Coyote, Sidewinder or Plexi 45

Discuss the Mojave AmpWorks product line.

Coyote, Sidewinder or Plexi 45

Postby toddf007 on Mon May 18, 2009 4:44 am

What's the difference in the voicing between the Coyote, Sidewinder and the Plexi 45. I love the old Plexi tones. It sounds like both the Coyote and Sidewinder will achieve that tone and then a little more. I'm leaning towards the Sidewinder at the monent.
toddf007
Peasant

Re: Coyote, Sidewinder or Plexi 45

Postby elbecko on Sun May 31, 2009 3:47 pm

I own a Plexi 45 for a month or so and can't play another amp since then. The tone is awesome, you can get the good old JTM 45 but muchmore from clean to overdriven.
I just wait for a Coyote and I will post a tone report as soon I have it and compare to Plexi 45.

BTW, Victor is building awesome amps !
Proud owner of Plexi 45 # 0083 & Coyote # 0132 w/ 2x12 Alnico Blue Cab
elbecko
Peasant

Postby Gunner on Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:41 am

I own a Sidewinder, using a closed back cab w/ a celestion blue and Gh1230 ... no complaints

Sidewinder is big brother to Coyote... Plexi 45 is a different animal

SG
Gunner
Peasant

Postby elbecko on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:38 am

After a couple of month playing both Coyote & Plexi 45, here's my feeling about those amps

The Coyote has some nice clean tones very suitable with single coil PUs like strat and tele.
Crunch tones are very sweet and warm, I like them with any kind of guitar but mostly like them with a P90 loaded axe.
When you had a boost ar overdrive stomp box you get every thing you want from crunch to disto with warm and well defined tones.

The plexi is very versatile and offers more posibility than the Coyote, you can get crunchier tones compared with the Coyote. It's less basic than the Coyote and you can get a wide range of tone from clean to crunch with quite a high gain level (don't expect a Mesa rectifier tone, you'll get less than a JCM 800 overdrive but you'll have all those Zeppelin, Cream and Free nice tones).
The Plexi is also more powerful than the Coyote so more suitable for a larger audience / room. The Coyote suits club gigs.

I can't compare them to the Sidewinder because I never played one and it's quite hard to find a Mojave amp in France but what I like with those amps is that you get your real tube tone, very nice and well defined, you can get several variation with the volume knob of you guitar and if you need more, just add a booster or drive stomp for the leads and solo

If I ever buy another amp, it will be a Mojave !
Proud owner of Plexi 45 # 0083 & Coyote # 0132 w/ 2x12 Alnico Blue Cab
elbecko
Peasant

Return to Mojave AmpWorks