did anybody catch trower on the latest tour?

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

did anybody catch trower on the latest tour?

Postby power lover on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:56 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3VB3urL2IY

Just finished up a US leg and off to europe it looks like
power lover
Knight

Re: did anybody catch trower on the latest tour?

Postby pckpat on Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:19 pm

No sure wish he could have played here...I checked the schedule a few weeks ago, but no chance. :cry: I see he's still rocking the old fawn 4-12s. No Davey Pattison, that's too bad. I hope I get a chance to see him at least one more time...one of my favourite guitarists ever, and he is always awesome live.
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby Strat59 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:04 am

Robyn's such a tastefull player , a tone freak but in a much better way that Eric Johnson.

Classic player who goes to show you don't need to play at 100mph to be killer. :thumbsup:
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby power lover on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:59 am

most guitarists play notes from the fretboard, he plays his own feedback. The whole art of listening to the sound from the cab and playing that vs what's in your head or hands, is a lost art. I'd like to offer lessons and teach local kids. But before you can do it, you have to have a certain amp/cab and I doubt they have they don't have the gear or the interest. All they got is buzz bassy messes of tone. It's enough to bring a fella to tears the situation we got on our hands.
power lover
Knight

Postby Strat59 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:31 pm

Definitely. I love seeing the old blues guys, what they can't achieve tonally with a guitar / amp / hand and fingers can't be got. Robyn, Rory Gallagher, Jeff Beck, Clapton, Green, Keef, Page of just the English guys, all tone & feel players.

The kids today have all the effects and technology at their fingertips but rely on that gear too much to get their sound. And their idea of sound is to copy someone elses tone. A friend has a big studio and has lots of young bands coming in, first thing they ask the engineer or producer is they want to sound like ............

They need to learn what their guitar can really do, what tones they can achieve with their hands, no effects. What cabs, speakers can add to the mix.

Guys like Robyn Trower can go into a studio and in seconds dial in their tone. They know their gear inside out. And don't over play, more a meandering river of tone than a fast flowing one rushing.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby pckpat on Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:39 pm

Saw him four or five years ago at the local Bluesfest. He was awesome- I have always loved his first few albums-in fact I was a big Procul Harum fan way back when he was still in the band (Whiskey Train, Song For A Dreamer, etc.). So I was in my glory....the two fawn cabs and a JMP 100 watter and a JCM 100. Sounded t!ts....everyone rockin as he closed the final days' show....incoming darkness and RT cranking the Marshalls out-a little wah, a little OD and a UniVibe-red Trower Signature Strat...what a player! Even though he always said his ace in the hole as it were, is his compositional capability, even more than his guitar technique that he is most proud of.:jam: :thumbsup:
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby power lover on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:28 am

power lover
Knight

Return to Off-Topic Lounge