interesting to say the least.....................

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

interesting to say the least.....................

Postby 1959burst on Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:41 am

It's hard to believe we made it... if you were a child growing up in the 40's, 50's, 60's or 70's.

Looking back, it's hard to believe that we have lived as long as we have. As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. Not to mention hitchhiking to town as a young kid!

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors. We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. Our parents knew that all the neighbors would watch out for all the kids.

No cell phones. Unthinkable. We played dodge ball and sometimes the ball would really hurt. We got cut and broke bones and broke teeth, and there were no law suits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame, but us. Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it. We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank sugar soda but we were never overweight... we were always outside playing. We shared one grape soda with four friends, from one bottle and no one died from this.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, video games at all, 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, Personal Computers, Internet chat rooms... we had friends. We went outside and found them. We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rung the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Imagine such a thing. Without asking a parent! By ourselves! Out there in the cold cruel world! Without a guardian. How did we do it?

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't, had to learn to deal with disappointment. The teams actually kept score and the winning team was allowed to be excited and the losing team learned to be good sports about it and learned that, in life - sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

Some students weren't as smart as others so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. Horrors. Tests were not adjusted for any reason. Almost no one went to "pre-school" and when we graduated high school we all knew how to read, use proper grammar and do basic math. We all learned how to count out change without a calculator to tell us the amount. The worst problems in school were tardiness and chewing gum in class.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected. No one to hide behind. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law, imagine that!

If you misbehaved - your parents spanked you and no one arrested them for doing that! We also learned that when a parent said "No" - they actually meant that and our lives would not be ruined forever by being denied every little thing we wanted at any given moment.

New toys were received on birthdays and holidays... not on every trip to the store. Parents gave us gifts out of love... not out of guilt.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years has been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

Congratulations! We had the luck to grow up as kids before lawyers and government regulated our lives for our own good.
Musican/Luthier/Stringed Instrument Repairman/Resident Instigator http://www.myspace.com/greg1959burstwilson http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=604305709
1959burst
King

Re: interesting to say the least.....................

Postby oldguy on Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:48 am

Well put, Greg!!

Now I don't hate you anymore! :p
oldguy
Baron

Postby mulder on Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:08 am

Wow! You just described my childhood to a tee (except, I didn't eat any worms though :D ;)
mulder
Baron

Postby GodRockBoy on Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:19 am

Amen guys! I'm probablly one of the younger guys on this board (I'm 24 BTW). However, my parents were still of the "old school" when it came to parenting. I am SO thankful for that. I see friends of mine having kids today and it kills me what they think "parenting" is. They talk to their kids and reason with them when they do something wrong. What??? My Dad would've busted my ass and then let me know that if I ever did it again, I'd get my ass busted again. Did I do it? Hell no!!

I see lots of people in resturants with screaming, crying kids and these people do nothing. They proceed to let their kids ruin my meal. Geez, do some parenting! Show these kids who's boss before they grow up and rob me in 10 years!
Pre school? What's that? School before school? No way! My mom used to set down with me to have "school" when I was about 3 or 4. I graduated with honors...apparently paying $200 a month for pre-school wasn't necessary.

My parents didn't shelter me and I think that was my saving grace. I did what I wanted alot of times and learned to think for myself.

I don't drink, I don't smoke and I've never done a drug in my whole life. I've never been in jail and I've never killed anyone. I graduated from high school and recording school in the top half of my class. Wait 10 years and see what the kids of today have to offer. I'm sad to say that I'm not too optimistic about what the outcome will be.

The lessons you learn and the experiences you have in the first 15 years of your life are the most important, if you ask me. Those little "Put my hand on the burner and I'll get burned" lessons are the ones that end up saving your life in the future.
GodRockBoy
Knight

Postby 1959burst on Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:35 am

i can 't take credit for writing this,i recieved it from a good friend and decided to pass it along.
Musican/Luthier/Stringed Instrument Repairman/Resident Instigator http://www.myspace.com/greg1959burstwilson http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=604305709
1959burst
King

