Scorpion vs Coyote

Discuss the Mojave AmpWorks product line.

Scorpion vs Coyote

Postby BamaJohn on Mon May 25, 2009 4:55 pm

I'm in the market for a new amp, I just sold off all my old tube gear, cabinet, and am in the process of getting rid of an old PODxt and AX2 combo. I love the sounds you guys have gotten out of the Scorpion and the Coyote, but I can't decide which to get. I want to run whatever I get into a 2x12 G12H30 cabinet. I'll mostly be playing at home. Favorite tones are AC/DC, Van Halen, ZZ Top, early Dream Theater (Images & Words album), Def Leppard (their live rigs, I know the albums were overprocessed), and so on. The Blues Saraceno "Scorpion Heavy Tone" and Mentoneman's "Coyote Classic Rock" are the two clips that just nail the tones I like best.

Other than relative volume, what can the Scorpion do that the Coyote can't, and vice versa?

Also, maybe I missed this, but what happened to all the old posts from this forum--there was a WEALTH of clips and knowledge here at one time...now just 26 posts?

...hmm...real quiet in here...<cue crickets> :sleepy:
BamaJohn
Peasant

Re: Scorpion vs Coyote

Postby riffhog on Sat May 30, 2009 1:36 am

I don't have much experience w/ the Coyote (just played one for about 15 min once), but I own a Scorpion, & if it's VH & AC/DC you seek, you've found the holy grail with the Scorpion. I use a re-amp rig like many other guys here for my VH tone. I actually just sold my 1 yr old 5150 III because the tightness & dynamics of it couldn't compare to the Scorpion. Not even close IMO. The Coyote tones you hear from mentoneman of course are awesome as well, but remember that mentoneman is a great player, & expert at getting great sounds recorded from his Coyote (which I think he sold :( ). As he once said, "There's brown in the Coyote". You just have to know how to get it. Remember that the Scorpion will be obscenely loud even dialed down to 3W with the Power Dampening, so unless you're re-amping or using an attenuator, that may be an issue. I wouldn't trade my Scorpion for anything, but I can also play as loud as I please. Both amps seem to handle pedals pretty well. I know this isn't the comprehensive answer you were hoping for, but it may help you decide. I understand how difficult it is to find these amps to try out. I bought mine on the basis of the clips & Victor's reputation for quality products.
"I feel sorry for my friends who don't drink, because when they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Frank Sinatra
riffhog
Peasant

Postby BamaJohn on Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:22 pm

Ok, what's the consensus best attenuator for the Scorpion? I've read where folks are getting less tone coloration by doing a little attenuator and a little power dampening rather than doing a lot of either one...
BamaJohn
Peasant

Postby Jerry G on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:05 pm

BamaJohn wrote:Ok, what's the consensus best attenuator for the Scorpion? I've read where folks are getting less tone coloration by doing a little attenuator and a little power dampening rather than doing a lot of either one...

I use the power dampening and a Hot Plate. I found that a combination of the two sounds better than smahsing the sound with one or the other.
Jerry G
Page

Return to Mojave AmpWorks