Joe Walsh early pix '66

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Joe Walsh early pix '66

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:22 pm

ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Re: Joe Walsh early pix '66

Postby Dai on Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:28 pm

thanks Baron. FWIW I remember reading an old Japanese guitar mag article where he spoke about working on his own amps changing bright caps and such (though I have no idea if he still does now).
Dai
Baron

Postby jaywalker on Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:22 pm

Very cool. Thanks for posting.

...and happy new year Baron
jaywalker
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:32 pm

funny to see Joe so young and behind the keyboard!

(I figured out a way to get direct flickr links using mozilla's view page info :mrgreen: )

The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Stinkfoot on Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:32 pm

A top turn is Joe Walsh.
I was on the front row of the Blackpool opera house in 1970 when the James gang supported the Who on their British tour. Although my pals and I were stoked to see the Who, the James gang impressed all there and Joe was really funny chatting to us between numbers.

He still plays great, has a great sense of humor and is off the pi$$ these days. :jam:
Stinkfoot
Squire

Postby vez on Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:41 pm

A friend of mine Steve Clark owner and operator of SLIGO Amps built a 5E3 clone for Joe Walsh.
Here's me giving a gratuitous shout out for my friend Steve. He builds some of best clones currently on the market using Jupiter caps and Mercury transformers.
vez
Squire

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:54 pm

vez wrote:A friend of mine Steve Clark owner and operator of SLIGO Amps built a 5E3 clone for Joe Walsh.
Here's me giving a gratuitous shout out for my friend Steve. He builds some of best clones currently on the market using Jupiter caps and Mercury transformers.

Can't go wrong with that combo, the jupiter's came out closest to yellow astrons in my cap tests!!!

PIO Astron still the quietest tho :mrgreen:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:46 pm

Joe was (is?) a ham radio guy, built his own gear, built/modded his own amps and guitars, still does AFAIK. 8)

I can't make out the make of the 335 looking guitar he has in the photos, anyone know what it is?
ImageImageImage

Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby housekustoms on Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:17 am

Guild Starfire V
I'm a little bit :old: now, but I still like to :jam:

housekustoms
Page

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:28 am

Sweet! 8) :cheers:
ImageImageImage

Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby housekustoms on Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:48 am

It is the guitar we all wanted when I was in junior high in the 60's, in red no less. Loved (and still do) that Bigsby it sported too.

:jam:

housekustoms
Page

Postby DanTheBluesMan on Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:43 am

what are those two red arrows pointing to in that last picture?

Joe has long been one of my guitar 'heros'. He got me into Les Pauls, it's all his fault. The very first issue of Guitar Player I bought featured him on the cover. With a Les Paul.
DanTheBluesMan
Knight

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:09 am

DanTheBluesMan wrote:what are those two red arrows pointing to in that last picture?

Joe has long been one of my guitar 'heros'. He got me into Les Pauls, it's all his fault. The very first issue of Guitar Player I bought featured him on the cover. With a Les Paul.

this was taken at kent state and that is, i believe, the tower the assassin staged his attack from

huh..... y is there no "i'm totally faded so I might be wrong smiley face ?" :dunno:

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:45 pm

Off topic but what assassin? Kent state was the site of the national guard massacre....... :POd:
ImageImageImage

Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby housekustoms on Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:09 pm

Baron Von Machinenmann wrote:Off topic but what assassin? Kent state was the site of the national guard massacre....... :POd:

I was a junior in High School when this happened...May 4th, 1970 so the Joe Walsh (The Measles) pictures preceded the KSU shooting by 4 roughly years. Here's the opening few paragraphs from Wikipedia:

Kent State shootings

"The Kent State shootings (also known as the May 4 massacre or the Kent State massacre) occurred at Kent State University in the US city of Kent, Ohio, and involved the shooting of unarmed college students by the Ohio National Guard on Monday, May 4, 1970. The guardsmen fired 67 rounds over a period of 13 seconds, killing four students and wounding nine others, one of whom suffered permanent paralysis.

Some of the students who were shot had been protesting the Cambodian Campaign, which President Richard Nixon announced during a television address on April 30. Other students who were shot had been walking nearby or observing the protest from a distance.

There was a significant national response to the shootings: hundreds of universities, colleges, and high schools closed throughout the United States due to a student strike of four million students, and the event further affected public opinion—at an already socially contentious time—over the role of the United States in the Vietnam War."

Image Click for full size image

The article is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings

:POd: :Zap: :POd:
Last edited by housekustoms on Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

housekustoms
Page

Next

Return to Off-Topic Lounge