Musician's Friend?

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Musician's Friend?

Postby Rockin' Stevie on Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:59 pm

I know I said I was going to sit back and listen for a while, but something just happened to me, and I wondered if it had happened with any of you folks. I never cared for Musician's Friend, much, and tried to stay away from them as much as possible. But a few months ago, I got a message from a management-type guy there--and he gave some great deals. But he was promoted (he deserved it, too) and I got a new guy that I could not get along with. I tried--but it didn't work. The "to-the-bone" price cuts existed no more. M.F. then assigned someone else to me--with the same attitude. In short, I'm done with Musician's Friend.

Has anything like this ever happened to the rest of you?
Rockin' Stevie
Peasant

Re: Musician's Friend?

Postby Seby on Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:09 pm

Heh, I've never brought enough gear from anywhere to get a regular discount. Have mercy on the new cats though, they might be new to the position level, and not confident enough to make such calls. Sounds like your old guy was up there in the pecking order. I get discounts at my local cafe and corner grocery store though, which is awesome!
Seby
Certified

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:42 am

I've bought some used gear from them, never anything new.

I used to refer to them as Musicians Fiends. :twisted:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby Michael Patrick on Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:31 pm

If you like the personal touch, go with Sweetwater. They will definitely want to be your new bestest friend ever.

I'm not a fan of their approach, the many cold calls after I bought a single $60 gizmo felt more like stalking. But there are other guys who seem to like it and tell of getting great deals from their assigned salesperson. To each their own...
The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down
Michael Patrick
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:37 pm

(Sweetwater calling MP)....

Hi..., Mike, this is David from Sweetwater calling... :shock:

"This is who from where? Do you know what f'ing time it is?" :POd:

"So sorry Mike, just wanted to find out how those lacy er lace sensor pickups were working for you in that strat..." :ick: :nutjob: :dumass: :twisted: :P :laff:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby Rockin' Stevie on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:20 am

I've had the same guy at Sweetwater for several years. I must be lucky--I talked to him about a guitar that wasn't in stock (Epiphone J-200CE), but was expected--"SOMETIME SOON." My guy called me this morning, and left a message on my voicemail, that they were in, but only because I told him to let me know. That may be the second cold call I've gotten from him--I asked him not to, so he doesn't. But I asked about this cheapster (400.00+case) and he called--And gave me a nice discount, as well. I like Sweetwater better--They might not go as low as the others, but I have yet to get a bad set-up, or damaged gear. That 88-point inspection may or may not help--But it's there. And they stand behind their stuff--Our "Friends" have a way of slipping complaints to one side.

Sweetwater, is like a nice store.

Musician's Friend, is like a car wash.
Rockin' Stevie
Peasant

Postby PeterS on Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:39 am

Musician's False Friend.

I bought something from Sweetwater, no phone calls but I got a lot of emails. I'd use them again.

A couple of months ago I needed a telecaster bridge, and I thought I'd support my local store rather than buying by internet. OK, they ordered in what I needed, and I went and picked it up (a week later). After I got it home I realized it was left handed. Emailed them and was told that's not possible, bring it in so we can see it. Emailed them a photo instead, yep, that's left-handed alright, we'll order the right one for you. When I went to pick up the new one (a week later) there was a different guy behind the counter so I had to go through the whole rigmarole again of explaining how telecaster bridges come in left and right etc etc. Next time I'll buy by mail and have the thing in hand in a day or two.
PeterS
King

Postby Rockin' Stevie on Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:56 am

PeterS wrote:Musician's False Friend.

I bought something from Sweetwater, no phone calls but I got a lot of emails. I'd use them again.

A couple of months ago I needed a telecaster bridge, and I thought I'd support my local store rather than buying by internet. OK, they ordered in what I needed, and I went and picked it up (a week later). After I got it home I realized it was left handed. Emailed them and was told that's not possible, bring it in so we can see it. Emailed them a photo instead, yep, that's left-handed alright, we'll order the right one for you. When I went to pick up the new one (a week later) there was a different guy behind the counter so I had to go through the whole rigmarole again of explaining how telecaster bridges come in left and right etc etc. Next time I'll buy by mail and have the thing in hand in a day or two.

I try to do the same thing. I've noticed the local stores are carrying a lot of import stuff--In the 500 to 1000 dollar range. I still buy all I can locally, but when ebay, or Reverb, or even GBase has the same item, for hundreds less---I really hate to do it, but my budget just won't let me walk away. I gotta save a few dollars for groceries and gas.

