Graph Tech Saddles

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Graph Tech Saddles

Postby TONEGOBLIN on Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:20 pm

Athough I have posted recommendations for use of these saddles, I have a different opinion about Graph Tech saddles now.

I have had some minor issues lately with my strings not sounding as "fresh" as they usually do. I thought maybe it was the strings but....

I got bored the other night and said: "What the hell, I'll put the stock steel saddles back on my Strat just to see what happens"

I still had an old set of strings on after I put the steel saddles on. Damn! what a difference!!

The strings actually sounded new again and the whole sound was more brilliant, alive, sustain from hell etc....

I concluded that it has to be the Graph Tech Gremlins. It's great that you'll hardly ever break strings but, you may suffer tonefully in certain areas.

These are my opinions based on what I have experienced.

Just thought I'd toss this to yaw.
TONEGOBLIN
Certified

Re: Graph Tech Saddles

Postby HighOrder on Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:12 pm

Hmmmmmm ... interesting. I broke a string a couple of weeks ago, and decided to give the old tune-o-matic a good working over. It seemed to have a lot of rough edges and such, so I took some sandpaper to the saddles (light touch here) and tried to make sure there were no burrs or anything that might hasten breakage.

After patting myself on the back and restringing, I actually thought the guitar sounded a little brighter. Fer-crap if I didn't break another string last night!!! Dangit Jim!!!

Made me think I might need them graphite thangs. Maybe I'll just buy more strings. :confused:
ImageStrength and honor.
HighOrder
Baron

Postby 1987plexi on Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:27 pm

A friend of mine suggested Graph Techs to me years ago because I was always breaking the 1st string on my Les Paul. I gig twice a week and play pretty hard. There is some loss of highs with the Graph Techs. What I did was just put a GT on the 1st string saddle and left the others stock. Works for me - haven't broken a string since then!
1987plexi
Court Jester

Postby TONEGOBLIN on Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:34 am

I seen a picture of a guys guitar that had the original steel saddles on the E A and D strings and then had Graph Tech's on the G B and E strings. Sounds interesting.

Besides the loss of highs, I also noticed the notes and chords where ever so slightly muted when using the Graph Tech Saddles.

I change strings every week so, the Graph Tech's aren't doing me any good there anyway. :)
TONEGOBLIN
Certified

Return to Off-Topic Lounge