NAEBGD!

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

NAEBGD!

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:55 am

New acoustic/electric bass guitar day!

Mainly play guitar, but I dabble in keyboards, bass, harp

Saw this pretty Takamine and just HAD to have it - won it tonight for $405 case included, free shipping

:jam: :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

I bought a set of martin phosphor bronze but being new to the acoustic bass I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Re: NAEBGD!

Postby Stinkfoot on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:45 am

Having been something of a collector of vintage guitars for the last 25 years I am now finding that the quality and, ow you say "bang for buck" of Chinese and Korean guitars is overwhelming.
I recently bought three Peerless guitars, all Korean made and they amazing in all aspects, build quality, materials and playability.

Collection of vintage American guitars for sale.......except the fiesta red strat.
Stinkfoot
Squire

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:45 pm

I hear ya there stinkfoot - I bought a 12 string takamine new for about $750 back in 2008 - flame maple with sitka spruce and was literally stunned by the quality. Plays better than some 6 stings I've owned - no problem using .010's

LOUD and beautiful tones. I'm sure it would have cost $4800 if the name gibson was on it.

I have a friend that comes over and we jam, switching between lead and bass, and sometimes he comes over it's too late to pull out the amps, or maybe we're both too tired

so this will be nice to be able to have an unplugged jam :jam: :jam:

The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:44 am

Like I said, Takamine 12 strings rock, as this pink floyd video so eloquently demonstrates

Unit_1
Prince

Postby pckpat on Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:50 pm

Taks are excellent, at least the ones above the real entry-level models are. Much more than adequate for live shows. I have been into the Japanese Les Pauls for a number of years- have an old '84 Tokai Custom, an Orville Custom from the nineties and an early '00s Epi Elitist Standard with some lovely flame. Last year I got an Epi Elite (a little earlier version) SG Standard, that kills. (It's much nicer than my '80-something Gibson SG Spec., I have to admit). The Elite SG cost me $550 in mint shape. They all have the long neck tenon, which Gibson doesn't provide until you pay Custom Shop money. The only cost-cutting feature I can see, is the poly finish-which is fairly thin, and extremely well-executed. Someday in the next year probably, I will spend the large $$'s and get a CS Gibson, but it won't go to jams or bar gigs that's for sure. These Japanese axes cut the mustard for that. And like Stinkfoot says, the Koreans and Chinese are making big strides with quality lately. I have an Epi Firebird and a Thunderbird. Although the Firebird isn't nearly as pretty as my Gibson model, it is a very good player-sounds fine too. Same with the T-Bird. I also have an old Tokai Precision that I'd put up against any 70's Fender version.
Kids nowadays have so many options we didn't have, when it comes to raesonably-priced "student" gear. What they don't have is an opportunity to score old pre-CBS Fenders and sixties Gibsons for a few hundred. like we did :lol:
I used to jam down the neighbourhood corner pub with a well-known veteran of the bluegrass wars. He had a nice old Martin at home-but he brought this Eighties or Nineties Takimine knock-off of a D-28 to the bar. That thing would honk just the real deal-(and I have owned a vintage D-28). Kept up easily volume-wise with my expensive custom hand-built dreadnought.
Nice score, Unit, that is a lovely bass. Wish I could find a deal like that up here. :thumbsup:
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:09 pm

Hey Pcpat!

I got it on Monday of last week but was still really sick with this damn rhinovirus

huh, just looked them up. Seems you won't get as bad an infection if you REALLY turn on the hot air. Funny, with all my hot air you'd think it wouldn't touch me! :mrgreen: I'm over the cold, but my lungs are damaged. Slowly getting better...
Human rhinoviruses preferentially grow at 32°C (89°F) as opposed to 37°C (98°F), hence infect the upper respiratory tract where respiratory airflow is in continual contact to the (colder) extrasomatic environment.

Anywho, got the martin phosphor strings mounted last friday, pre-stressed the hell out of them, tuned it up and BOY what a beauty!

BIG guitar. I must admit, it's a tad too large for me tho I'm adapting. I look like a flea holding an elephant!

It has great action, I can bend and tremolo the strings and it performs nicely. The martin strings sound great. My fingers, however, are not used to such large diameter strings with such thick windings and I got newbie finger syndrome the first few plays. {{{ouch}}}

It's even more beautiful than the pictures. I'll have to take some new ones with my DSLR to really capture the details, then I'll replace the ones at the top which are from eBay and will eventually vanish... never to be viewed again, lol....

Unit_1
Prince

Postby vez on Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:34 pm

It's a beaut Unit. I love flame maple. But, I only have one guitar with premium maple. It a curly maple topped Taylor T5.
vez
Squire

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:08 am

vez wrote:It's a beaut Unit. I love flame maple. But, I only have one guitar with premium maple. It a curly maple topped Taylor T5.

She is indeed vez

I've been pretty lucky and now have three guitars with extra special wood :-)

hey, you're not gonna believe this,,,,, I'm actually NOT SICK tonight! I swear between the flubola, fluzilla and the rhinovirus from hell I've actually been sick the WHOLE DAMN SEASON with like 10 days of ok-ness around the end of DEC

Tomorrow is my 59th birthday! The beginning of the last year of my 50's, the first day of spring.

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Grog on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:03 am

Sweet score, I've been looking at acoustice electric basses as an option for a while but haven't found one to pull the trigger on yet. Nice flame maple as has been said already. How's she play?
AC30 Super Twin(1963) S/N 9952N Rear Panel TB Head, Dynamic Bass (1968) #1153, AC30CCH, V212BN 1 x Alnico Blue 1 x Wharfdale, VBM1, AC4TV, Marshall JTM312, Gibson 347(1987), Les Paul Custom, US Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster, CIJ Jaguar HH.

http://www.myspace.com/fishheads2

The Colin Staples Blues Jam, Every Wednesday at The Navigation, Wilford St, Nottingham.
Grog
Baron

Return to Off-Topic Lounge