Warm dry climate areas.

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Warm dry climate areas.

Postby Painterman on Thu May 07, 2015 6:17 am

I may have to move to a place with a steady warm/dry climate for health reasons.

So - can anyone recommend a warm dry climate area where:

1) - it is safe - little to no crime.
2) - low cost of living.
3) - a house with some land.
4) - in a beautiful area.
5) - preferrably not in a city.

I'm getting my ass kicked by Lyme disease. :(

-Bobby
Sir Bobby Painterman - Knight of the Plexi Palace. (It only took me 8.5 years...)
Painterman
Knight

Re: Warm dry climate areas.

Postby Unit_1 on Thu May 07, 2015 2:14 pm

Boy, that's a tough list....

The northern deserts of southern california are a pretty good match, depending on what you call beautiful. Cactus and desert lands have a different beauty than pine trees, although if you just go up a few notches in elevation then you get pine trees and such.

Remote areas offer lower cost and crime, but also very long transit times to medical facilities. My friend died of a not that serious heart attack as it took 1.5 hours for the paramedics to arrive and he died before they got him to the hospital.

Had he been here in the san fernando valley he would more than likely have survived. We have higher crime here, although in the city of san fernando we've had one murder in the past 10 years and I leave stuff out in the front yard all the time and it never disappears.

We're an independent city, and so have our own police dept. instead of using LAPD. Our police response is measured in seconds, while LAPD is measured in hours, if they bother to show up at all (no injury? You're on your own - seriously - you wanna file a police report, YOU take the pics and you go to them)

We have very high property value here, and while it is dry a lot of the time, we also get the sea breeze from time to time and the humidity goes way up then.

I hear colorado is nice, and dry, but have no idea about other factors there...
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Painterman on Thu May 07, 2015 6:01 pm

I was looking at Tehachapi - near Bear Mountain/Tehachapi mountains - but I'm not too fond of wild fires or earth quakes. I'll be living alone - so I only really need a small home. My budget is under $200k

I'm not looking for a town with NO crime - but I don't want to move to areas where there is gang/drug activity - or to a place where I'd have to worry about someone breaking in or assaulting me.

Essentially - I'm looking for a warm/dry climate that is safe.

That's the 2nd person that mentioned Colorado to me. What part of Colorado is warm/dry? I thought they had mountains and cold winters. (What do I know - I'm from New Jersey!)
Sir Bobby Painterman - Knight of the Plexi Palace. (It only took me 8.5 years...)
Painterman
Knight

Postby pckpat on Thu May 07, 2015 8:07 pm

"From Tuscon to Tucumcari...Tehachapi to Tonopah". :D Good luck Painterman, it does sound like the SW might be the best bet. I sure hope you find a spot that will enable you to kick back at that painful and tiring health issue.
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby Painterman on Thu May 07, 2015 10:10 pm

Thanks.

Does anyone know anything about Barstow, Ca?
Painterman
Knight

Postby Unit_1 on Thu May 07, 2015 10:15 pm

When I was in Tehachapi for a 'management retreat' it was quite humid, but maybe it was an oddball time.

Cañon in Colorado is supposed to be the warmest place where it doesn't snow (very often), but if it does it melts quickly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ca%C3%B1on_City,_Colorado

The guy I knew that died was from there and he said it was pretty warm 'for Colorado' - after reading the wiki I don't think you wanna go there....

You should look up Tehachapi as well as a few other places like Apple valley, (Mojave amp works is there) on Real Estate sites to see what the houses are going for!

Then you can wiki those citys and see all the pertinent data in regards to crime and average temps and humidity.

Prices in Arizona are really low, but it gets to 125 in the summer and stays that way till fall. *insanely hot*

I've heard that diet plays a large part in recovering from Lyme disease. Hope you feel better soon! I'm feeling pretty crappy this week. It was 100 last couple of weeks and now it's 60 and fixin to rain. I hate it when the weather changes so drastically!!!! Bad for my allergies....

http://restormedicine.com/diets-for-lyme-disease/
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Unit_1 on Fri May 08, 2015 1:45 am

Ok, this is rather timely....

an article in the news about why people get chronically sick from Lyme disease, and what to do about it. You may have also been infected with a malaria type of disease known as babesia

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/05/06/lyme-disease-debate-can-condition-be-chronic/?intcmp=obmod_ffo&intcmp=obnetwork

