fingers went numb?

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

fingers went numb?

Postby mike1 on Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:21 am

Okay, so I decide to start working out a little (haven't done much since the accident I was in back in September), I pull up some fairly light dumbells for a set of incline presses and I feel a twinge in my elbow, next thing I know my little finger and the one next to it go numb. What's this all about??? I hate getting old....
mike1
Page

Re: fingers went numb?

Postby Goku on Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:57 am

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. :(
The main nerve passes through a small tunnel of tissue in the wrist. When this becomes inflamed or swollen it pinches the nerve and you lose feeling. It should come back after time.
I had it in both hands when I used to bike alot.
The feeling came back after about 2 months.
Believe it or not this is incredibly common with pregnant women. My wife kept dropping things. Went away shortley after she gave birth though.
Goku
Page

Postby oldguy on Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:37 am

Congratulations on your pregnancy, BR! :D

Although I'm not an orthopedic surgeon, I play one in bars. Do you have a therapist? Maybe they can guide you to excercises that won't aggravate the condition. It sounds like to me you just tweaked something, instead of carpal-tunnel.

But then, what do I know?? Just try something different, because working out is the most important thing. Or you can drink a lot like I do & you don't notice silly little things like your nose bleeding or 3 week comas! :roll: Good Luck!!
oldguy
Baron

Postby Axisplayer on Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:28 pm

Oldguy, I tell you what.....if I went into a three week coma no one would notice the change in me. I never understood why anyone would choose an activity that actually could make you sweat...(OK,I DO understand one activity that makes you sweat.)

Axis (heading for a beer and a couch) ;)
Axis/Tele/Blues90/Ovation
UniValve / Vox Valvetronix / Boogie DC-3 /
Axisplayer
Page

Postby six gun south on Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:52 pm

I had some trouble for a while with my fingers going numb,turned out to be a pinched nerve in my neck.
DAVID R MATTINGLY
six gun south
Certified

Postby HighOrder on Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:26 pm

I've been lifting for about 25 years now, and still lift pretty heavy. I've never had a major injury; but, I've had injuries that have taken nearly two years to heal. My point is this:

I'm not sure what happened as a result of your accident, so there may be mitigating circumstances; but, don't stop working out because of this. Staying injury free requires that you listen to the messages that your body sends you in the form of pain, discomfort, or unusual sensation.

Particularly with incline presses and bench presses, you need to be sure to warm up well. Don't just dive into the working weight, how ever light it may seem. Loosen up your neck and shoulders well with lots of movement and some stretching, and press some weight at 30 to 50 percent of you working weight for a couple of nice slow sets. Once you're warmed up, keep the weight under positive control at all times, especially on the way down. You can do substantial rotator cuff damage by flailing or over stretching the shoulder joint with presses. I did this, and was in substantial pain for the better part of two years. The key though is that I never stopped working out. I simply listened to my body, adjusted my workouts to protect the area, and outlasted the injury.

As was mentioned, you may have a pinched nerve. Heck, it's pretty easy/common to pinch a nerve in your neck ... especially if you've been sedentary for a long time. Warming up is key to reducing the possibility of this occuring.

Anyway, I hope you get better soon. I encourage you to take the proper precautions, but don't stop working out. It's like a snowball gathering momentum. It's never too late to start, but the longer you wait, the harder it is and the slower the progress. If the circumstance of your accident render all of my babbling to crap, please accept my apologies. Be well.
ImageStrength and honor.
HighOrder
Baron

Postby OaklandDanny on Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:08 pm

BigRed...
If the numbness is isolated to the little and ring fingers, it is probably NOT carpal tunnel. In most cases any numbness/tingling associated with CTS will be in the thumb, the index and in a portion of the middle finger. I know this because Lynda has CTS and has these symptoms. I too suffer from numbness and tinglng in the little and ring fingers in both arms... usually when I'm lying still with my arms at my side, and it drives me nuts!! In my case, I have a compression fracture in the L2 vertibrae which causes some nerve pinching and sciatica. You may need a good back/neck massage or maybe some chiropractic to get yourself more aligned. The good news is you probably DON'T have carpal tunnel syndrome. See your doctor!!
"Move Over Little Dog..."
OaklandDanny
Prince

