Daisy chaining amps

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Daisy chaining amps

Postby Mayhawk on Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:11 pm

Hello, people, long time, etc....

Anyway, I have a tech question.....is it okay to daisy chain amps, really? Ie, cord into input 1 of first amp, cord out input 2 and over to input 1 of second amp. We have all I think seen pics of Hendrix daisy chaining his Marshalls. Anyway, I usually play with a pair of tweed clones, ie Victorias, and daisy chain them (they are 4 holers.) But the sound guy said this was a bad thing....mismatched loads or impedence or something to that effect. Said better to use an ABY pedal. Of course, I don't load the truck, I just drive it. Any thoughts on this?

And Merry Christmas to all! :jam:
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Re: Daisy chaining amps

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:56 pm

Mayhawk wrote:Hello, people, long time, etc....

Anyway, I have a tech question.....is it okay to daisy chain amps, really? Ie, cord into input 1 of first amp, cord out input 2 and over to input 1 of second amp. We have all I think seen pics of Hendrix daisy chaining his Marshalls. Anyway, I usually play with a pair of tweed clones, ie Victorias, and daisy chain them (they are 4 holers.) But the sound guy said this was a bad thing....mismatched loads or impedence or something to that effect. Said better to use an ABY pedal. Of course, I don't load the truck, I just drive it. Any thoughts on this?

And Merry Christmas to all! :jam:

That's just fine and does about the same thing that an ABY pedal would do. You'll probably introduce some ground loop hum, but thats not gonna hurt the amps.
Dr Tony Balls
Peasant

Postby Mr. Foxen on Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:43 pm

The impedance thing is the load on your pickups if you are going straight from guitar to amps, and an ABY will do the same thing unless its buffered. Any buffered pedal will sort the impedance issue.
New music: https://warriorpope.bandcamp.com/album/anchorite
Gear tinkering blog: http://ampstack.wordpress.com/
Made a Facebook page for my ampguts stuff. Feel free to come post amp guts and rig shots: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ampstack/351966881575839
Mr. Foxen
Squire

Postby LD50 on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:11 am

I found a huge improvement in the past couple up loading and volumes me balance when I went to a Lehle dual AB-Y with tuner. For my dual amp set up. The volume trim pots help too. The think the radial also has the same features in fact maybe a little more adjustable on the fly.
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:56 pm

LD50 wrote:I found a huge improvement in the past couple up loading and volumes me balance when I went to a Lehle dual AB-Y with tuner. For my dual amp set up. The volume trim pots help too. The think the radial also has the same features in fact maybe a little more adjustable on the fly.

:shock: $349.00? :shock:

{{{GASP}}}

https://www.amazon.com/Lehle-Dual-Amp-S ... B001KMWMHQ
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby mirrorman on Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:35 pm

I like the Radial Engineering Twin City ABY.
I use it to pair up a Marshall DSL40C and a Fender HRD.
Some good features:
Ground lift, polarity adjustment, buffered and drag control.
On the eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month, we will remember you
mirrorman
Squire

Postby LD50 on Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:00 am

Unit_1 wrote:
LD50 wrote:I found a huge improvement in the past couple up loading and volumes me balance when I went to a Lehle dual AB-Y with tuner. For my dual amp set up. The volume trim pots help too. The think the radial also has the same features in fact maybe a little more adjustable on the fly.

:shock: $349.00? :shock:
{{{GASP}}}
https://www.amazon.com/Lehle-Dual-Amp-S ... B001KMWMHQ

I tried the cheaper Startouch pedal for a while but that lacks the knobs and whistles (ground lift etc) so i went for a used old version Lehle dual that was an improvement but I like the silent tuning option so invested in the new dual which is perfect for me, being in Europe much cheaper than the Radial with the same features that, if I were in the US, I would have bought. Duty, VAT etc are a killer for US -> UK deals!
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Postby pckpat on Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:44 pm

Yes, but you Brits can make it up on the old Marshalls, Oranges, Hiwatts and Celestions. :D Radial is made in Canada, and I'm pretty sure the Americans get them cheaper than us. Of course until (if) oil rises, The Canadian peso is only worth six bits in $US. Same for the cars and trucks made in Canada by the Big Three...they sell in the US about 30% cheaper. I lucked out out and found a couple of Radial ABY's in the pawnshops-one basic, and one with the goodies. I got one by ART recently too. Not as tank-like of a build, but works ok. Those Radial pedals are like the old Russian Army Muffs- excellent improvised weapons, if the need should arise. :P
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby Papa Dog on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:40 pm

I just went and built my own A/B/C/Y (actually a dual A/B/Y cause I run three amps...a rather complex setup and a soundman's nightmare....but worth the hassle.
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--"
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:55 pm

The lunatic is on the grass
The lunatic is on the grass
Remembering games and daisy chaining Amps
Got to keep the loonies on the path

:lol: 8)
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Happy Face on Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:59 am

The topic description is no nostalgic from the sixties. As a bass player, I recall that we'd use a patch cable between dual channel amps hoping to eke out more volume. And certainly if you owned a couple of bass heads or borrowed a friend's amp for a show, we'd daisy chain them.

Kids didn't have the knowledge or give a lot of thought to the niceties, right? More volume was always the ultimate objective, until solid state amps and the SVT appeared.

Happily waxing nostalgic.
Happy Face
Page

Postby Mayhawk on Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:26 pm

Happy Face wrote:The topic description is no nostalgic from the sixties. As a bass player, I recall that we'd use a patch cable between dual channel amps hoping to eke out more volume. And certainly if you owned a couple of bass heads or borrowed a friend's amp for a show, we'd daisy chain them.

Kids didn't have the knowledge or give a lot of thought to the niceties, right? More volume was always the ultimate objective, until solid state amps and the SVT appeared.

Happily waxing nostalgic.

Yes, and quite a few things I did would make the short hairs on tech geeks stand up straight. Daisy chaining, running amps into assorted cabs with no thought w/r to ohms, mismatched cab speakers/ohms, and forget about biasing....what's that?, etc. All I can say is those old Fenders must have been pretty tough considering all the abuse I was (unknowingly) responsible for.

Having said that, I went ahead a got a Loop Master ABY box. Not fancy, functional, looks military grade. And I like being able to switch amps (or fire up both) with a single stomp or two.

Thanks for the comments and tips!
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby MajorWatt on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:31 am

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... ctads-adid^156403583515-device^c-plaid^143209123962-sku^150527000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

I use this LOVE it! You can put amps out of phase and lift the shield if they hummmm...
Check out our songs at.......
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
http://www.reverbnation.com/blacksundaydream
http://www.soundclick.com/blacksundaydream

"Except For Ending Slavery, Fascism, Nazism and Communism, WAR has Never Solved Anything."
MajorWatt
Airport Gropee

Location: S.F. Bay Area. Where the sun always shines! Except on cloudy or rainy days...

Postby jaywalker on Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:13 pm

Another thumbs up for the Radial Twin City aby. No division of signal strength because it utilizes a transformer. A big plus is that it can switch a Fender amp with "Normal" and "Reverb" channels or use BOTH channels simultaneously by using the 180 degree phase switch on the normal channel. I tweedyfied the normal channel on my super reverb so this give me more options :excited:
jaywalker
Baron

Return to Off-Topic Lounge