Rack Mount Amp For Billy Gibbons

Discuss the Mojave AmpWorks product line.

Postby Guitarjb on Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:27 pm

That looks great.

One question: why are there two little "choke"-type transformer-looking things? I usually see only one of those in Marshall or Marshall-type amps.

(Not that I even know the purpose of the choke...can anyone fill me in on that?)

-Joe
Guitarjb
Knight

Postby Simon Wicks on Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:23 pm

Guitarjb wrote:That looks great.

Obe question: why are there two little "choke"-type transformer-looking things? I usually see only one of those in Marshall or Marshall-type amps.

(Not that I even know the purpose of the choke...can anyone fill me in on that?)

-Joe

I would imagine the first, the ercury Magnetics inductor is a choke. Infact, most amps over about 40 - 50 watts had one. They reduce hum in high gain circuits, much like filter caps do (but i think they filter high frequencies). I would imagine the second is a small filament transformer for something inside the amp, perhaps to do with the power scaling system. What a beauty though!
Simon
Simon Wicks
Prince

Postby medwards1969 on Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:11 am

Hey Victor, do you have any inside scoop on whether Billy is using this amp or any Mojave as his main amp on his current tour? I went to the Corpus Christi Show March 23 and it sounded awesome. But, Billy had all his gear out of site, you couldn't see anything except the Band and those flash guitars he plays. He played Humbuckers the entire show I might add. "Just Got Paid" on a single Bridge pickup gold glitter painted (totally) Les Paul with a slide was the highlight song, in my opinion. Did he play your Scorpion?
Scorpion#33
medwards1969
Certified

Postby TMB on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:10 pm

Someone please call Billy fast and tell him to use his Mojave. His tone on VH1 Rock Honors was horrible. :( It's sounded like a bad 80's rack gear rig that doesn't clean up when you turn your volume down.

Does anyone know what those amps were so I can avoid them at all cost?
TMB
Page

Postby scitch on Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:13 am

well the amp was a .........mojave
scitch

Postby scitch on Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:13 am

im kidding
scitch

Postby TubeGetter on Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:22 pm

On the actual tour I'm almost 100% sure it's the Mojave rack stuff.

At the VH1 show, they had those Crate stacks on stage. It might have been them. Yeah, not good.
TubeGetter
Emperor

Postby medwards1969 on Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:10 pm

I'll bet Victor is under a secrecy agreement not to talk about Billy's gear, and that the picture is all we'll ever know unless the press can sneak one somehow. Gibbons is the most secretive of all the musicians I've seen. He is just never going to give anyone an honest answer, never!

He had none of the real gear in plain sight at the show I attended. Guitars only!
Scorpion#33
medwards1969
Certified

Postby plexi on Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:36 pm

Honestly, Billy is using the amp I have posted in this thread for his live rig. Elwood, his Tech has phoned me from the road on several occasions and they are extremely pleased according to the reports I get from him directly. That's a good sign...., What we built isn't for show on stage, It's for real life use. They requested it because it sounds better then what he has used in the past, Its reliable, It's flexible for the touring and most importantly, They like it. I don't expect to elbow people out of the way so to speak. Yes you will see Crate on their Stage and that is that. Billy Gibbons asked for the Scorpion to improve his tone and for his own liking. It's not making us rich, but it doesn't suck either.
plexi
Site Admin

Postby PUCKBOY99 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:29 pm

Badass looking amp!!!
Celtic Edana 45(KT66s)
Marshall 1966A 2x12 (G12H30/V30)

Overbuilt Clubber(EL84s)
Marshall 1965B 4x10(Weber Blue Pups/Celestion G10L-35s))

WWW.AZPEACEMAKERS.COM
PUCKBOY99
Certified

Postby motrock on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:58 am

I like to rock!!!!
motrock
Knight

Postby TubeGetter on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:36 pm

From what I understand, their sound and rig was totally messed up when they went on and they were not happy about it at all. But you have to go on and pretend everything's normal and OK. Who knows what was actually being used at that moment. It sounds nothing like the their rig on tour.....which is using the Scorpion (rack mounted) with real Mullards in it.
TubeGetter
Emperor

Postby dnatronic on Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:29 pm

I recently saw ZZ Top at Red Rocks and their sound was much better than this (VH1). Whenever I see hard rock guitar slingin' rock bands on TV their sound always seems to suck, except when they play on Saturday Night Live.

In general, it sounds like they are taking the feed from the vocal monitors rather than taking a direct feed from the amps or a mic'd cab. I think it's a conspiracy by the media companies to suppress great guitar tones and prevent people from realizing how good bands with great guitar tones and playing really are! :evil:
dnatronic
Page

Postby AC50 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:44 pm

Vic, this is very interesting. I'm one of the biggest Billy Gibbons fans out here. Can you tell us the difference between this and the normal prouction Scorpion?

I think it's quite a coincidence that I've been pondering a Scorpion for about a year now, myself. Ever since last Tonefest, in Clearwater. I was pretty blown away by that amp.
AC50
Emperor

Postby plexi on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:10 pm

Since this is a road amp that needed to be rack mounted we had a different cabinet to work with and there was more space for a few things. Adjustable Bias with prob outputs on the back. A built in dummy load to shut off speakers if need be. We used some super high end tube sockets and front mounted power damping and line level output. We also used an aux Filament transformer for the heaters for lower noise. I think that might be it. Probably missing something but that is what I recall off the top if my head.
plexi
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Mojave AmpWorks