Help me decide on a Gibson SG

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Help me decide on a Gibson SG

Postby Nickcha on Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:06 pm

OK, I've never owned one but I've been playing the Pete Townsend model w/ the P90s everytime I go to the music store. I like the chunky neck, P90 tone and whole overall vibe.

That started me looking on eBay and the online classifieds. I'm not gonna pay allot or look for a pristine vintage piece, but I'd like a really good sounding and feeling SG. So give me the benefit of your experiences - positive and negative - and help me w/ a decision.
Nickcha
Patron Saint Of Moderation

Re: Help me decide on a Gibson SG

Postby Mrhiwatt on Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:31 pm

A guitar like that is only half of the equation, you'll need a Hiwatt to make the whole experience unfold! ;)

Seriously, just make sure it has a HUGE neck. For some reason, the chunky neck thing makes these so cool!
Get a half life - - Einstien
Mrhiwatt
April Fool

Postby Alan on Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:54 pm

I own two SG's, my first being the Pete Townshend SG. It's by far the most resonant hunk of wood w/ metal on it out there and absolutely destroys my Standard SG!

The chunky neck on the townshend is fantastic but not for the little hand people out there....it's a night and day difference when i play the standard as my backup guitar. I feel like a can throw the standard around a lot more than the Townshed and the standard has a much thinner neck.

I am much more worried about cracking the neck on the Standard than the Townshend. With the live shows my band plays, we go absolutely bezerk on stage, so one will crack sooner or later.

Get the Townshend, you will be VERY pleased you did and the P-90's rip.
i luv amps, autocross, and road racing
Alan
Page

Postby voodoovox on Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:05 pm

Nickcha I have two SG Jrs, a '63 & a '67. The '63 has a slim tapered neck, highly beveled body, small pick guard and a hot P90, the '67 has a nice big fat neck, a "chunkier" body, big pick guard but the P90 does not have the bite of the '63. If I were looking for a Special, I'd look for one with a small pick guard which were available up through 1966. But you might have to live with a smaller neck.

Th PT SG I tried out had a large neck, bigger than my '67
voodoovox
Certified

Postby Custom50 on Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:07 pm

I haven't tried the PT, but I have an SG Classic, which has the P-90's (yay!) and the Kluson-style Tuners w/ plastic knobs (boo!). I got it at a fantastic price, so I'm not complaining, but I have a a set of Grovers I'm planning to put on it. The neck is pretty substantial as SG's go, and feels great. As someone said, it's a very resonant chunk of wood and the P-90s scream through my Hiwatts. It very quickly became my stage #1 (and allowed me to leave the '77 Double Cut/P-90 Special at home). I even set it up with 11's, an .012 E and the PT-approved med-high action so you can really dig into it. Anyone else had the chance to play the PT and Classic that could tell me if the PT has a different neck?

I'm still looking for a good vintage model too, Nick. There were a couple nice '69-'70's on eBay about a month ago. They do show up.
Never let the music get in the way of the stage act...
Custom50
Page

Postby saltydog on Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:17 pm

I've been playing a '61 Hysterical RI for the last couple of years.It has a thinner neck and is equipped with the '57 Classic hb's.Very resonant and has the extra p/u in it that has a nice glassy chime to it.And being a white one doesn't hurt in the looks dept. ;)
saltydog
Squire

Postby GodRockBoy on Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:50 pm

My favorite guitar that I've ever owned was a '66 SG Jr. If you're not a pickup switcher, check out a Jr. It just doesn't get any better IMO.
GodRockBoy
Knight

Postby Abílio on Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:14 am

Originally posted by saltydog:
... a '61 Hysterical RI...
Does she "scream" a lot? :)
LOL
Abílio

Image "For those about to rock, I salute you." Image
Abílio
Knight

Postby jcs on Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:05 am

watch out for unstable necks and cracks in the neck-body joint......the best era seems to be early mid-60s but i have seen great and poor examples from 60s and 70s.......i have owned several sgs with great tone but serious neck movement..........had to sell all of them.....still looking and have passed up a few nice jrs from the mid 60s........the tone varies a lot,imo....try thru an amp first...dont buy into the "oh it resonates so well"......no one plays an electric unplugged that i know of.....jcs
jcs
King

