Jimi Hendrix

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Jimi Hendrix

Postby Joeboy on Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:53 am

I used to be a really big Jimi Hendrix fan as a teenager when I first played the guitar. No one can deny what an amazing creative musician he was, and what a powerful icon he was in his time. I've heard he was one the nicest people you could ever meet. But as I got older and learned more about the his lifestyle, I was turned off more and more. The age-old story of the rock star basically killing himself due to lack of self control is beginning to get old. Recently I bought the Woodstock DVD of his complete performance, it's amazing! Watching it, I couldn't help but wonder, how much of his creativity was due to his drug use, how much of his reported drug use was TRUE, and was his untimely death, and ultimately the "theft" of the great gifts he offered all of us, more to blame on an irresponsible lifestyle, or an unfortunate accidental overdose to a drug experimenter. I'm no straight edge, I am just trying very hard to find a reason not to hate the guy as much as I love his music. I've read he was a part-time user and I've read he was addicted to heroin. I've also read several acounts of what happened the night he died. I wondered what some of you guys really think, especially those who were there in that time period. Was he a victim of his time and I should give him a break? Or was he a selfish out of control "user" who we shouldn't put on such a pedestal. It's hard for me to even type those words, but I would really like to know what you think. :confused:
Heat your home this winter with a MARSHALL!!
Joeboy
Court Jester

Re: Jimi Hendrix

Postby oldguy on Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:15 am

IMHO, Hendrix was a victim of youthful exuberance, the onslaught of rapid & unprecedented success, & the times he lived in.

Everything I have seen about him indicates to me that he was a very nice man, a talented artist to the extreme & kinda shy.

Maybe he got caught in the trap, but it was'nt entirely of his own design.
oldguy
Baron

Postby Jlwctn on Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:31 am

OK, Mr. Smart Guy, if he "killed himself", tell me exactly how he did it.
Screwcap... It's a way of LIFE!!!
Jlwctn
Knight

Postby Jlwctn on Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:34 am

That is, if you can get off of your high horse and can see anything without looking down your nose.
Jlwctn
Knight

Postby Jlwctn on Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:49 am

Sorry, but when you start raggin' on Hendrix (especially with BAD INFORMATION), it strikes a nerve.
Jlwctn
Knight

Postby 100watt on Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:57 pm

Just enjoy his music for what it is....Great Tunes!
100watt
Certified

Postby Mr_Fluffy on Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:07 pm

Go ahead and hate me!!! :D

I think a lot of jimi's style was created with the help of drugs. More specifically, LSD.

I mean that is the grandaddy superpower of all drugs. It is one of the most potent (doses measured in micrograms) and mind-altering drug out there.

You take an extremely talented blues guitar player, throw in some LSD, mix that around with the culture at the time and some good producers and publicists...

Don't get me wrong, I love Jimi. I think he was amazing, brilliant, a living guitar god. I just think the acid helped channel the energies into the uphoric, orgasmic displays that Hendrix was famous for.

I can't imagine it's coincidence that many of my favorite guitar players have history soaked in halucinogens.

That being said, I also get angry when I think of Jimi's fire getting snuffed out prematurely, very angry. I hate the ugly side of drug abuse and the absence of self control, the basic loss of self preservation that appears with deep drug addiction. It is some ugly sh*t that tarnishes even the most beautiful creations created with the "help" of chemicals.

O.K. - I'll stop now, I'm ranting...

sorry :eek:
Over and out
Mr_Fluffy
Squire

Postby 100watt on Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:19 pm

Wow what a trip man :cool:
100watt
Certified

Postby Jlwctn on Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:59 pm

There was some ALCOHOL involved there too, wasn't there?
Jlwctn
Knight

Postby ®ëv. ßïll¥ © on Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:45 pm

Story I heard is that on that last, fateful night, he & a lady-friend (can't rememer the name) went to a party. He left the party to head back to the lady-friend's apartment/flat and took a sleeping pill to help him sleep. From what I hear, sleeping medications in Europe are double the dose that they are here in the States, so one breaks the pill in half to get the dose. He didn't, and when mixed with whatever he had consumed at the party, that was enough to knock him out...

The rest is history... :(
ImageImageImage

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." --- Thomas Jefferson
®ëv. ßïll¥ ©
The Central Scrutinizer

Postby ShaneT on Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:46 pm

FWIW Hendrix was never a heroin addict. Mitch Mitchell, who speaks very candinly of thier drug use said that he and Hendrix had both tried Heroin and niether really cared for it. He also says that the Canadian heroin bust was a frame up. Before you take some silly holier than thou stance on a subject about which you know very little, I suggest that in the future you do a little reseach so that you don't seem as foolish.

BTW, I'm sure acid did have a huge impact on him as it did lots of players (clapton,page, all of those fellas), but what's wrong with that? I haven't done drugs or drank in about fifteen years but I think the world would be a better place if more people would experiment with psychedelics.
Shane
ShaneT
Page

Postby DanTheBluesMan on Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:56 pm

BTW, I'm sure acid did have a huge impact on him as it did lots of players (clapton,page, all of those fellas), but what's wrong with that? I haven't done drugs or drank in about fifteen years but I think the world would be a better place if more people would experiment with psychedelics.
Yeah, especially those Guatamalean Insane Asylum Peppers. :D
DanTheBluesMan
Knight

Postby Mrhiwatt on Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:46 pm

Because someone does, or has done acid, should not warrant hate. If it does, you may have a bigger problem than acid. Yea, doin acid is wrong and stupid, but understand that if you havent been "experienced", you wont know. Dont do it to find out though. Period.

Acid reacts differently from person to person. I know people who tripped and never came back.

I know of a cult that used to do acid and go stare at the sun.

I know people who did acid that became incredible artists.

I was fortunate. It just made me RREEAALL paranoid, and Im hardly a paranoid guy.
Get a half life - - Einstien
Mrhiwatt
April Fool

Postby nbn792 on Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:55 pm

The coroner's report stated he was not and never was addicted to heroin. It also stated he died of barbitious intoxication or something of that matter, more or less he died by choking on his own vomit :( . Whether or not it was on purpose or not no one may ever know. I would prefer if you dropped the issue of his life style and focused on his music. Im sure that no one except for him knew what REALLY happened and sadly since he is no longer with us many "untruths" have come about. So quit ragging on some one who has defined the guitar as the true choise of expression in rock and roll.
nbn792
Squire

Postby 52Boomer on Sun Dec 15, 2002 8:33 pm

The story I heard was that The Girl, who was a white Chick, or something had gone out to the store (to get some Cigs?) and about that time Jimi had injested 9 sleeping pills, enough to kill anyone especially if Alcohol was involved. There is the John Bonham death where choking on Your own vomit is also told of.

I read that Jimi prefered to work in the Studio alot and spent much of His time and Money on that.
" Are you sure that you're not just imagining that ? "
52Boomer
Prince

Next

Return to Off-Topic Lounge