Plexi 45 Arrives with a vengeance

Discuss the Mojave AmpWorks product line.

Plexi 45 Arrives with a vengeance

Postby steveokla on Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:06 am

Well, true to his word, Victor put together my Plexi 45 in a few days--got here today. The package is: Plexi 45 head, Genolex NOS KT '66 power tubes, NOS Mullard GZ 34, and NOS 12AX7's (EC83). The cab is the open back twin 12 with Alnico blues. As I said in my earlier post, it's been a long time since I've bought a new amp. I'm not easily impressed. I must say, this amp drips quality--it's about as fine a piece of old school craftsmanship as I've beheld in a long, long time, from absolute top-of-the line components and materials to attention to detail. Even the speaker cable is remarkably stout. I'm very, very impressed.

The sound? Just started experimenting, but I can tell you this much so far--I've got a '68-'69 50 watt Park Plexi original in every detail, and I can't tell the difference. Clearly, vintage Marshall tone is there for the asking. The Mojave, however, has a few tricks up its sleeve the Park does not. Again, I've only begun experimenting, but it's got some real nice twists of its own: that much, I've already discerned. I'v tried my '73 strat, '66 Esquire, and '64 SG Special. The one that's grabbed me the most right off through this amp was the Esquire, but there's a lot more experimenting to do. Tomorrow, I'll begin milking this thing in earnest. I've just barely begun twiddling with the power dampening, but I can already tell this is going to be a very nice feature.

Bottom line, I"m glad I got a wild hair and bought this thing, exspecially while there was a sale, of sorts, going on. I'm already thinking about another Mojave--something different from the Plexi 45, Sidewinder, perhaps, or maybe the Scorpion?? On the other hand, if a Scorpion, then why not the Peacemaker (got the dampener, after all). It'll take some thought and study.

thanks to you guys who helped me decide on the Plexi 45--your counsel, as always, was very sound and much appreciated. Regards, Steveokla
steveokla
Baron

Re: Plexi 45 Arrives with a vengeance

Postby sean on Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Glad to hear everything is working out on the Plexi-45. Keep the updates coming. 1 quick question, I thought the Blue's were rated at 15-20 watts a piece so do you have to be careful not to blow them with a 45-50 watt head, and 2 blue speakers?
Welcome to the Mojave family.
sean
Certified

Postby steveokla on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:11 pm

Don't really know--this is the cab Victor recommended, and I guess one he sells with the Plexi on a regular basis. I believe the Plexi 45 soundclips also use these speakers. You're point is well taken, however. I do seem to recall in my discussions with Victor that the output of this head, as well as the Sidewinder, is actually around 30 watts.

That's not much help, but it's as much as I know at this point. I'll see if I can get some more info. Oh, and thanks for the welcome! Steve
steveokla
Baron

Postby elbecko on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:59 pm

Congrats for the new amp, the plexi 45 is a real wonder !

About the 2x12 alnico blue cab, Victor advised me this config for my plexi and I'm fully satisfied. I never get any rattling, buzing or odd noise from the cab whatever the power I dial from the Plexi ! The the power of the amp and the cab match perfectly. And the tone I get is more than great so I'm glad I followed Victor's advices.

I'm back from a 3 weeks period of gigs in the south of France (near the mediteranean sea !) playing outdoor every night and the Mojave amp is 100% reliable. I mostly played my plexi 45 which is my n°1 amp now and it was a huge moment every night. I had the Coyote head as a spare but I only used it once because the place was very small and the set list mainly required clean tones.

BTW the Mojave is the best quality choice to me and Victor is a tone master !
Proud owner of Plexi 45 # 0083 & Coyote # 0132 w/ 2x12 Alnico Blue Cab
elbecko
Peasant

Postby steveokla on Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:31 pm

thanks for the report on your experience with the Plexi; naturally, I like hearing you're so pleased with its performance in actual use, as well as the info on the cab in light of the question raised about the wattages, etc.

You nention the Sidewinder, though you've indicated your general preference for the Plexi, at least under some conditions. Could you tell me more about the Sidewinder? I'm thinking about one to add an additional dimenesion tone-wise. I'd really like to have your impressions--a comparison with the Plexi would be especially helpful. thanks, STeve
steveokla
Baron

Postby archtopjazz on Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:27 am

Congrats on the new amp.
You can't beat Victors amps or CS.
I now own a Plexi 45, Sidewinder, Coyote, and three 2x12 cabs, each with different speaker configuration.
The Scorpion is next.
archtopjazz
Peasant

Postby steveokla on Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:36 pm

Could you do some comparing among them??
steveokla
Baron

Postby mixohoytian on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:47 pm

that's great news!
can someone school me on the blue alnico speakers? I thought they weren't a match for the marshall sound, but rather the chimey vox vibe?
Last edited by mixohoytian on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mixohoytian
Court Jester

Postby steveokla on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:39 pm

So far, I don't hear any Vox chime anywhere--set abou the same way, it sounds exactly like my 69 Park Plexi.
steveokla
Baron

Postby mixohoytian on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:56 pm

oooh just saw this
here's your chance to get a scorpion:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MOJAVE-SCORPION-50W ... 1|294%3A50
mixohoytian
Court Jester

Postby steveokla on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:19 am

Victor's got a sale on the Scorpion right now for $1995--cheaper than the one on e bay. Moreover, if you buy a cab with it you get $200 off the cab.