Postby dylumph on Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:12 am

I spent several years looking at SGs and never could find "it". You know, old wood,P-90s,great feel, tune-o-matic bridge (worst mistake). I couldn't imagine attenuating a wrap around bridge/tailpiece. I was looking at a R9 Les Paul at MARS(right before they closed) and while the guy tried to find the extra goodies in the back I picked up a Pete Townshend SG.It had **** strings but being a Hiwatt owner,it had my attention.I played it over an hour and she stayed in tune all the way up the neck the whole time! He came back unable to find any of the stuff that came with the LP and ask what I'd give for the SG.They wanted a grand so I jokingly said $500. He said I'll go get the case! I was stunded but still managed to ask for new strings and he agreed! Now I don't have to look at beat up all to hell old SGs anymore. Even the G string attenuates perfectly. Its a good gigging guitar and stays in tune outside at night in humidity (to me the ultiment test!).
dylumph
dylumph
Knight

Postby mellow_johnson on Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:36 am

I have played and owned a few SGs in my time as well, however the only one that really did it for me was my '62 re-issue, which i've had new from '91. The difference between the 61 and 62 ris escapes me but I think it's probably the pickups more than anything else.....Since then though i've owned others, for example an SG special from the 70s, one with the mini humbuckers and block inlays, and it was to be frank terrible. Weedy pickups, inlays falling out, dodgy neck joint, wouldn't stay in tune....I've also played my fair share of standards, and would say that the later (mid 90s - on) ones are better - I just don't like SGs with the late 60s / 70s style neck joint which is not directly at the body - or rather the body protrudes further out in the direction of the neck.....if you see what I mean! I believe the neck / body join is probably weaker on my ri but it just feels better with the slim taper neck and all. My 62 has been played constantly for 10 years now, gigging 2 - 3 times a week for at least half of that, and never let me down - it stays in tune, strings (10s) don't break, and it sounds great. Now however it is ready for some TLC so i'll be having it re-setup, frets checked, neck relief, new bridge saddles etc. as well as a pickup change (Angus Young humbucker for the bridge). It's been my number one for a long time and I never thought i'd ever find anything to replace it - then I got my Versoul. The SG though for me occupies it's own space in the lairy blues through to loud rock / metal areas, it's not a guitar I would necessarily choose for clean tones..P90s however might change that.
Like 2 flamingoes in a fruit fight
mellow_johnson
Squire

Postby Nickcha on Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:29 pm

I just tried the PT model again and I'm pretty convinced it's what I'm looking for; fat stable neck, thin satin laquer, nice sounding wood, great sounding P90s. All three positions are very sweet and distinctive.
Nickcha
Patron Saint Of Moderation

Postby Duncan on Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:01 pm

Originally posted by Nickcha:
I just tried the PT model again and I'm pretty convinced it's what I'm looking for;
A Big neck, light body, and thin finish are the three things that really make a good sounding guitar, IMHO.

I have always wanted to like SG's, but the controls are all too close together, and I always fumble on them.
Duncan
Knight

Postby saltydog on Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:26 pm

Abilio,yes it does scream,but in a good way :D .The "hysterical" is a code for Historic coined by another member of this board.I think it was in reference to the price being sought by Gibson dealers.And Nickcha, are the P90's a deciding feature for you?.I like the buckers because they seem to get get me to a Cream era sound fairly well.Good luck with the Townsend model.I'm starting to want one too!
saltydog
Squire

Postby Abílio on Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:01 am

Originally posted by saltydog:
Abilio,yes it does scream,but in a good way :D .The "hysterical" is a code for Historic coined by another member of this board.
:D
I think it was in reference to the price being sought by Gibson dealers.
:mad:
Abílio

Image "For those about to rock, I salute you." Image
Abílio
Knight

Next

Return to Off-Topic Lounge