Postby GodRockBoy on Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:47 am

Well, it's really cool none-the-less. Thanks for sharing!
GodRockBoy
Knight

Postby drewl on Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:02 pm

That's because all the F-in' tree-hugging hippie turned whiny yuppies grew up to be the worst bunch of liberal dumb-ass politically correct to the point of stupidity- parents and didn't want their kids to have any of the fun we had, and had to blame someone else and sue them for their incredibly poor parenting- or lack of!
drewl
Prince

Postby BloodHound on Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:25 pm

That's Great, Thanks...thought I was reading my childhood...I'm with the PC sentiments full bore..and now we have "Homeland Security" :roll: :roll: :roll: to face..gonna get worse...
Bryant W. Jackson
Nag Champa
BloodHound
Certified

Postby voodude on Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:05 pm

Department of Homeland Security is a joke, except I'm not laughing. Just what the country needs, big-government conservatives. The worst of both worlds.
Are YOU experienced?
voodude
Certified

Postby teleharmonium on Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:25 pm

I have to say I can see the other side of this argument; some of the stuff I was allowed to do as a kid was just crazy, and my stupid Reagan voting cocaine snorting stepfather should have known better than to allow it to happen. Kids need to learn hard lessons sometimes, and it's not a big deal to get bruised up a little when playing vigorously, but parents should know where the hell their kids are, and I wouldn't let my kids fly down large hills where real cars drive in shabby vehicles with no brakes any more than I would let them get drunk and play with loaded guns.
teleharmonium
Squire

Postby GodRockBoy on Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:47 pm

Originally posted by teleharmonium:
I have to say I can see the other side of this argument; some of the stuff I was allowed to do as a kid was just crazy, and my stupid Reagan voting cocaine snorting stepfather should have known better than to allow it to happen. Kids need to learn hard lessons sometimes, and it's not a big deal to get bruised up a little when playing vigorously, but parents should know where the hell their kids are, and I wouldn't let my kids fly down large hills where real cars drive in shabby vehicles with no brakes any more than I would let them get drunk and play with loaded guns.
Well yeah, that's totally obvious. Sure some of the things we did were crazy...still are at times. You gotta know where your kids are now-a-days. What Greg (1959burst) said was that when he was growing up his parents didn't have to worry because if they were down the street playing...someone down the street was watching after them. Hell, I know if I was at my neighbor's house and their parents caught us doing something bad...We ALL got our asses beat. Now, if you touch someone elses kid, you're going to jail and having to deal with a big fat lawsuit for sure.
I agree that you have to know where your kids are now. Noone else is gonna pay attention to them if you don't.
GodRockBoy
Knight

Postby voodude on Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:56 pm

Originally posted by GodRockBoy:
What Greg (1959burst) said was that when he was growing up his parents didn't have to worry because if they were down the street playing...someone down the street was watching after them. Hell, I know if I was at my neighbor's house and their parents caught us doing something bad...We ALL got our asses beat. Now, if you touch someone elses kid, you're going to jail and having to deal with a big fat lawsuit for sure.
I agree that you have to know where your kids are now. Noone else is gonna pay attention to them if you don't.
So to paraphrase, it takes a village to raise a child.
Are YOU experienced?
voodude
Certified

Postby oldguy on Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:07 am

When I was I kid, I'd tell my Mom "I'm going out to play". That was good enough. There were no predators in numbers that we see today. It was a simpler time. It was simple across the board, though. The BEST Christmas I ever had, I got a football, some cowboy 6 guns, & some cowboy boots. I was in HEAVEN. Still some super 8mm film of me playing football in cowboy boots with pistols on somewhere in my family. :D
oldguy
Baron

Postby Mrhiwatt on Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:26 am

Originally posted by oldguy:
When I was I kid, I'd tell my Mom "I'm going out to play". That was good enough. There were no predators in numbers that we see today. It was a simpler time. It was simple across the board, though. The BEST Christmas I ever had, I got a football, some cowboy 6 guns, & some cowboy boots. I was in HEAVEN. Still some super 8mm film of me playing football in cowboy boots with pistols on somewhere in my family. :D
Me too!
Get a half life - - Einstien
Mrhiwatt
April Fool

Postby teleharmonium on Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:42 pm

I just got a pair of my old cowboy boots from my Grandparents house. Damn those things are tiny. My girlfriend says I should have them bronzed !
Cowboys ROCK!
teleharmonium
Squire

Return to Off-Topic Lounge