A good bass amp...

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

A good bass amp...

Postby jarvis on Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:48 am

I know this is kinda OT, but I didn't know where else to post this...

I'm playing bass in a band now, and currently I have an ampeg SVT 350h, and a Hartke 350 at my disposal and I just can't get the sound I want out of either amp.
The ampeg is solid-state, and I'm not too fond of it's tone really. The Hatrke can get me a little closer, but still something is missing...

For cabinets, I have an ampeg 2x10/1x15 and a yorkville 410 to use, and I have no complaints cabinet wise, especially when I'm using both of them.

I'm playing with a Musicman Stringray 4-string, and I absolutely love it.

I just can't seem to get a "round" enough, or rumbling, but melodic sound out of either of these amps. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks alot
Joshua.
jarvis
Certified

Re: A good bass amp...

Postby Skoorb on Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:14 am

What kind of strings are you using ? I only suggest this since years of working on basses has led me to the D´addario Slowounds. They really have great tone and they last better than a lot of strings. The next obvious question is whether or not you need some tubes in your signal path to get the "roundness" you are looking for. Most of the modern amps (SWR etc.) have a tube preamp and that tends to make a pretty big difference. Last but not least, don´t forget to explore the use of eq. If you think the sound you are getting is "real close" to what you want and it just needs a little help, then an eq might do the trick.
To infinity . . . and BEYOND!!!
Skoorb
Squire

Postby jarvis on Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:50 pm

The hartke I use has a tube-preamp, and that helps me get close...but only after about a good amount of time spent EQing it.
jarvis
Certified

Postby oldguy on Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:26 pm

I've got an Eden WT-800 that I really love. It's bi-amped with a 4-10 Carvin cab loaded with EV's & a 1-18 Carvin cab loaded with an EV. It kicks ASS!

I would not recommend an SS amp over a tube amp, though. Even though the Eden has a tube preamp, it is a different animal & the SVT, Hiwatt 200, Sunn 2000, etc. can produce the power & volume required with a completely different vibe.

With either, you give up something, & you get something.
oldguy
Baron

Postby ¤klÿn¡§§¤ on Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:39 pm

Any 'vintage' Ampeg SVT will give you what you want i'm sure! I'm using a HIWATT DR201 (200watts +rms) for guitar and i'm sure it would be felt in Africa with 4 cabs.. never mind using it for Bass! - get anything by Ampeg or HIWATT thats about 20-30 years old and i'm sure you'll be happy as a pig in sh*t :D
nothing says *vintage* like a stripped pan-head
¤klÿn¡§§¤
Dances With Valves

Postby 1959burst on Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:25 pm

check out mesa/boogie.
Musican/Luthier/Stringed Instrument Repairman/Resident Instigator http://www.myspace.com/greg1959burstwilson http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=604305709
1959burst
King

Postby GodRockBoy on Sun Dec 08, 2002 2:31 pm

One of the best bass amps I ever plugged into wasn't really a bass amp at all. I did some tracks with an Orange OR120 and it blew me away. It was PLENTY loud enough for any gig you'd wanna play too.

Also, '59burst's advice is good. The Mesa/Boogie bass 400+ is one monsterous tone indeed....I'd hate to re-tube one though. :D
GodRockBoy
Knight

Postby 1959burst on Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:43 pm

GRB, you got that right! first time i opened one up and seen all those tubes..............i seen $$$$$$$$$ fallin out my pockets! lol! :D :D :p
Musican/Luthier/Stringed Instrument Repairman/Resident Instigator http://www.myspace.com/greg1959burstwilson http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=604305709
1959burst
King

Postby GodRockBoy on Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:37 am

Hell, I'm too cheap to re-tube a 50 watter. Try getting me to re-tube one of those bastards! No thanks.
GodRockBoy
Knight

Postby teleharmonium on Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:19 pm

I agree a Hiwatt or other serious tube head is the solution. I have a Vamp 100w head that is along those lines and is righteous for fat singing tubey bass. Amps like that will tend to have a 'british' sound to them of course, which may not be quite what you're after, in which case a tube SVT would be optimal but an Ampeg V4 should do the trick for less $ and wattage.
teleharmonium
Squire

Return to Off-Topic Lounge