Jimi Hendrix

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Re: Jimi Hendrix

Postby JTM100 on Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:27 pm

I think Oldguy summed it up best. Hendrix played a part in his death but there were other forces at work also. His management was horrible. In terms of his performances, he was clearly stoned for Monterey, and that is one of his best imo. However, he was also clearly on cloud nine for Isle of Wight, and that show was horrid. I think that towards the end he was taking drugs to go to sleep and then to stay awake whereas in the beginning it was more recreational and experimental. I read that Hendrix had been awake for 3 days straight prior to taking the stage at Isle of Wight.
I have read the Mitch Mitchell book as well as a few other biographies over the years. The woman was his girlfriend, Monika Dannemen. She was German and the sleeping pills that he took were hers. The pills were German and apparenty for some reason the dosages were different so Hendrix wound up taking a higher dose than he thought. She had gone to the store and was not there when this was happening. They had drank some wine at dinner, exactly how much alcohol Hendrix consumed?, who knows? . Monika came home and found him laying in bile and called Eric Burdon who in turn told her to call the ambulance. Where this all gets interesting is, from what I have read, the coroners report said that there were not enough drugs in Hendrix' body to kill him. When he was in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, the paramedics held him upright with his head tilted back. They wouldnt let him lean forward where he would have possibly been able to vomit. Instead, the vomit came up and then seeped back down, thus suffocating him. I dont think that Hendrix commited suicide or that there is any copnspiracy. I think that it was several bad situations coming together at the wrong time. Of course, all this info is just what I have read over the years. I personally wasnt there and I am going to guess that the authors of all the biographies werent either.

As far as hating him for his lifestyle. I dont approve of the lifestyle that Hendrix led, and he paid the ultimate price for it. But, Hendrix was a man of his time. He wasnt doing anything that the rest of the majority of that generation wasnt also doing. It just didnt work out for him in the worst way. I love Hendrix and I love his music. I think that eventhough he had some problems, he was a good person.
JTM100
Knight

Postby TOMSCHMITT on Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:23 pm

What!!!!

Hendrix Dead?

I thought he went fishing with Leftee this weekend?
TOMSCHMITT
Page

Postby Michael Patrick on Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:29 pm

Yes I am experienced.... And it changed me for the better, IMHO.

If you are going to restrict your listening to artists that haven't tried drugs, I think the list would be Ted Nugent and maybe Barry Manilow. But I'm not absolutely sure about Barry.

Just think of all of the jazz cats that were junkies. Hell, Miles Davis was a junkie for a lot of years, and look at his contribution to music. I can dig it if you don't approve of the lifestyle, though. But it seems to me that enjoying Jimi's music while simultaneously deploring his lifestyle is not logically inconsistent.
The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down
Michael Patrick
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Postby jcs on Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:27 am

fwiw, i have interviews of ted nugent from the seventies stating where he did try hash, but it made him feel out of control!! now ted tries to act like he did none at all!! i know many artists that have been totally clean for years including my self!! drugs are a waste of money,wrecks your body,and your reputation when you need to get a REAL job,so you can live!!! i had no problem kicking pot or cigarettes!! cant say the same for some of the people i have known though.......jimi hendrix was one of those people like paul kossoff, that couldnt say NO to the leaches and hangers on that helped wreck both of their lives..........i have had to say no and tell certain people to get the hell out of my life because they refused to change their pitiful,pathetic ways!! most have wound up dead or unemployed or in and out of jail.......****ing sad and i am damn glad it is all behind me......jcs
jcs
King

Postby Joeboy on Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:59 am

Originally posted by oldguy:
IMHO, Hendrix was a victim of youthful exuberance, the onslaught of rapid & unprecedented success, & the times he lived in.

Everything I have seen about him indicates to me that he was a very nice man, a talented artist to the extreme & kinda shy.

Maybe he got caught in the trap, but it was'nt entirely of his own design.
The way I figure, I have been ignorant in attempting to judge the character of a very special creative person during a time that people today will probably never be able to understand. I read all of the posts and can appreciate each person's point (even the more hostile ones) because it really isn't my place. Although I would argue it is rather irresponsible in today's world for an artist to suffer the same end, I have to agree that it Jimi Hendrix was as much a victim as he was at fault. I can't judge Jim Croce or Ritchie Valens for getting on a plane. I suppose sometimes it is just difficult to accept the loss. Jimi, like so many others, deserved to see the results of his influence and talents. Thank you for the feedback.
Heat your home this winter with a MARSHALL!!
Joeboy
Court Jester

Postby drewl on Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:24 pm

Are they sure he choked on his own vomit? You can't really dust for vomit can you?

Okay, so i was trippin' and playing guitar for like 3 hours or so when i developed this bad pain in my chest. I looked down to see that i was holding the guitar so tight against my body that i had a LesPaul imprint across my chest!
drewl
Prince

Postby Crunchyriff on Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:37 pm

You can't really dust for vomit can you?
I wouldn't advise trying it for yourself. Yes, you can.
When the Trumpet sounds, I'm outta this dump...
Crunchyriff
Baron

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Lounge