Postby ®ëv. ßïll¥ © on Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:52 pm

FWIW, when I played football in H.S., my coach was always saying that *most* injuries (he was referring to sports-related injuries) were caused by poor conditioning or a lack thereof...
ImageImageImage

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." --- Thomas Jefferson
®ëv. ßïll¥ ©
The Central Scrutinizer

Postby mike1 on Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:45 pm

Thanks for the input guys, I have been in physical therapy for the last month after the accident I was in - I talked to the therapist yesterday about what happened and they're thinking I've aggrevated the tendon which the ulner nerve runs next to - causing it to swell and pinch off the nerve. They said to keep lifting and such but make sure to ice afterwards - seems to be getting better.
mike1
Page

Postby ®ëv. ßïll¥ © on Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:16 am

Would some isometric finger/hand exercises improve the condition (before lifting &/or after)?
ImageImageImage

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." --- Thomas Jefferson
®ëv. ßïll¥ ©
The Central Scrutinizer

Postby mike1 on Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:25 am

They did give me some stretching exercises to do before I start working out, I'm pretty limber for an old fat guy but I'll do them just to make sure. Oddly enough the ice makes a huge difference - after using the ice on the elbow for about 15 minutes the feeling in my fingers gets close to normal. I'm just glad it didn't happen in my left hand (being right handed) I have a hard enough time finding the right string as it is.
mike1
Page

Postby HighOrder on Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:33 am

Originally posted by BigRed:
They did give me some stretching exercises to do before I start working out, I'm pretty limber for an old fat guy but I'll do them just to make sure. Oddly enough the ice makes a huge difference - after using the ice on the elbow for about 15 minutes the feeling in my fingers gets close to normal. I'm just glad it didn't happen in my left hand (being right handed) I have a hard enough time finding the right string as it is.
Sounds like you're on track ... that's great!!! I'm glad to hear they didn't tell you to stop lifting. You'll be better in no time!!! :D
ImageStrength and honor.
HighOrder
Baron

Postby Reggieisadork on Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:04 am

Big Red,
I was in a car accident about three years ago and broke a chunk of my Radius off as well as the last joint in my thumb. They put some pins in me and a couple of months later I got to go to the therapist. I got to play with rubber balls, dumbells, squish balls, and grip thingies, it was great. I kept getting patches of numb skin on different fingers, especially near the pin holes, but I got all my feeling back after a few months. Keep on fighting Big Red.

Speaking of numb fingers...I played a show last Saturday night in an old fruit shed and it was so cold I couldn't feel my fingers for the first twenty minutes of our set.
~Reggie
Reggieisadork
Peasant

Postby edred on Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:25 pm

Actually what you have sounds like ulnar nerve entrapement/compression, not CTS. Ulnar nerve supplies the little finget side of the hand as well as some of the thumb muscles. The Ulnar nerve transits throught the unlar notch on the back of the radiohumeral joint/olecranon fossa (back of the elbow), this was the location of the "pop" correct?
This should resolve fairly quickly. If the pain is discrete to your hand you prolly dont have a brachial plexus injury (neck injury) but as others have suggested Id say go get a qualified opinion.
What you need to do is get together with a physical therapist or weight instructor to examine the biomechanics of the way that you lift. Also if you have not worked out for a while its good to start slowly. Better to be consistant with exercise for a few months than do a lot and then quit because of injury or discomfort. Let us know how it works out ok!

Good luck
ER, (MSPT)
"Im not sure who the best guitar player in the world is, its not edred, thats for sure, Garcia agrees with me on this...;"
Jimi Hendrix
edred
Knight

Return to Off-Topic Lounge