rock Biographies

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Postby art_z on Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:09 am

christco wrote:I forgot, Johnny Rotten's book, "Rotten", was pretty good also. I would have said it was a little on the self-serving side, but he includes corroborating segments written by the people that were there besides himself. Many big names contributed to that book...

or the raving lunacy in "Teenage Lobotomy - Surviving the Ramones" by Dee Dee Ramone. I was fortunate enough to get my copy autographed (it was also called "Poison Heart" for the first edition) before he died.
art_z
Knight

Postby lkb23 on Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:46 pm

How could I forget - On the Road with the Ramones by Frank Meyer (who also has a kick-ass band called Streetwalkin' Cheetahs) was incredible.
www.myspace.com/brandnewgods
www.myspace.com/levkalman

Truth and love
are my law and worship
Form and conscience
my manifestation and guide
Nature and peace are
my shelter and companion
Order is my attitude
Beauty and perfection
Are my attack
lkb23
Knight

Postby art_z on Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:09 pm

lkb23 wrote:How could I forget - On the Road with the Ramones by Frank Meyer (who also has a kick-ass band called Streetwalkin' Cheetahs) was incredible.

Wasn't that written by Monte Melnick, their tour manager? or was is it a collaboration. or do I have my Ramones books confused?
art_z
Knight

Postby lkb23 on Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:07 pm

You've got the right book, I think it was written by Frank Meyer (maybe with Monte Melnick?) but had several contributions from Monte Melnick, as well as interview snippets from other people around at that time. Its the best Ramones book I've read and one of the best rock bios I've read as well.

Truth and love
are my law and worship
Form and conscience
Nature and peace are
my shelter and companion
Order is my attitude
Beauty and perfection
Are my attack
lkb23
Knight

Coupla more

Postby Tommy G on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:30 pm

"Full Moon" (HILARIOUS BOOK written by Dougal Butler, Keith Moon's chauffeur).

"Midnight Riders" (Allmans)

"Three Dog Nightmare" (Chuck Negron of TDN, about his slide into hell and back...a lighthearted (NOT) quick read!)
Tommy G
Knight

Postby lkb23 on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:12 pm

didn't Keith Moon run over & kill his chauffeur? Was it the same guy who owrote the book?

Truth and love
are my law and worship
Form and conscience
Nature and peace are
my shelter and companion
Order is my attitude
Beauty and perfection
Are my attack
lkb23
Knight

Postby LongLiveRock on Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:39 pm

Nope, that was Neil Boland who died under the wheels of Moon's car. Dougal Butler was more of an accomplice to Moon's escapades!

Speaking of which....

Dear Boy: The Life Of Keith Moon!

I've got a Jim Morrison book at home too which is really good, can't for the life of me remember what its called though, sorry!

Long Live Cheese
This is a thing called......"I'm Going Home"......by helicopter.....*10 minutes of pure guitar madness*
LongLiveRock
Baron

Postby zen.state on Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:56 pm

the FREE bio is quite interesting and very sad "HEAVY LOAD"........

Kossoff is the focus quite a bit as he was pretty out of control a lot.......what a player...so much fire....

Lots of really cool pictures in Heavy Load, one of the best bios (if not THE) for band pictures.....and it's in a nice HARDBACK.......£25 I think...

the Brian Wilson bio is very good...WOULDN'T IT BE NICE...a very moving story.....

the DAVE DAVIES bio KINK is very funny and weird......very funny at times.....he got visited by aliens etc...took every drug imaginable...breakdowns, debauchery, fighting, rocknroll, ...etc etc
whereas RAY's book X RAY seems semi fictionalised and less detailed and maybe less real...still quite nice but not as gritty...and not the same story
zen.state
Sir Moderator

Postby spangled99 on Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:18 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 64-0346058

Julian Cope - the second volume (Repossessed), about life in Tamorth after the Teardrop Explodes, is the best.

Just for PP credibility - he plays a 335 12-string through an old Vox AC30, but I don't think he's overly geekish about it.

Following his book on Krautrock and The Modern Antiquarian, the follow-up Repossessed surfaced. This takes us from the fallout of the Teardrops, to the early classic solo albums (World Shut..., Fried) to a brief flirtation with pop/success(ish) (St Julian, My Nation Underground) and then a rebirth of Cope around the death of Pete De Freitas and the album Skellington. The next step would be towards those concentric circles and with the great Peggy Suicide album.

There are so many great anecdotes here, a look at the odd world of Fried (where Stephen Lovell's Brian Wilson obssession was encouraged), Cope going shopping and ending up in a canal (?), the discovery of toys and Donald Ross Skinner, the rejection of Scott Walker, the infamous microphone incident and the subsequent coolest mic stand in the world. The ideas behind a great pop song- see World Shut Your Mouth/She's My Lord theory. There is too much here- the neighbours who terrorise him with his own music (and Led Zep), the amusing tour of Japan that saw the Cope band getting off on Parsley ("fresh"!) and a vague idea at the end of the book that things are going to change (Bulgakov's great The Master & Margarita is mentioned).
Last edited by spangled99 on Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spangled99
Baron

Postby master keeper on Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:18 pm

who wrote the free book?
master keeper
Prince

Postby spangled99 on Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:29 pm

spangled99
Baron

Postby Hackubus on Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:00 pm

I've read three or four this year, these stand out for various reasons.

So You Wanna Be a Rock & Roll Star: How I Machine-Gunned a Roomful of Record Executives and Other True Tales from a Drummer's Life -
was a good read. It's written by the drummer from Semisonic. A pretty good insight into record company mismanagement and how things were in the music biz in the late 90s.

Scar Tissue Anthony Keidis' bio (RHCP) stinker. Avoid. Basically his journal of ever drug score he ever made.

Motley Crue's The Dirt. Darn good read!
Hackubus
Certified

Postby spangled99 on Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:37 pm

The Crue! We are not worthy!
spangled99
Baron

Postby CP 103 on Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:11 am

The Zombies: Hung Up On a Dream by Claes Johnson is good from the creative side of things, not focused on scandal, like most of these books are. Rod Argent told me it was mostly accurate.

Pegasus Carousel by Michael Stuart-Ware, is the story of Love, '60s losers who shot themselves in the foot, as told by their drummer. It's a book on CD.

Riders on the Storm by John Densmore (drummer), is a good book about the inner workings of The Doors. He talks about what it's like to be at the mercy of a raging drunk.

Fender: The Inside Story by Forrest White is a must-read for all you fans of vintage amps and guitars. Forrest was Leo's best friend and production manager at Fender from 1958 to 1970. He also worked at Rickenbacker and MusicMan.
CP 103
Knight

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Lounge