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Painterman on Sat May 09, 2015 2:21 am

Unit_1 wrote:Ok, this is rather timely....

an article in the news about why people get chronically sick from Lyme disease, and what to do about it. You may have also been infected with a malaria type of disease known as babesia

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/05/06/lyme-disease-debate-can-condition-be-chronic/?intcmp=obmod_ffo&intcmp=obnetwork

I am also fighting 2 co-infections - babesia and bartonella. I am eating a low carb/no sugar diet. No gluten, alcohol, caffeine, dairy, starches, and no sugar at all.
Most people have no idea about Lyme and co-infections - so it's easier to just say Lyme. I got tired of me being the broken record explaining all this stuff.
I visited Mojave Ampworks in 2001 when The Anderson Council was out on the west coast for some LA shows.

I'm doing my homework online - looking at counties and towns and all that. I'm hoping to go out to visit this summer or fall to visit a few places.
I've been to Tehachapi and really liked the town.

Barstow is more in the desert - and homes are less expensive - and doesn't seem like a bad place. They have an amtrak station - so I can get to LA or where ever I need to go by train if I can't drive.

8)
Painterman
Knight

Postby jaywalker on Sun May 10, 2015 1:23 am

What we call the High Desert; Morongo Valley, Yucca Valley, Joshua Tree, Landers, 29 Palms and Pioneer Town is cooler in the summer than the Coachella Valley where I live (Palm Springs to Indio and beyond), is only 20-40 miles away and has a very active music and artsy-fartsy community (and a few crack-heads here and there. seems like they are everywhere). Drive south-west on Hwy 62, turn left at I-10 for Florida, right to L.A. or catch Amtrak near Palm Springs. It's small town attitude but not too far from big city delights. OTOH, if you like the Colorado River area there are certain advantages to locating on the Nevada or Arizona side...let's just say that they seem to be less restrictive when it comes to taxation and rights than California.
jaywalker
Baron

Postby Painterman on Sun May 10, 2015 2:10 am

jaywalker wrote:What we call the High Desert; Morongo Valley, Yucca Valley, Joshua Tree, Landers, 29 Palms and Pioneer Town is cooler in the summer than the Coachella Valley where I live (Palm Springs to Indio and beyond), is only 20-40 miles away and has a very active music and artsy-fartsy community (and a few crack-heads here and there. seems like they are everywhere). Drive south-west on Hwy 62, turn left at I-10 for Florida, right to L.A. or catch Amtrak near Palm Springs. It's small town attitude but not too far from big city delights. OTOH, if you like the Colorado River area there are certain advantages to locating on the Nevada or Arizona side...let's just say that they seem to be less restrictive when it comes to taxation and rights than California.

I was looking at Yucca Valley the other day. I'd like to spend no more than $200k on a place with low taxes and a low cost of living.

I don't know where in Nevada or Arizona to go. I'm not interested in being near a big city, but I'd like to be in a town that has rail service so I can travel, as I'm not fond of flying.
Just really looking for a warm/dry steady climate in a safe part of a town served by rail transit.

The climate, my safety and my budget are the top 3 things I'm looking for. I have a lot of muscle and joint pain - and a warm/dry client will help me feel better.
For obvious reasons, I also don't want to be in an area that is infested with ticks.

Where in Nevada or Arizona? I guess I'll pull up Google earth and look for towns along the river.

I'm not really looking forward to moving all the way across the country, but I have to do this for my health.
To be honesI don't know how much music I'll be playing, if at all.

I left The Anderson Council a year ago (yesterday) because I was unable to learn new songs, and I would struggle to recall the back catalog. I was also having (and still having) pain in my joints and my hands go numb and tingly, especially when playing instruments, working with tools, gardening, - anything with my hands. Kinda sucks. I was holding them back. I took some time to think about it, and I realized that I couldn't do the job anymore, so I left. I still love the band and the music. I'm just a spectator now. They're recording a new EP and LP and there's some INCREDIBLE songs in the hopper. Everyone in the band is a songwriter and they're by far the most professional and amazing musicians I've ever worked with, and I'm proud that I was a part of it for the past 14 years.
Painterman
Knight

Postby Painterman on Tue May 12, 2015 6:04 pm

Looking more into the high desert now. Thanks Jaywalker. I'm hoping to fly or take a train out before the end of the year to look at houses and towns for a week or so.
Painterman
Knight

Return to Off-Topic Lounge