PREDICTION: higher ga$ price$

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Re: PREDICTION: higher ga$ price$

Postby chrism on Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:02 pm

Originally posted by billy c:
Yeah, like Jimmy Carter was the "Cheap Gas President"...

It's as simple as this: Supply vs.Demand.
It is beyond supply and demand when there is a spike in price The Bloomburg Report says it is on fears of a war with Iraq. Who does the posturing for war? Right now we are paying about a 20 cent "war premium" and have been for quite a while. Combine this with the Enron price-fixing fiasco in CA, supply and demand are not at work.
On a long enough time line the survival for everyone drops to zero.
chrism
Baron

Postby drewl on Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:09 pm

How many HUGE gas guzzlin' SUV's do you see cruisin' down the highway everyday with only the driver inside?
This country wastes fuel and should pay more for it to curb the wicked ways of the consumer!
Fuel economy (average) is lower than it was in the '80's, and that's just plain disgraceful.....now I'll be back, I'm gonna take a spin in my V8 5.0liter mustang.
drewl
Prince

Postby ®ëv. ßïll¥ © on Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:51 pm

chris m: very true.

HA! 'Modern' SUV's get anywhere from 20-30MPG, where the GreenPeace idiot in the 35-yr-old VW Bus is getting somewhere close to 8-10MPG and the late 60's/70's-era pollution standards. But, it's hard for them to see that through the oily cloud at the 4-way stop... :p
ImageImageImage

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." --- Thomas Jefferson
®ëv. ßïll¥ ©
The Central Scrutinizer

Postby chrism on Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:03 pm

Where I come from, "modern" is the gits in the Excursions, Expeditions and Navigators. Those are well under 20 mpg. And we have people commuting in Ford F350 and Chevy equivalent trucks. These are not fuel efficient vehicles.

In europe about 2/3 to 3/4 the price of fuel is tax. Was in Scotland a few back, prices looked similar to here, until you realized that it was pounds per litre.
On a long enough time line the survival for everyone drops to zero.
chrism
Baron

Postby dean on Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:41 pm

Billy C is correct...supply and demand. In the '70's there were two instances when OPEC put the squeeze on the supply side of that equation. The Carter administration dealt with the second situation with less inflation than did the Ford administration did in '73-74.
There are other forces that can control supply and therefore demand. I found it odd that in the weeks before the election in 2000 that the price of gasoline jumped up sharply. After the election, the price mysteriously went back to the levels of Sept 2000. Odd? There were no international flare ups to cause inflation of the prices. There was only a fairly healthy economy that the voting public was quite peacefully happy with. After the coup,,,ugh,,,election was decided, prices were returned (by some power) to levels that the public found palatable. the public could then concentrate on turning loose of their money for the Christmas gathering of the bucks.
This may be, in Highorder's words, 'bull puckey' (interesting word), but I find it more than interesting. Hide and watch what happens next. We may be burning 'bull puckey' in order to heat our homes! I am from the part of the country that these powers that be function in, and imho they do not have my best interests in heart. When W walked into the Governor's house here, we had a surplus. We now are $5-12 billion in shortfall. In the Wall ST Journal today, there is an article reporting on a speech by an undersecretary of the Treasury. He reported that the government has commitments that put the government $20 TRILLION short. Another Republican is quoted as saying that this administration is missing two things relative to the economy...a plan and someone to explain it. That comes from a Republican and not a purveyer of 'bull puckey' on this page! W is a failed businessman who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and only his name has put him where he is. Someone else is pulling his strings. After all, who was CEO of the company that rebuilt the oil infrastructure for Iraq after Desert Storm? Hint: he is second in command now. Big oil owns the power now.
Once again....be careful what you ask for. You may get it!
dean
Baron

Postby freddi burbie on Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:02 am

I say theres plenty of fuel! all we gotta do is get up there in Alaska and drill for it.
Let the tree huggers hug thier trees, let the animal lovers love thier animals, and let us oil lovers drill till our hearts are content, cuz drag racing season will be here before you know it. And my Chevelle loves to drink the stuff!! :D
I seem to have an un-natural relationship with a piece of wood and some electical parts.
freddi burbie
Court Jester

Postby ®ëv. ßïll¥ © on Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:11 am

Hate to steer this politically, but... :(
ImageImageImage

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." --- Thomas Jefferson
®ëv. ßïll¥ ©
The Central Scrutinizer

Postby oldguy on Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:15 am

I used to go deep sea fishing a lot in the Gulf of Mexico. In 1979, in the midst of one of our "gas crises's(?)", we went out & there were ships anchored everywhere offshore. Turns out, that while people were waiting in line for gas & you had to buy on even or odd days, those ships were waiting to offload because the storage facilities were full & there was no place to unload their cargo.

Nuff said!
oldguy
Baron

Postby dnatronic on Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:20 am

"GAS" prices have definitely gone up. The Peacemaker is going to set me back $2500! :D

On this topic, have you ever thought about this:

Osama bin Laden is wealthy and funds terrorists who attack the US. He got is money from his family, the bin Laden family of Saudi Arabia. This family owns the construction company that gets all of the big Saudi government construction contracts. The Saudi government gets the money to pay the bin Ladens from the sale of oil to the US. The oil sold to the US is converted to gasoline that is consumed by Americans. Therefore, we Americans are funding the terrorists that attack us! :mad:
dnatronic
Page

Postby Highwaystar on Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:06 am

Fuel prices are high because they can! and we buy!
there was never a shortage and there won't be for a LONG time. We've just started tapping into Russia's oil.

Here in the great sunny state of tree huggers, we pay more for or SUV's and the gas that they use( by the way, a 6cyl Toyota 4runner gets just as bad fuel milage as a Chevy Suburban)thank Grey Davis.
Nate / #7
Highwaystar
King

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Lounge