Joe Walsh early pix '66

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Re: Joe Walsh early pix '66

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:57 pm

Baron Von Machinenmann wrote:Off topic but what assassin? Kent state was the site of the national guard massacre....... :POd:

Yeah, where IS that totally faded and and I WAS wrong icon? Oh, there it is Image

confused it with the college shooting where some nut started shooting kids from the tower

so, YEAH, why is there a red arrow???? Perhaps they had an extra arrow laying around and that's where they decided to put it... :lol:

I was 10 at the time, 48 years ago. {[{[{ouch}]}]} :old:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman
Charles Joseph Whitman (June 24, 1941 – August 1, 1966) was an American engineering student and former U.S. Marine who killed 16 people and wounded 32 others in a spree shooting in Austin, Texas on the University of Texas at Austin campus, in and around the Tower on the afternoon of August 1, 1966.
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby jaywalker on Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:29 pm

The first picture shown above is dated Oct. '66, four years before the Kent State massacre of 1970. I was attending Cal Poly, SLO at the time of the shootings. The atmosphere was much the same as described in the article regarding the hostilities between student groups. We had aggies (agricultural, i.e. "cowboys") and archies (architecural majors) and a handful of other techie majors like chemistry (mine). Uptight times across the country to be sure, but the music was happenin'. I had a used jazzmaster, a tweed champ and was in a soul band. We did a gig at Morrow Bay H.S. for the first Black History Month. I have zero picture from that "hazy" part of my life.

The last picture is two photo's side by side. The arrows are indicating the position of the band photo on the commons.
(or it could be the Texas Book Store Suppository?)
jaywalker
Baron

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:44 pm

Thanks for sharing. One of the few guys that can put a smile on my face with two notes.
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby vez on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:14 pm

jaywalker wrote:The first picture shown above is dated Oct. '66, four years before the Kent State massacre of 1970. I was attending Cal Poly, SLO at the time of the shootings. The atmosphere was much the same as described in the article regarding the hostilities between student groups. We had aggies (agricultural, i.e. "cowboys") and archies (architecural majors) and a handful of other techie majors like chemistry (mine). Uptight times across the country to be sure, but the music was happenin'. I had a used jazzmaster, a tweed champ and was in a soul band. We did a gig at Morrow Bay H.S. for the first Black History Month. I have zero picture from that "hazy" part of my life.

The last picture is two photo's side by side. The arrows are indicating the position of the band photo on the commons.
(or it could be the Texas Book Store Suppository?)

God I remember that. It was a BIG deal! "Kent State" became a war cry for all future protests. Kind of like, "Remember the Alamo".
Jay, so you were chem major at Cal Poly?. Great school and great little town. Do you ever get up that way anymore? I'm flying out there next week to care for my Mom for about a month (actually flying into Santa Maria). She's having surgery.
Did you ever get over to Jalama beach? Excellent surf spot!
vez
Squire

Postby jaywalker on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:35 pm

Hey Vez. I hope it all goes well for your mom. It's great that you can help. I always wanted to live in that area again but it's never happened...yet. It's the most awesome part of the state; just far enough away from LA and SF. I still have a sister that lives near Santa Maria and a nephew and two nieces scattered somewhere about but It's been a long time since I've been there. The sister's ex was a missile programmer at Vandenberg AFB from the 60's onward. They hosted the very trippy light shows in the evening sky with their test firing for all to see. I've actually seen them from the Coachella valley.
Again, all the best for you and your mom.
jaywalker
Baron

Postby vez on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:04 am

jaywalker wrote:Hey Vez. I hope it all goes well for your mom. It's great that you can help.

Thanks! I'm lucky to still have her around.
vez
Squire

Postby Easto on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:46 pm

I met Joe Walsh back in the Barnstorm days. He was playing at the Whisky here in Los Angeles. During their break my buddy and I walked back to the dressing rooms (upstairs) and to our amazement there was nobody trying to stop us. We came up to a door where one of the crew was standing and he asked us what we were doing there. We said "We're here to see Joe". He opened the door and shouted "Joe, there's someone here to see you". Next thing I know we're standing in the hallway talking to him for about 5 minutes. He then gracefully announced that he does have to get ready for the 2nd set, we all shook hands and my buddy and I went downstairs for the 2nd half of the show.
Easto
Certified

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Lounge