Step down transformer advice?

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Step down transformer advice?

Postby Seby on Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:13 am

Hi All,

I am in Sydney Australia, and am about to be the proud owner of a Vintage 47 Ric amp. (Woo! Full review and YT upload soon.)

To run this little guy here, I need to get a step down tranny. I know the power rating that I need (500w), but I have no experience with SDTs at all. So, I was hoping that some of you might have some advice insofar as the reliability of different brands/makes is concerned. There are a lot of options out there on the web, and I've no idea of the actual quality difference, if any, between them.

Greatly indebted! :not_worthy:

S.

p.s. This looks good, no? http://www.tortech.com.au/step-down-tra ... ransformer
Seby
Certified

Re: Step down transformer advice?

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:22 pm

Do you have a link to a schematic of your amp? 500 watts is a lot of overkill if the tube compliment is what I think it might be... :wink:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby Seby on Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:39 pm

Thanks Mr B!

No I don't, but here's an email I got from David at V47 (who is, for the record, a super guy):

"These small wattage amps can get by on a 300 watt converter but with very little cushion to allow for large spikes on the initial start up surge. I suggest the 500 watt units for trouble free and long life. Better safe than sorry as they say!"

Straight from the horse's mouth as they say.
Seby
Certified

Postby Strat59 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:57 pm

That's the exact one I've had for 15yrs and still going 100%. I use it with all my '50s Tweeds (Tremolux, Vibrolux, Super, Princeton) and my mid '60s
BFDR, BFSR and BFPR.

Mine has an output of 115v so I run it through an Amp Preserver which allows you to switch to 110v output for the tweeds or 115v for the BF amps.

110v will be spot on for your use. Double check the output with a multi meter probes if need be, but these old amps , particularly Leo's were overbuilt to take variances in wall voltages.

That one in the link will do the job pefectly for a long long time for you.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby Seby on Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:25 am

Strat59, thank you so much!

I spoke to the peeps at Tortech and they were very helpful (even putting me through to their "guitar amp guy" who explained isolation transformers and audio interference to me).

Fifteen years is a good innings! The 7kg monster is now on its way. =)

Oh, and needless to say, that's one heck of an amp collection that you have going on there. :shock:
Seby
Certified

Postby Strat59 on Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:26 pm

:thumbsup: They're a very good company and the transformers are bullet proof.

Years gone by they used to mount ugly looking step downs in the cabs of vintage amps.... very ugly or WORSE still replace the Classic trannies with local made 240v ones :( ripping the tonal heart out of those great old amps & collector value.

These today look good, perform perfectly, keep your amp in tact and you can take it anywhere to play your amp.

Plus I can definitely hear a difference running those old amps at correct voltage......sound more relaxed and toneful.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby Seby on Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:35 am

Transformer has arrived, and the ric's tone is so smokin' that I've named him Smokey. =)

Toneclips asap!
Seby
Certified

Return to Off-Topic Lounge