ES Les Paul

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

ES Les Paul

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:59 am

this literally makes me drool

The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Re: ES Les Paul

Postby vez on Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:25 pm

Isn't this is a new model? Has anyone test driven one of those? I wonder if they have a center block inside?
vez
Squire

Postby LD50 on Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:37 pm

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/ES/Gibson-Memphis/2014/ES-Les-Paul.aspx

It also escapes the wide fingerboard, zero fret and electronic tuners that the standards get this year. i always liked the look of the 336 and 339 but as I already have a 335, R0 and several others as a non-pro I probably have too many guitars :roll:
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:53 pm

These are the 2014 models, announced at NAMM (I think)

There's another model, a LP Supreme, with same semi-hollowbody and even better wood going for {gasp} $6500 or some crazy number like that. It was on the back cover of the November 2014 Vintage Guitar magazine being sold by Sam Ash.

Damn I just about bought it and came to me senses when I realized Ms. Unit WOULD KILL ME If I spent that kind of dough on a guitar

The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby pckpat on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:28 pm

Very nice...now I trust those are solid carved maple tops?
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby pckpat on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:34 pm

LD50 wrote:http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/ES/Gibson-Memphis/2014/ES-Les-Paul.aspx

It also escapes the wide fingerboard, zero fret and electronic tuners that the standards get this year. i always liked the look of the 336 and 339 but as I already have a 335, R0 and several others as a non-pro I probably have too many guitars :roll:

On a whim, I picked up an Epi ES339 Pro (in cherry) at the pawn shop around the corner a few months ago. Actually a pretty decent guitar for $325. It does have a slightly plasticky look and feel to the finish (kind of reminiscent of 70's Tele and Strat poly), but the wood seems pretty good quality, and it has split-coil electronics. The pickups are what they call "Alnico Pro", so I'm assuming oriental mfg., but real Grover Rotos on the headstock. Other than the lack of lacquer ( :roll: ) I'd rate it with guitars costing a few hundreds more. I had been looking at Gibson 339's for a few years, waiting for the right deal to pull the trigger, but due to some financial constraints recently, I settled for this as an intro to ownership of an ES series and feel I have more than gotten a fair deal.
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Return to Off-Topic Lounge