Comet Lovejoy visible to Naked Eye...LOL

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Comet Lovejoy visible to Naked Eye...LOL

Postby housekustoms on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:24 pm

COMET LOVEJOY BRIGHTENS: It's official. Comet Lovejoy (C/2014 Q2) is now a naked-eye object. Science journalist and longtime comet watcher Mariano Ribas of the Planetario de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires, Argentina, reports that "Comet Lovejoy has reached magnitude 5.0, just above the threshold for human visibility from dark-sky sites. Even in the light polluted sky of Buenos Aires, the comet is a very easy object in 10x50 binoculars."

Last night, Italian astrophotographer Rolando Ligustri used a remotely-controlled telescope in Australia to capture this image of the comet passing by star cluster M79:

Alan Dyer, author of the e-book How to Shoot Nightscapes and Time Lapses, confirms the comet's growing brightness: "From my dark observing site near Silver City, New Mexico, the comet was visible to the naked eye on Dec. 27-28, though only if you knew just where to look."

Roughly speaking, the comet is passing south of the constellation Orion. Finder charts from Sky & Telescope will help you find it in the midnight sky. For accurate pointing of telescopes, an ephemeris from the Minor Planet Center is available.

For astrophotographers interested in "beauty shots," Comet Lovejoy has a marvelous palette. The sinuous blue ion tail both contrasts and compliments the comet's puffy green atmosphere. These colors come from ionized carbon monoxide (CO+) and diatomic carbon (C2), which glow blue and green, respectively, in the near-vacuum of interplanetary space.

"Looking the behavior of this comet over the past month, I think that it will brighten to magnitude 4.5 or even 4.0 in the first week of 2015," predicts Ribas. If so, the show has just begun. Stay tuned for updates.
I'm a little bit :old: now, but I still like to :jam:

housekustoms
Page

Re: Comet Lovejoy visible to Naked Eye...LOL

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:37 pm

Excellent. 8) :cheers:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Re: Comet Lovejoy visible to Naked Eye...LOL

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:17 am

pretty

mongo likes pretty

:mrgreen:

seriously tho - hopes this is the comet of the century. Wouldn't it be grand to see it blazing away at noon???

my dad got to see Haley's comet in the beginning of the 20th century when everyone thought the earth was gonna be history.... he was unimpressed. that was Dad....
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Return to Off-Topic Lounge