Variac+Feedback+Bias+Boost = VH1 in ♠♠♠♠♠♠

Discuss the Mojave AmpWorks product line.

Variac+Feedback+Bias+Boost = VH1 in ♠♠♠♠♠♠

Postby plexi on Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:58 am

VH1 Tone

Basically one of the Gold Standards in our time.
plexi
Site Admin

Re: Variac+Feedback+Bias+Boost = VH1 in ♠♠♠♠♠♠

Postby J.FILAMENTHEAD on Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:01 pm

:thumbsup:

GREAT SOUNDING CLIP. :rawk: :fones: :not_worthy:

WAITING FOR THE EQUIPMENT AND PARTS LIST OF WHAT WAS INVOLVED IN THE MAKING OF SAID CLIP. :excited: :popcorn:

J. :jam:
IF IT DOESN'T GLOW IT DOESN'T GO. KEEP THE PEACE. J.
1975 V-9 = MOUNTAIN LEVELING TONE Image
J.FILAMENTHEAD
Certified

Re: Variac+Feedback+Bias+Boost = VH1 = ♠♠♠♠♠♠

Postby plexi on Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:38 pm

Sorry I forgot, Dirty Boy, Rolled back variac a bit. Bias on the cold side. Feed back min, Setting pushed up a bit. Used my Mahogany Strat with Tom Holmes 455 PU and a Floyd bridge. That's it. One microphone. PR30 into Lexicon Ionic 810SFW I/O then Logic. Nothing special I promise.
plexi
Site Admin

Postby outtahear on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:01 pm

Dude-you are having a ball with this amp... :mrgreen:
ONE NATION, UNDERGROUND
outtahear
Page

Postby plexi on Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:38 am

You could say that…
It's not about what I'm having, it's more like what's on the menu for anyone who is so inclined. I wish I had this amp when I was a kid and if you add up all the gear you'd buy to get some of these sounds, one could come up with a small laundry list of fine vintage amps where they are wrapped up nice into this amazing machine.

I could say the following without hesitation:

You could expect to dial up authentic pure and impressive tones ranging form an early tweed variety Fender, Black Faced Fenders, Early black and red panel Vox AC15 (EF86) and AC30s (ECC83). JTM45s, Plexi Marshalls ranging from 66, 67 through 72. Laney 100 Klipp, Orange OD120 to a Hiwatt DR103. You would also be able to call in more modern sounding amps like high gain front end power house amps like BOGNER or even DIEZEL.

Now that's a pretty broad spectrum of fine amps not to mention a bold statement to come out and say they are all wrapped up in a single amp, but the truth is, the flexibility and the tubes within the amp are all such that make the unique characters of the above mentioned amplifiers all obtainable. The definitive factors in what make all the amps mentioned sound unique and what helps define them are at least a combination of four components.
Tube type
Transformers
Speakers
Bias
feedback
rectification
preamp voicing and finally power amp topology.

For most guitar amplifiers your on either one side or the other of the fence. The current trend in boutique amp builders will yield one of the afore mentioned amp sounds extremely well, and only that amp type. The other is the recent "hybrid" approach with different preamp modules maybe which is pre amp simulation ( all be it accurate on the preamp side) they do not posses the power section attributes. For instance, a good example is the Egnater or Randall now building the different preamp modules that plug into the Lynch Box or Egnater amp. These all do good jobs either fully imitating or simulating an authentic preamp section of one or more amplifiers but that is where the line is drawn. You cannot make such drastic changes to the amplifiers "DNA" without structurally changing the power amp section at the same time and that is where a very definitive part of the authentic reality lies, especially if the amp is vintage in nature.

So in short, by having the ability to make your power tubes run as hot as a Hiwatt DR103 (25 watts per tube at idle) or as cold as an under biased old plexi (Ed Van Halen) and or the benefit of power tube sag found in smaller amps, or EL34s that can be flavored to sound like their forefathers the EL84s by way of bias and feedback ( Vox AC15 & AC30s have no feedback) as well as adding tone circuitry to the front end which is a hybrid of say a Fender front end and a Marshall power section like a Laney Klipp but with adjustable gain structures and tone shaping all added up to one giant monster that can really give a real behavior and sonic response from front to back like the Dirty Boy does.

Skeptical? Don't take my word for it. We've thrown together a good pallet of amp demos to showcase exactly what I just stated. Blues Saraceno did 5 and I've personally done 7. I don't hold a candle to Blues Saraceno as a guitarist or writer but it only goes to show you that even a regular joe like myself can pull it off and not have to be the virtuoso we know can do it. I just did it here in this post. I recorded and demonstrated one of the most difficult guitar tones one could try and conjure up, EVH 1 and the easy to play but enormously hard to get sound, Ain't Talkin Bout Love. Please, post the clip from anyone else who is making an amp today that can truly rival the authenticity this amp created without being a vintage plexi Marshall, a Marshall clone, a heavily modified version of one of the two or a preamp distortion bassed amp. This was power tube all the way.
plexi
Site Admin

Return to Mojave AmpWorks