But I'm going to make room for this one..Check it out.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EJ200CE

Huh? HUH?
Rockin' Stevie
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:20 pm

Sweetwater!

a) free candy with every order

b) good prices

c) they carry the real pro stuff like $25,000 JBL sound reinforcement arrays, and whereas I have absolutely no need for anything like that I like to see it!

d) phone call is a nice touch, not that I ever answer, but shows they care about the customer experience.

e) on site training facility for studio software training. WISH I had the bucks and youth to use this, alas, I'm past that now.
Last edited by Unit_1 on Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Rockin' Stevie on Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:29 pm

If you want a rush, go to Sweetwater's home page, and check out the virtual tour of the place. A big CD/DVD library, free--A spa, free--nice cafeteria. They've got a 150--200 seat auditorium, for endorsee concerts and workshops--You can get your hair cut! Who could work under THOSE conditions???
Rockin' Stevie
Peasant

Postby mirrorman on Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:00 am

Baron Von Machinenmann wrote:I've bought some used gear from them, never anything new.

I used to refer to them as Musicians Fiends. :twisted:

I have bought a couple of "used" guitars from them, an LP Junior Special and Martin Custom D.
That was about 4 years ago.
These things were pristine, still had the plastic on the pickguard, and set up as well as could be expected with shipping.
And they were DEEPLY discounted as used (mint).
The only time I've dealt with Sweetwater, they couldn't ship the item to Canada.
Not saying SW customer service isn't great in the US, just that they couldn't help me in the Great White North. :say_what:
On the eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month, we will remember you
mirrorman
Squire

Postby PeterS on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:54 pm

they couldn't help me in the Great White North.

I bought a sequencer form them and I'm in the GWN. Might be like Musician's Fair Weather Friend, some brands they can ship to Canada and some they can't. Probably depends on what kind of contract the manufacturer has with their Canadian distributors (?).
PeterS
King

Postby mirrorman on Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:12 am

That may be why they couldn't ship what I was looking for to Canada.
I've been shopping at Long and McQuade since our CAD has been taking a sh!t kicking to the greenback.
Cheaper to shop local (at least for what I've been looking for), compared to MF, GC or SW with a with a 25% or more exchange rate lately.
And they just opened a store in Sudbury, so now I'm only a four hour drive away from the nearest L&M!
On the eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month, we will remember you
mirrorman
Squire

Postby PeterS on Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:16 pm

>>they just opened a store in Sudbury, so now I'm only a four hour drive away from the nearest L&M!

Where do you live, Moosonee? :D

I'm in London (Ontario, I heard there's another one in Europe somewhere but this isn't it) and there's 2 of them, and the town isn't all that big. It's like an electric guitar has become something every child must have. On one hand L&M is killing off the independents, just like Amazon (etc) killing bookstores. On the other hand they've got price, selection, and service.

An old friend of mine had a music store in a small town, and got bought out by L&M. He said it was great for them, they went from being able to stock a few guitars and have them sit there until they were sold, to being able to have a much larger stock and rotate it with stuff from a bigger store in another town to keep things fresh.

I remember asking this guy how he could stand all the noisy teenagers coming in and playing all the guitars and never buying anything. He said those same kids come in with their mom in December and point at what they want and walk out with $3000 of stuff. He was probably silently thinking the real PITA is old geezers like me that only come in to buy a new pick, and won't look at any gear made in the last 25 years! :old:
PeterS
King

Postby mirrorman on Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:05 pm

Where do you live, Moosonee?
:lol: No, I'm in Sault Ste. Marie. Actually, the closest "big box" music store to me was in Saginaw, MI before L&M opened up in Sudbury.

On the other hand they've got price, selection, and service
I can't say what the service was like before the change over as I had never visited the store when it was an independent, but now the service is second to none. I was looking to buy an item they didn't have in stock. They found it at another store in the GTA, had it shipped up overnight and was there for me to pick up the next day.

An old friend of mine had a music store in a small town, and got bought out by L&M.
:o Sounds similar to what may have happened in Sudbury. They are located in a building that was owned by a local independent.

He was probably silently thinking the real PITA is old geezers like me that only come in to buy a new pick, and won't look at any gear made in the last 25 years!
:ROFLMAO: :cheers:
mirrorman
Squire

Next

Return to Off-Topic Lounge