Osilloscopes pc base or Stand Alongs

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Osilloscopes pc base or Stand Alongs

Postby ep1966 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:10 am

Well after having it for some years my 2500 nri oscilloscope bit the dust. Well it not really non-functional just notice it not functioning like it should. I was wondering if I should go PC Base or buy another scope. I have been looking around and scopes are very pricey these days. Pc Base Looks like a good alternative But are they. I've notice maximum volts on the probes are very low most less then 20volts peak to peak and lower. Now don't get me wrong I am no scope expert but to do readings in a tube amp you'll be using a 100x probe often. Any thoughts on the matter? Ether way a new Scope needs to be bought or the NRI fixed But guess this is a good time to get at least a 2 channel scope that I wanted for so long.
ep1966
Court Jester

Re: Osilloscopes pc base or Stand Alongs

Postby Unit_1 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:54 am

you can find *great* deals on used scopes on eBay - may take a bit of patience waiting for the right one to come along

I got my two channel tektronix from an educational institution on purpose as they are regularly calibrated to insure the students have access to scopes without errors. hard enough learning without getting a faulty scope....

cost me about $300 for a (originally) $2000 scope!

it's way way way more than what is needed for audio, but the price was right
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:26 am

Go to a Hamfest, scopes 100-150 all day long. :wink:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby vez on Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:47 pm

Baron Von Machinenmann wrote:Go to a Hamfest, scopes 100-150 all day long. :wink:

+1 on Hamfest. It only comes around once a year but, it's a great resource.
vez
Squire

Return to Off-Topic Lounge