Thumbs Carlisle

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Thumbs Carlisle

Postby AC50 on Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:58 am

How many of you guys remember this guy?

Not much of a web site, but a pretty cool sound clip by the guy who played the guitar like a lap steel guitar long before Jeff Healey.

http://www.geocities.com/bighollowtwang ... lisle.html
AC50
Emperor

Postby Mayhawk on Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:05 am

Oh, I remember Thumbs...........but in kind of a negative way. I read an old GUITAR PLAYER interview with him many years ago, and he was asked if he read music. His reply was, "yeah, but not enough to hurt me." I guess he was kidding, but about the same time I read an interview with Chet Atkins and he said "it's plain foolishness for a guitarist to not be able to read music." At my young and impressionable age, I thought it was heresy to contradict the Certified Guitar Player! But yeah, Thumbs could/can play that thing!
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby BURN on Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:26 am

Man...that's what I'm talkin' bout!!

I just love players like that; Junior Brown, Gatton, Buchannan.

Thanks for a new inspiration!
BURN
Squire

Postby Steve Gambrell on Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:20 pm

Mayhawk, Chet made that same statement many moons ago. I've heard tons of country pickers say it, then sight-read like session pros. Sort of a way of bragging, I guess. Thumbs was a great theorist, good chordal knowledge---just an AMAZING player!
Steve Gambrell
Baron

Postby Mayhawk on Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:25 pm

Mayhawk, Chet made that same statement many moons ago. I've heard tons of country pickers say it, then sight-read like session pros. Sort of a way of bragging, I guess. Thumbs was a great theorist, good chordal knowledge---just an AMAZING player!

Yep, I probably read that back in the '70's, when GP was a happy 'no-attitude' magazine, just thrilled to bring us guitar related news. And yes, lots of other pickers will say the same thing...........kind of like wearing cowboy hats.............part of the 'aw-shucks' scene. Can't be putting on airs in country. But yeah, when you walk in the studio in LA or Nashville, you best have it on, bro! :wink:
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby Steve Gambrell on Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:49 pm

[/quote]Yep, I probably read that back in the '70's, when GP was a happy 'no-attitude' magazine

Yep, those were the days, weren't they???
Steve Gambrell
Baron

Return to Off-Topic Lounge