problem with crate power block

Discuss the Mojave AmpWorks product line.

problem with crate power block

Postby mixohoytian on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:10 am

it has a weird, quiet distorted buzz to the notes even with the gain way down
I got it just to provide power for the wet side

not a big deal with the peacemaker distorted, all he way up, but if I try to back off and get a cleaner sound
I can hear it

did I just get a defective power block?
mixohoytian
Court Jester

Re: problem with crate power block

Postby plexi on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:45 am

just read this. not sure how exactly this is getting hooked up but I would suggest using the power block by itself and if nothing is wrong then call us for assistance.
plexi
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:04 am

I'm using a powerblock right now with an older RealtubeII preamp. Not hearing any buzzing in the clean mode of the preamp. Are you running into the line in on the back of the unit? If you're plugging into the front input, you are going through the preamp section which can definitely affect your tone.
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby mixohoytian on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:25 pm

I had a tech at work check out the power block and it's fine
I wasn't sure which way to plug in so I am going thru the line in on the back

it seems to sound ok now!

one thing
I have a 2x12 wired 8ohms and the power block bridges to mono at 4 ohms
that ok?
sorry I'm a bit slow with all this

thanks for all answers
mixohoytian
Court Jester

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:10 pm

I use the Powerblock stereo, but on the mono jack (with the red plastic nut) it says 8ohms, not four. The 4ohm jacks are the stereo plugs. If you plug into the red jack you should be OK.
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby chris69 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:31 pm

Has anyone ever slaved their Mojave amps into the power block?....how does it sound :?:
chris69
Page

Postby riffhog on Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

chris69 wrote:Has anyone ever slaved their Mojave amps into the power block?....how does it sound :?:

I re-amp my Scorpion into a Power Block. I played around w/ the wet/dry rig a bit, but I just like the tone of the re-amp setup alone. My sound is very close to a VH1 sound, duplicating the sustain & dynamics better than any other rig I've ever played (I also own a Soldano SLO 100 & EVH 5150 III). I run a Fulltone OCD (level maxed, drive at minimum, tone at 12:00) in front of the Scorpion to give it a bit more bite & sustain, & set the PB EQs at 12:00. Sometimes necessary to roll off the highs a bit on the PB. The beauty of the re-amp rig is being able to duplicate the killer tone at any volume, even down to a whisper.

Edit: Sorry, forgot the PB settings. Level control maxed, use gain knob as master volume. The sound really fills out as you turn the Scorpion's Power Dampening feature off (increase output). I keep the PD way down usually to make the tubes last a bit longer for practicing & screwing around, but the killer tone really comes when the PD is not engaged IMO.
"I feel sorry for my friends who don't drink, because when they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Frank Sinatra
riffhog
Peasant

Postby mentoneman on Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:59 am

The good thing about the pb is the size and the cost and the ability to affect/balance the tone of your wet cab or reamp sound.

The thing you miss out on is the added dimesion and bounce and fleshy highs a tube power amp provides.
SS power tends to be flat feeling/linear and sterile but the pb tone controls help that some

I'd love a single space power amp with one dampable el34 or kt66 (or whatever) per side for tone and feel sake ala univalve, coupled to a ss amp for headroom and post power tube fx loop, and mesa-like footswitchable graphic/voicing, mojave presence, and Rivera ohm selectors per side.
mentoneman
Squire

Return to Mojave AmpWorks