Joe Cocker RIP

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Joe Cocker RIP

Postby Stinkfoot on Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:12 pm

Looks like Joe has joined the choir infinitesimal.

Blues and rock legend Joe Cocker, best known for his gritty voice and great vocals, has died at age 70.

The English-born singer song-writer had lung cancer.

His death was confirmed by agent Barrie Marshall, who called Cocker "without doubt the greatest rock-soul voice ever to come out of Britain."

"Hugely talented - a true star - but a kind and humble man who loved to perform," Mr Marshall added in a statement.

"Anyone who ever saw him live will never forget him."

Cocker, a Grammy winner, had a career spanning decades and including such hits as Up Where We Belong.

His cover of the Beatles' song With A Little Help From My Friends and You Are So Beautiful was another highlight.

You Can Leave Your Hat On was featured in the 1986 film 9 1/2 Weeks.

Cocker, from Sheffield, shot to fame in the 1960s and performed at Woodstock in 1969.
Stinkfoot
Squire

Re: Joe Cocker RIP

Postby Strat59 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:54 pm

Man that's sad news right on Christmas. What a great album Mad Dogs and Englishmen was. First time I heard of Joe. He came to Australia many
times and truelly was a very humble and genuine nice guy. Lived on a big ranch in Colorado I think these past number of years.

Jack Bruce 72, now Joe 70, and also recently Ian Mclagan 69 and Bobbie Keys 71............ freaky how all are around 70 yrs.

The greats keep leaving us. Those still with us are getting on a bit also, The Stones - Bill Wyman 78 - Mick Jagger 71 - Keith Richards 71 - Charlie Watts - 73 - Ronnie Wood - 67 , Rod Stewart 70 in Jan, David Bowie 68 in Jan.

At least we have Justin Beiber, Taylor Swift, Ke$ha, One Direction, Mylie Cyrus !
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:06 am

:(

first time I saw joe was on SNL - Thought his movements were part of a joke, but there was no joke about his singing :not_worthy:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby housekustoms on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:20 pm

I remember LMAO when I saw this in 76...

:not_worthy:
I'm a little bit :old: now, but I still like to :jam:

housekustoms
Page

Postby Vortexion on Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:17 am

Have just found this live footage on youTube - a whole 2 hour concert from 2013, with the old boy still knocking it out and sounding superb. Well worth a watch - Sheffield Steel indeed. 8)

Can't get the youTube embedding tags to work for me, so here's the URL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lwg0ZlPTJA
Vortexion
Newt

Postby Strat59 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:01 am

Vortexion wrote:Have just found this live footage on youTube - a whole 2 hour concert from 2013, with the old boy still knocking it out and sounding superb. Well worth a watch - Sheffield Steel indeed. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lwg0ZlPTJA

69 yrs of age here and still killing them and packing them in. Absolute Legend. And the ultimate testament to his status...... he still had a contract
with Sony Music at 70 yrs of age.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:23 pm

youtube defaults it's links to https, which means http secure like in banking etc. You have to remove the s so it's just http and then the youtube tags work (most of the time)

Vortexion wrote:Have just found this live footage on youTube - a whole 2 hour concert from 2013, with the old boy still knocking it out and sounding superb. Well worth a watch - Sheffield Steel indeed. 8)

Wow, how cool. Can't wait to watch it! :highfive:
Last edited by Unit_1 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Vortexion on Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Ahh, so that's the trick! Cheers Mr ...er... Unit. :wink:
Vortexion
Newt

Postby Stinkfoot on Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:17 am

Do a concert like that in that good form and then die. That will do for me. :cheers:
Stinkfoot
Squire

Postby Strat59 on Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:16 am

Stinkfoot wrote:Do a concert like that in that good form and then die. That will do for me. :cheers:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Strat59
Baron

Postby jaywalker on Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:51 pm

Then there is this gem, captioned for clarity.

jaywalker
Baron

Return to Off-Topic Lounge