretty close to stock, with the exception of lowering the screens in the power section, raising the phase inverter filtering, and a few little cap and resistor tweaks here and there...nothing major.I'd love to hear a few clips. :jam:
...just one more tweak and then I'll close this amp up for good.
Thumbsmagee
Page

Postby mentoneman on Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:35 am

i'm headed home now from a week of filming for the Buck Commander TV show at Chipper Jones' ranch in Texas.

i'll review the amp when i have more time with it. i've only played it while we were tweaking it.

but yes vic and craig modded it for more gain and voiced it to my gtr and cab.
one conclusion is i have got to rip the g75t speaker out of the bogner 4x12 and fling it like a frisbee! gave vic fits trying to voice around that cement raker.

i have a scumback ready to drop in it's stead.

vic and craig are cool :jam:
mentoneman
Squire

Postby Thumbsmagee on Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:49 am

mentoneman wrote:i'm headed home now from a week of filming for the Buck Commander TV show at Chipper Jones' ranch in Texas.

i'll review the amp when i have more time with it. i've only played it while we were tweaking it.

but yes vic and craig modded it for more gain and voiced it to my gtr and cab.
one conclusion is i have got to rip the g75t speaker out of the bogner 4x12 and fling it like a frisbee! gave vic fits trying to voice around that cement raker.

i have a scumback ready to drop in it's stead.

vic and craig are cool :jam:

I put my NFB loop on the 4 ohm tap, so a PPIMV is not working out so great; I just crank it to 10 and live with it. The tone is to die for, but I've got to get an attenuator before I go deaf. Dave F. helped me set this up like the man's #1 plexi and it is insane...but insanely loud.
The 65 watt M75 Scum is awesome. I like one G12T75 in a 4x12 for a little more high-end, but by themselves they suck; I still use a beam blocker for the one in my 4x12. I'll probably switch it out for a Weber CA ceramic when the funds become available to give a little more of that VH1 vibe, but for now, it serves it's purpose.

Can't wait to hear what Vic did! :D
...just one more tweak and then I'll close this amp up for good.
Thumbsmagee
Page

Return to Mojave AmpWorks