own *A REAL* de-millitarized Hummer! starting bid $10,000!

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

own *A REAL* de-millitarized Hummer! starting bid $10,000!

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:32 am

Starting bids as low as $10,000. Wow, too bad I'm too poor and don't go off-roading (any more, maybe some day). The military has finally relented it's policies and instead of {gasp} SCRAPPING these will offer them to the public.

Some states will allow these to be made road worthy, others not. Yet. Wait for it.....

http://www.govplanet.com/

Last edited by Unit_1 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Re: 12/17/14 Your chance to own *A REAL* de-millitarized Hum

Postby Jamie on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:07 am

Saw a post that pre 2006 humvees do not require emission testing. It would be an expensive off road toy, it would be fun. But at 10k, it might be less than some of the off road atvs are going for.
Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:19 am

a cargo truck starting at $2k is also very tempting, but heck I love my mustang and that's all I really want. sure would be fun though to go tooling down the road in one of those monsters.... heh....

now if the damn heater would work in the winter {{{brrrrrr}}} - think it needs a new regulator - at least it broke in the open position, the one on the explorer broke in the closed position and REALLY overheated fast......
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Jamie on Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:16 am

The magpul unimog would be a fun ride

Jamie
Baron

Postby Strat59 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:33 am

Jamie wrote:The magpul unimog would be a fun ride

Now that's what every Gangsta Rapper needs in his Garage !........ Li'l Wayne parks his Bugatti in your car space, just park on top of him :thumbsup:

He'd need a ladder to climb up to smack ya...... :lol: How many bitches could ya fit in back !
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:23 am

the unimogs are pretty cool for cargo in rough terrain, but nothing climbs obstacles like the hummer - the placement of the gas tank on the unimog makes it unsuitable for that since it's gonna get clobbered while going over boulders....

I have a jeep gladiator ambulance that is the grand daddy of the hummer (a Vietnam era military version called the M725 sold as surplus)

8 feet wide, 17 feet long and I forget how tall but TALL

straight six with cylinders the size of the big coffee cans. low low tops out at 2mph. that's about 320 horse, with a bit more torque topping out at 2 mph. If it could get traction it would go straight up.

At 4 tons you'd think it would take forever to stop, but if you step on the brakes at 25 mph it'll stop in about 10 feet. And then your brains fall out of your head from the negative G's. Found out the hard way. But the stupid lady that ran the red light is still alive. Should have seen her daughter screaming, lol......

I gotta get it back on the road. Only needs two new deep cycle 12v batteries and a couple gas lines. one for the gas powered heater and one for the engine. multi-fuel too, so it'll run off of vodka, no problem.

Oh and I gotta change the oil too. Only 17 QUARTS :POd:

this isn't mine, but looks about the same. mine is a better color yellow and has WAY better tires. I also have a rotating yellow emergency light up on top and a external PA metal speaker up on top with a 24v amplifier and mic.

I'm just too lazy to go to the other computer that has the pics on it..... lol...

Last edited by Unit_1 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Unit_1 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:23 pm

The first surplus auction of U.S. Military Humvees took place on Wednesday, and they hauled in big bucks. The 25 trucks on offer at GovPlanet.com all had opening bids of $10,000 and sold for between $21,500 and $41,000. The federal government keeps 75.29 percent of the revenues.

Regulations were recently changed to allow certain versions of the Humvee to be sold to private citizens. Previously they were sent to the scrap heap after being taken out of service.

The demilitarized troop and cargo carriers were from 1987-1995. Some run well, some need a little work. Since they don’t meet federal safety and emissions regulations, they’re sold for off road use only, but it is possible to make them street legal in a number of states with modifications.

The prices they went for are in line with the going rate for the handful of Humvees that made it into private hands years ago through a since-closed loophole, but the market may soon be saturated.

The Defense Logistics Agency is currently reviewing approximately 4,000 more Humvees that it may release for auction, and the next batch crosses the block on January 7

Unit_1
Prince

Return to Off-Topic Lounge