Archtop--I'm thinking pretty seriously about another Mojave as well. I've been listening to the clips for some time now. Victor is real fond of the Coyote--even recommended it; on the other hand, if the Sidewinder is truly the 'big brother' to the Coyote, then why not just get the Sidewinder? Especially given the power dampening. I'd really like to have your thoughts on this, inasmuch as you've got both.

The other thing is, I don't want to replicate the Plexi 45: that is, it strikes me I should choose a model that's voiced very differently so the amps aren't overlapping so much. The Peacemaker and Scorpion have EL34's, if I remember correctly, which makes me think of late '60's Marshall Plexi tone, which I've pretty well got covered. Of course, I could be dead wrong on my assumption. I'm assuming further that the Coyote and Sidewinder are similarly voiced, as both operate off 84's, I believe. It strikes me this would be quite different from the Plexi 45. On the other hand, I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Coyote is voiced something like a Vox (if so, then I guess the Sidewinder would sound about the same?). I don't really play anything that calls for a Vox tone. That said, I can't say any of the Coyote or Sidewinder clips sound 'Voxy' to me. Can you speak to any of this?? thanks, Steve
steveokla
Baron

Postby archtopjazz on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:49 am

Hi Steve,

I was lookong at the sale. If I get the Scorpion, I will get it from Victor. I have his three 2x12 cabs so alls I need now is the 4x12. Maybe he can work me out a deal on that : )

I have been playing the Plexi 45 and Sidewinder out quite a bit. They both sound great, but different, clean and with pedals. My Plexi has 6L6's so they are quite different. They are what you would expect. To my ears the Plexi has the great Marshall clean sounds and the Sidewinder has the Vox EL84 sound. I have them both set up clean and use pedals for OD. At one point I did have a Scorpion and ran that with the Sidewinder as a 2 amp rig, the Sidewinder for cleans and the Scorpion for OD. I also had the Scorpion set up as a wet/dry rig thru the Sidewinder. This was the most awesome sounding setup you could imagine. Victor put the whole thing together for me, including a giant pedalboard that made everything work perfectly. I then switched over to the Plexi for cleans and the Coyote for OD. The Coyote with an OCD in front of it sounds amazing, very close to the Scorpion. I haven't played the Coyote out as much, so I can't really comment on that. It does sound darker than the Sidewinder. They both sound great, just different flavors. Plus it also depends on how much clean headroom you want.
You really need to play them out to get a feel for them. I think either the Coyote or Sidewinder would be a nice contrast to the Plexi. What power tubes are you running in the Plexi?
I hope this helps. If you have any more questions please let me know.
Here is a picture of the 2 amp rig and pedalboard that I was using.

archtopjazz
Peasant

Postby steveokla on Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:06 am

A truly beautiful display. For a guy who never wanted to look at anything that wasn't rough blonde tolex and oxblood, I must say I really like the look of the Mojave. I'm also a sucker for piggybacks, so they meet that cosmetic need for me as well.

Thanks very much for the report on the various amps. It's very helpful. If the Coyote and Sidewinder are Vox'ish, what about the Scorpion/Sidewinder?? Are we back to Marshall again?

The amp I got has Genolex NOS KT '66 power tubes. I assume these sound similar to the 6L6's, but don't know--I've not used these tubes before. What guitars do you mostly use through your Mojave's? What kind of stuff do you generally play? Thanks, Steve
steveokla
Baron

Postby archtopjazz on Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:34 pm

steveokla wrote:A truly beautiful display. For a guy who never wanted to look at anything that wasn't rough blonde tolex and oxblood, I must say I really like the look of the Mojave. I'm also a sucker for piggybacks, so they meet that cosmetic need for me as well.

Thanks very much for the report on the various amps. It's very helpful. If the Coyote and Sidewinder are Vox'ish, what about the Scorpion/Sidewinder?? Are we back to Marshall again?

The amp I got has Genolex NOS KT '66 power tubes. I assume these sound similar to the 6L6's, but don't know--I've not used these tubes before. What guitars do you mostly use through your Mojave's? What kind of stuff do you generally play? Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks. I don't think you can beat Mojave amps as far as build quality, tone, and looks.

The Scorpion does the Marshall EVH thing in spades, plus more.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the KT66 and 6L6. Maybe Victor could chime in.
I am playing a variety of guitars thru my Mojaves. They include ES335, ES339, LP, EJ Strat, Tele's, Carvin SH575 and a few others. The amps bring out the nuances of each guitar.
I'm doing a variety of music that ranges from Steely Dan to Earth, Wind & Fire.

Jim
archtopjazz
Peasant

Return to Mojave AmpWorks