Cayote

Discuss the Mojave AmpWorks product line.

Cayote

Postby telecastermark on Fri May 17, 2013 11:06 am

Interesting story about a Cayote!

A few years ago I tried to become a distributor here in the UK for Mojave, Not for lack of willingness on myside or support from Victor I just could not make it happen.
I had a nice portfolio of brands with the two premium brands being Mojave & James Trussart. However the music shops in the UK are only interested in the big brands Fender, Marshall, Gibson PRS etc as these sell themselves. Anything else is of no interest unless they can buy for a penny and sell for a pound and the company that is distributing the product has a massive advertising budget so the public will just walk in and buy the product with no input from the sales staff. That would be too hard work!

Anyway.. lets cut to the story.

One of the amps that I brought in was a sweet little Cayote Head and I loved it. At the trade shows I would always have that sitting at the back a little out of view because I did not want to sell it. It just had the best "feel and tone" of any amp I had ever played (I should know I have gone through a lot of amps). Anyway some eagle eyed punter spotted it and bought it on the spot without even trying it. I sold him it through gritted teeth but I was trying to build the brand so sales count.
Needless to say with the credit crunch and attitude of the shops I could not keep it going so over the years I have gone through Amps like there is no tomorrow but the only amp that I could say that I loved (nearly) as much as the Cayote was the Bogner Goldfinger. On my EL84 quest I recently just sold a Vox AC30 Handwired to pay for a DR Z and needless to say I was gutted. The Dr Z Maz Senior NR is brittle and harsh. How anyone can make EL84's sound like this and be classed as a great amp builder I will never know. Tone is subjective and I understand that we all have different tase but even with the treble at 8 o'clock it is too bright. So I sold it and decided to look at e-bay and see if there was anything that could cure my EL84 induced depression. I sat for hours going through page after page of over priced Marshalls, Mesa's & Oranges and I stumbled accross the Cayote from all those years ago! Bought it and now I am happy! A long lost friend is back.

I am even thinking of getting a Bad Cat Unleashed so I can use the Cayote for gigging but similar to Mojave the UK stores just don't seem to put the investment in to them either and the chances of getting an Unleashed are slim to F@ck all. I dont want to go down the road of taking a line out feed to a Crate Power block if I would not be getting the whole tone of the amp. Can anyone advise how much of the Cayote's tone comes out the line out?

Anyway I am more than happy, I have my Cayote and to quote an old Scottish Saying "Whats For Ye, Will Not Go By Ye!"
telecastermark
Peasant

Re: Cayote

Postby AlanC on Fri May 24, 2013 10:45 am

Hi there,

There are different ways of using the Crate Powerblock in a Line Out situation. You can go into the front of the Crate, and that way, all the controls of the Crate are active, so you have to blend that into the sound as well.
The way I use the Crate Powerblock ( came across it on this forum years ago ) is: I take a line out of the back of my Scorpion - into a Mad Professor Delay - out of the delay and into the back of the Crate - its either the send or the return ( the one on the right if you are looking at the back of the Crate ). This bypasses all the controls on the Crate and its only the sound of the Mojave you get, this way.
Works great for me. I have 2 Mojave 2 x 12 cabs- The Scorpion powering one dry, and the Crate powering the other one wet and it sounds great.
Hope this helps!

Alan.
AlanC
Peasant

Postby mentoneman on Fri May 24, 2013 3:51 pm

the powerblock is good enough for viv

it makes me kinda mad that crate can produce something that small and feature packed with a carry bag for $99 bucks!--lightweight fx loop rca ins xlr out standalone amp or stereo power amp or bridged mono operation--though mine has died once already!

i'm kinda going toward powered speakers/monitors for w/d or w/d/w these days--i have a tech 21 power engine, an EV SXA100+ powered wedge, and QSC K12 incoming. at home i use a pair of little Maudio Dx4 computer monitors for stereo fx experimentation. i also have a rivera rockcrusher on the way as an upgrade to my thd 16 ohm hotplate.
mentoneman
Squire

Postby AlanC on Fri May 24, 2013 4:14 pm

Hi Mentoneman,

Love your Landau inspired clips on Youtube! Excellent stuff! Had a Tyler SE myself until recently. Still have my Custom Audio OD 100ML. Do you still have the High Gain Peacemaker? Saw clips of Vic playing it, and it sounds great!
Speaking of Viv - Saw him playing his Scorpion with the Fulltone Tube Tape Echo unit through the Crate Powerblock with Thin Lizzy last year in Dublin, and it sounded amazing. The only other effects he had were a Hendrix Wah and an Angry Troll Boost pedal for solos. He had a far richer tone than Scott, who was using Engl Amps.

Cheers,
Alan.
AlanC
Peasant

Postby mentoneman on Sat May 25, 2013 11:48 am

rocking the HG peacemaker--just a killer.

years ago vic ran a coyote/peacemaker rig--coyote for leads and PM for crunch. that was toneful!

i would love to one day score a plexi45 with good kt66s
mentoneman
Squire

Return to Mojave AmpWorks