VINYL Corner TurntablesCartridgesPhonoPre

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

VINYL Corner TurntablesCartridgesPhonoPre

Postby power lover on Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:09 am

What are you guys using for spinning your vinyl?

We all know a marhsall hiwatt etc all sound best on the LP/s

I use:

Technics sl 1800 from 1979
Stanton 500/881from 1970's
Nikko preamp from 1983
Musical Fidelity XLPs V3 Phono preamp

This is my favorite rig so far after many in 30 years time. I like the direct drive table for rock music but have had some priced belt driven which are cool.

In particular, I'd be interested in knowing what Cartridges you've chosen and why
Last edited by power lover on Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
power lover
Knight

Re: VINYL Turntables Cartridges PhonoPre

Postby Jamie on Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:30 pm

My son acquired my 70s Yamaha YP-D6 turntable with a Micro Acoustics 282e cartridge and Yamaha receiver a few years back as well as a bunch of lps. I picked up an Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB earlier this year using a Shure M97xE with it. There is quite a bit of hum coming from the preamp. I may bypass or remove that board, my current yamaha receiver r-v703 has phono in so it's really not needed. Infinity Quantum Juniors still sound great. I added a Yamaha YST-FSW050BL2 Subwoofer to just add a touch more low end. Nice to see they are reissuing vinyl.
Jamie
Baron

Postby power lover on Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:19 am

the micro acoustics is a good cart..I heard the AT USB table and you should bypass the phono section and use the receiver's as you are thinking. the table itself should be fine as it's a clone of the technics sl1200 which is a classic. the shure reissue cart you're using is a bit flat sounding though to my ears but can work ok with a full sounding phono section. Finding a good cart is tricky since like everything else, the modern recreations can be lacking compared to the golden eras and the option of finding original old carts is hit and miss just liek finding old celestions and tubes etc. I've tried about two dozen carts....the same people who built those killr tubes had a level of care and knowledge exceeding todays makers, same with carts although there are decent modern carts. the AT 440mla is good, a grado black is ok if a bit airy, the ortofon 2mred is good but sounds a bit modern. I like the older carts because they sound like traditional vinyl and modern carts sound like an interpretation of vinyl with some digital qualities or extra colors. At least we have some modern choices though. It's good to see that vinyl is alive and may turn out to be the first and last physical medium for music listening.

I've got a STERLING copy of scorps love at first sting and lovedrive playing now. amazing guitars. this is how they should sound!

I look for MASTERDISK STERLING or DMM etched in the dead wax of many 70's and 80's rock albums. They are the pressings overseen by bob ludwig and other masteres and are early stamped. They are noticeably sweeter clearer etc. Besides tape, these are the pinnacle of guitar sounds

ozzy and randy 87 live tribute MASTERDISK and great white shot in the dark dokken under lock and key killlemall and many others came in these msterdisk sterling stamped alternatives.
power lover
Knight

Postby Jamie on Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:34 pm

Having the usb preamp is kind of handy for converting vinyl to mp3. That would be missed but the 60 cycle hum that surfaces in the background when listening loud is a bit annoying. I'd like to land another micro acoustics cart but they are going for premium on the bay.

I have a copy of Page and Crowes live at the greek on the way, sealed from ebay. This guy seems to have some connection for sealed nos vinyl.

http://tinyurl.com/n5fflym
Jamie
Baron

Postby power lover on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:55 am

i use a musical fidelity XLS 3 phono pre into a teac 700 cd burner....then to lossless WAV.....done. sounds perfectly natural and musical not odd and extra ordinary sucked out middle movie theatre sound alot of modern gear gives
Last edited by power lover on Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
power lover
Knight

Postby power lover on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:46 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-7qEi2Inq8

this guy has some good comparisons of various carts playing sultans of swing. a micro acoustics , technics epc, an older grado etc....useful for getting a vibe on each's sound signature.

i recently got an old shurev15IIIMr which sounds sweet. natural balanced dynamic. makes a marshall sound like a marshall, a hiwatt like a hiwatt, a cymbal sound like a cymbal, snares are accurate, bass drums accurate etc. very nice.
power lover
Knight

Postby Jamie on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:26 am

I've been using vinylstudio for mac. I no longer have many lps but there are a few worth converting to mp3s. Once those are done I'll look into the preamp mod. I'm thinking maybe a bypass toggle to take out the preamp board or bring it back to use if needed. I can't see why that couldn't be option.

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/screenshots.aspx
Jamie
Baron

Re: VINYL Corner TurntablesCartridgesPhonoPre

Postby power lover on Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:35 am

Got a sterling copy of triumph ALLIED FORCES on the deck tonite. Man does this sound good.

Accept METAL HEART Masterdisk German press. Recoreded in the famous basement of Dieter dierks on what i'm certain is amazing old gear

http://dierks-studios.de/archives-galleries/
power lover
Knight

Postby Seby on Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:55 am

2 x Vestax PDX-d3 decks, into:
a Numark M4 mixer, into:
NAD 3020 pre, into:
NAD 2155 pwr, into:
Paradigm Atom monitors.

Technics M44-7 headshells with Shure needles for everyday fun.

Ortofon Concorde headshells with Ortofon-Electro needles when being slightly more pretentious.
Seby
Certified

Postby power lover on Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:59 am

heads up on a amazing phono pre. I've been searching for the right one for over a year, tried about a dozen ranging from $100 to $800 and this one is just head and shoulders above the others. Natural, balanced, resolution like no other i've heard. Can't recommend this highly enough, plus it's only $300. Hand made in CA. This needs a day or two to settle in, but once it does, wow. what a sound.
LCR Phono Preamplifier Lounge Audio MK-III
power lover
Knight

Postby Jack Hester on Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:43 pm

Glad that this thread was started.

I'm in the planning stages to upgrade my means of playing vinyl (read that as regressing back to something vintage quality, and not modern). I have a Technics SL-1800, as well as a SL-1800MKII. I have a Magnavox 175 power amp that is really nice, and in great working condition. I've been looking to build a nice Hi-Fidelity stereo pre-amp, but have also been shopping to see what tube pre-amps are available. Mainly because I don't need another build project, as I have plenty of those ahead of this.

So, I'll be watching this thread in hopes of getting more ideas to fill in the pre-amp void. Have a good one.

Jack
"We sleep safe in our beds
because rough men stand ready in the night
to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

---George Orwell
Jack Hester
Certified

Postby jaywalker on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:57 pm

I was just looking at what's left of my vinyl this morning. Big Pink, Meet The Beatles and a few others just sitting there in storage along with a pair of Altec 19's, a home brew 60-ish dual monoblock EL34 Williamson amp w/ Stancor Iron, 1 McIntosh MC-60 monoblock, Technics table but no preamp and no room for the stuff at "the Inn". Some day...
jaywalker
Baron

Postby BlueSkye on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:36 am

I use a 1980s vintage Bang & Olufsen 8002 tangential tracking turntable with the MMC-1 moving magnet cartridge. The phono preamp is a PS Audio Nuwave Phone Convertor that I am currently using to digitize my vinyl. The sound system includes a McIntosh MX-150 HT processor, two MC-1201 1200 watt mono amps (I need more power!) and a couple of B&W Nautilus 801 speakers.
BlueSkye
Certified

Postby gigant0r on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:54 pm

I'm using old Thorens TD-318 with Ortofon Super OM 10, ProJect preamp with Marantz 1530 and Wharfedale 10.2 speakers. Very warm vintage audio setup.
gigant0r
Baron

Return to Off-Topic Lounge