Torres Engineering

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Re: Torres Engineering

Postby Alan on Sun Dec 01, 2002 10:23 pm

Yea, i've done quite a bit of recent biz w/ Torres. Dan rules, he's a fantastic guy and sometimes he's the only one in the shop w/ the phone ringing and 3 people talkin w/ him.

He's gone so far as to sit me at his bench to teach me some tricks on marshall's, so in my book he's a rad amp tech. Jeff is the resident guitar luthier, i've had basic stuff done by Jeff (pickups, switch replacement) and have been happy w/ Jeff's work. That's not to say others have not...can't speak for them.

I think it's a bit different since I spend a couple lunch hours a week there hanging out, but I give a thumbs up on Dan's amp work w/out a doubt. He's dang good at what he does and take it in stride if you get someone crabby on the phone, it's a small biz that can get super busy.

If you're there, say hi to my 78 marshall combo! Now that sucker's a GOOD ONE, i just don't have any use for it....it's in the shop for sale.
i luv amps, autocross, and road racing
Alan
Page

Postby Woody on Sun Dec 01, 2002 10:37 pm

Victor asks me that too! Maybe I need to pony up for a Coyote?

Hi Alan, can you shoot me an eM regarding the 4x12 case. Thanks
Woody

"More Marshall's"
Woody
Prince

Location: SFO MCO BOS YEG LAX WAS SEA MUC LAS CPR YVR SMF ATL DFW BIL ANC MIA ACV GEG SJC YYC SJD MFR RNO DEN

Postby PinkStrat on Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:51 pm

Stephen White in Berkeley or Chapin Guitars in San Jose would be my personal choices to have any guitar and/or electronical work done in the SF Bay Area. Stephen did all of my work for 15 plus years. He's the best and also closer to you Demo!
PinkStrat
Page

Postby Demo on Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:15 am

Thanks PinkStrat. I appreciate that.
I'm not from this planet.
Demo
Squire

Postby Dave M. on Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:37 am

I dunno. I'm leery of anything from Torres. Ever seen the amp "work" the guy has done? That alone is scary enough to trust him with anything. :eek:

If you can afford Gary Brawer, he does really great work. I've also had very good work done by John Jordan in Concord -- real nice guy,too.

-Dave
Dave M.
Page

Postby Dave M. on Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:18 am

Originally posted by Leftee:
Obviously there are dissenting opinions about this business. Let me add this.

We need to be careful about what is said here. This BBS is owned and operated by a business itself. It is also viewed by a whole bunch of people, many more than those of us that are members. As a rule, negative comments should be kept off-board. If you have a stong dissatisfaction about a place of business, use email. It keeps the Palace out of trouble.

Thanks.
I don't agree with this "policy", but I also respect the fact that it's not my personal playground here. If all that we can express are non-negative opinions of any certain business or individual, then what's the point?
Personally, I've stated my OPINION regarding the individual/business, which is a reply to the original poster's query for such opinions. It was my understanding, at that time, that it was acceptable to respond regardless of positive or negative opinion. God knows, there's been many, many opinions on this BBS that have slagged other businesses and individuals in the past.

Leftee, I can only guess that your statements are in reaction to my earlier post, at the least. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Dave
Dave M.
Page

Postby Woody on Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:17 am

So this is just a job to 'ya Leftee?

Free Peacemakers and Baker Guitars - and just a job..........

I bet there's a line a mile long!............

.......er, ah, what is it you do again?

That's right!

THE PEACEMAKER

He wears his gun on the more artsy swishy side, but he's quick on the draw - that's why they call 'em....

QUICK DRAW LEFTEE - HEEHAW!
Woody

"More Marshall's"
Woody
Prince

Location: SFO MCO BOS YEG LAX WAS SEA MUC LAS CPR YVR SMF ATL DFW BIL ANC MIA ACV GEG SJC YYC SJD MFR RNO DEN

Postby Dave M. on Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:46 am

[quote]Originally posted by Leftee:
[b]Dave,
It was your post as well as others...

...Please don't take this personally. I certainly don't mean to upset anyone with this. I'm just doing my job. :)

-Dave
Dave M.
Page

Postby Demo on Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:00 am

Well first of all Leftee, I have to present the following disclaimer that any expressions made by me were probably plagurized anyway. So I was just rumor mongering.

And seriously, I didn't mean to start anything evil. Maybe we should have used Email instead. But how else can you do this? If I saw a PPBB brother walking into a disaster, I try like heck to prevent it.

As I said, I appreciated the input from EVERYBODY. I always do.

Leftee, we'll try to be good from now on, I promise. Woody puts everybody up to this, but you already know that.
I'm not from this planet.
Demo
Squire

Postby Woody on Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:51 am

I used to get the biggest grief about a liscense plate I had on my Trans AM. It read - HOT AXE.
Pastors would come up to me and tell me their interpretation: 'The Red Hot Axe is at the root of the tree of life' - Homewrecker!

"I'm just as God Made me, Sir!"

Don't worry Leftee, I'll get 'ya outa this jam!

Demo - I promote you to Solitary just so you have more space for gear!
Woody

"More Marshall's"
Woody
Prince

Postby Woody on Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:22 am

Is that yours or mine?
Woody

"More Marshall's"
Woody
Prince

Postby Woody on Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:38 am

That's a quasi positive for maybe both items. I'll send my 4x12 1960B Case over for the 'Bass Combo' - I'd suggest shipping it chassis down casters up. But here's an opportunity - maybe item 'B' will fit into the 4x12 Case. It will be a tight fit! If that could be accomplished, Item 'A' may fit into Item 'B' if the speakers were removed from Item 'B' and put in boxes and put in the dead space of the 4x12 Case (either side)? That would be most awsome!
Woody

"More Marshall's"
Woody
Prince

Postby Noel on Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:28 pm

I don't enjoy posting things like this but unfortunately... here goes: I live in the SF Bay Area, approx 45 mins from Mr. Torres' shop. In these parts, he has a less-than-stellar reputation. I have bought parts from him a couple of times, though. I have only once played through one of his Marshall Mods and thought it was ok, but nothing earth-shattering. He's known more as an amp guy than a guitar guy. I personally have no beef with him, but have met MANY who have. There are other guys located in the area I trust: Keith Reinneger, Amp Lab, Redwood City, Mark Brown in Campbell (Tech for the Dead, Doobies, and many others)to name a couple.
Hope this is Helpful,
Noel
1976 Ibanez Destroyer with routed Floyd Rose
2009 Carvin CS6C (Floyd Rose)
1974 Gibson LP Special 55
1987 Laney Pro Tube 30 Wt Head
1986 Keith Reinneger Reinowatt 50 (hot rodded 2204 Circuit)
1974 Orange 4x12 with 2 Weber Silver Bells and 2 Weber-reconed H30 55hz
Noel
Knight

Postby oldguy on Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:44 pm

I did'nt have an opinion about this thread, but I ordered some pots & caps over 2 weeks ago & have'nt heard anything but an auto-acknowledgement from Yahoo.

I'm starting to form an opinion.
oldguy
Baron

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Lounge