opinion on this modded peacemaker tone

Discuss the Mojave AmpWorks product line.

opinion on this modded peacemaker tone

Postby mentoneman on Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:39 am

http://www.davidbrayamps.com/mp3s/benwise.mp3

do you think the peacemaker tone benefits from more of this type of modded gain tone?
mentoneman
Squire

Re: opinion on this modded peacemaker tone

Postby chris69 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:53 pm

Man that's a lot of gain.. and it still seems to have the Peacemaker character to my ear. As for benefits that's a whole can of worms but my 2cents I like it sounds pretty good actually.I wonder what kind of mod is in under the hood?
chris69
Page

Postby sean on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:17 pm

yeah sounds pretty good, not sure if it's just more gain, if so i'd prefer to use a pedal to get there and leave everything else stock. for my playing the stock peacemaker has plenty of gain.
sean
Certified

Postby chris69 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:50 am

For me also +1 I get all I need with the stock PM
chris69
Page

Postby JJGray on Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:14 am

I enjoyed listening to the clip.

The good? I enjoyed the gain during the single-note noodling.

The not-so-good? The chords lost string definition with the added compression.

I think the gain was a tad on the high side. I would have backed the gain off just a bit.

I still enjoy driving my Peacemaker and Scorpion with a clean boost and/or EQ.

But still, at the end of the day, this guy did a mod that stills sounds good and didn't ruin the amp, IMHO.

How much was the mod, and what all did he do do it, I'm curious...?

I'm still waiting to see what Vic has been cooking up in his shop.... (hmmm....thinking 2-channel Mojave and possible boost)

John
Proud owner/Abuser
Mojave Peacemaker #0025
Mojave Scorpion #0025
Mojave 4x12's
JJGray
Page

Postby Bronco on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:10 pm

That amp is Stuntdouble's...I had the same brown mod done to mine. Dave Bray does great work...I wouldn't say the mod improves the amp, but it does open up the sound a little, and adds the ability for more gain and tonal flexibility...basically, it just makes the amp more versatile....kind of like a Plexi era amp up to JCM 800 territory.

Am I happy I had the mod done? Yeah, I suppose, but in retrospect, I could have left it untouched without any reservations.
Bronco
Peasant

Postby prs1999 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:12 am

No disrespect to Brays work,but is it my speakers(I do have a sub/sat system) on my computer
or do all his high gain mods on differant amps sound the same?
The PeaceMaker mod didnt sound alot different than some of his Marshall tones.
With my PM,I can acive that gain with an OCD pedal in the front.
prs1999
Peasant

Postby Thumbsmagee on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:56 am

haha...I haven't been around in a while so I missed this thread. Yeah, that's my amp, and I really dig what Dave did, but you have to keep in mind, there's a blot of extra gain and compression going on in that clip due to the vintage/hot and gain boost switches that Dave added. It's not that hot or compressed without the switches on. The vintage/hot switch brightens the tone somewhat and the gain boost adds quite a bit of hair, so it's not really a fair comparison. I don't really even use them and that clip also had the the lead channel dimed. I run the amp at 90v with my 6ca7s biased pretty hot. I set the treble channel at 3 O'clock and the bass channel at 9, pushing the front end slightly with a Boss Ge-10...frown curve setting...or MXR 6 band EQ/Univox combo and just crank the hell out of it into my UA set to load and slave it into an H&H V800 and 4x12 w/ g12-65s for the wet side...and it's O so badass. :D

I'll probably wind up removing both of those boosts and tweaking the preamp a little. I've also had the OT and choke replaced since then and the filtering lowered to get a little more vintage Marshall mojo going on.
...just one more tweak and then I'll close this amp up for good.
Thumbsmagee
Page

Postby mentoneman on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:27 am

i like the idea of a hotter peacemaker but i'm not in love with the tone on that clip.

tomorrow i get to hear the latest revision of vic's "secret" amp. he's VERY excited about how it sounds now, and if it's that much better than the prior version, i'm in for a real treat! :shock: :ohno: :excited: :old: :score010:
mentoneman
Squire

Postby prs1999 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:16 am

make sure you share the wealth of "tone info" tomarrow !
prs1999
Peasant

Postby JJGray on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:19 pm

Thumbsmagee wrote:haha...I haven't been around in a while so I missed this thread. Yeah, that's my amp, and I really dig what Dave did, but you have to keep in mind, there's a blot of extra gain and compression going on in that clip due to the vintage/hot and gain boost switches that Dave added. It's not that hot or compressed without the switches on. The vintage/hot switch brightens the tone somewhat and the gain boost adds quite a bit of hair, so it's not really a fair comparison. I don't really even use them and that clip also had the the lead channel dimed. I run the amp at 90v with my 6ca7s biased pretty hot. I set the treble channel at 3 O'clock and the bass channel at 9, pushing the front end slightly with a Boss Ge-10...frown curve setting...or MXR 6 band EQ/Univox combo and just crank the heck out of it into my UA set to load and slave it into an H&H V800 and 4x12 w/ g12-65s for the wet side...and it's O so badass. :D

I'll probably wind up removing both of those boosts and tweaking the preamp a little. I've also had the OT and choke replaced since then and the filtering lowered to get a little more vintage Marshall mojo going on.

If you can post another clip with the setup you are describing above, I'd love to hear it. I think everyone else here would love to as well.

Thanks,

John
Proud owner/Abuser
Mojave Peacemaker #0025
Mojave Scorpion #0025
Mojave 4x12's
JJGray
Page

Postby Thumbsmagee on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:43 pm

I will when I get it back; that clip isn't a very good indicator of what it actually sounds like. That clip was done with every bit of gain you can squeaze out of it, but with the boosts off and the lead channeled pulled back some, it's much closer sounding to a stock PM...just a little more open on the top-end with a little more hair. I don't think Dave's mods are the "be all end all", but I don't think his clips really do his work justice. I'm excited about Vic's new amp...what is it?
...just one more tweak and then I'll close this amp up for good.
Thumbsmagee
Page

Postby Bronco on Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:28 pm

Thumbsmagee wrote:...that clip isn't a very good indicator of what it actually sounds like. That clip was done with every bit of gain you can squeaze out of it, but with the boosts off and the lead channeled pulled back some, it's much closer sounding to a stock PM...just a little more open on the top-end with a little more hair. I don't think Dave's mods are the "be all end all", but I don't think his clips really do his work justice...
+1
Bronco
Peasant

Return to Mojave AmpWorks