JACK BRUCE PASSES AWAY - R.I.P.

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

JACK BRUCE PASSES AWAY - R.I.P.

Postby Strat59 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:25 pm

The Great Jack Bruce passed away sadly. What a killer bassist / vocalist / songwriter / gentleman. Thanks for the memories Jack, R.I.P. :cheers:
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Re: JACK BRUCE PASSES AWAY - R.I.P.

Postby Happy Face on Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:27 am

Agreed on all counts. Bon voyage, Jack.
Happy Face
Page

Postby vez on Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:43 am

What a great musician and a great loss. I was lucky enough to see him a few years back at Wolf Trap. I remember him doing the Cream classic "We're Going Wrong".
I watched the documentary, "Beware of Mr. Baker" recently. Ginger Baker talked in depth of his relationship with Jack Bruce. I recommend watching it.
Jack Bruce was not only a great bassist but also a fine composer.

vez
Squire

Postby Happy Face on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:02 am

And a really fine singer.

I once tried to sing and play Born Under a Band Sign. "Once" was he operative word!
Happy Face
Page

Postby Strat59 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:08 am

For all their differences Eric and Ginger will be extremely saddened at Jacks passing. Would have loved some new material from those 3 after the Cream reunion shows. I'm sure they had planned something in the studio at some stage.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:17 pm

71 is way too young...... :cry:

Rock on Jack. :yin_yang:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby Unit_1 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:26 pm

:say_what:
the big band in the sky has just been kicked up a notch
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby housekustoms on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:08 pm

Wheels of Fire...a pivotal album in my early days. Still gets playtime today. Still have that original vinyl. Very sad news. :(
I'm a little bit :old: now, but I still like to :jam:

housekustoms
Page

Postby pckpat on Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:44 am

Awww d@mn- that is too bad. I was just watching a youtube '70's video of him with Buddy Guy and Buddy Miles the other day. Always loved the Cream and followed many of his other musical endeavours as well (e.g. the pre-Cream jazz and r'n'b bands, and the collaborations with West and Laing and Robin Trower.) RIP Jack. :jam:
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby brets9 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:56 am

It's really sad that more people aren't acknowledging the death of this great man. His accomplishments are amongst the greatest staples in rock music. I mean c'mon -Cream, Stones, Beatles, JH, etc... He was one of those iconic figures and it seems there aren't enough paying tribute. When Kurt Cobain died it was front page news... Go figure? :dumass:
brets9
Squire

Postby Strat59 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:23 pm

brets9 wrote:It's really sad that more people aren't acknowledging the death of this great man. His accomplishments are amongst the greatest staples in rock music. I mean c'mon -Cream, Stones, Beatles, JH, etc... He was one of those iconic figures and it seems there aren't enough paying tribute. When Kurt Cobain died it was front page news... Go figure? :dumass:

I guess those who remember Jack and Cream are all of a similar age now. Few would be on these forums and as for the press they'd rather run stories on those waste of space Kardashians, and the crop of the latest pop singers........ more akin to MUZAC or music for the brain dead. Will this rubbish be held in high regard in 47 yrs ? as are the classic albums by Cream !!!!!!!!
Strat59
Baron

Postby LD50 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:26 pm

brets9 wrote:It's really sad that more people aren't acknowledging the death of this great man. His accomplishments are amongst the greatest staples in rock music. I mean c'mon -Cream, Stones, Beatles, JH, etc... He was one of those iconic figures and it seems there aren't enough paying tribute. When Kurt Cobain died it was front page news... Go figure? :dumass:

Depends if you think that a post here is the only way of acknowledging his passing and his contribution to rock music. Presonally I am a bit too young for Cream as I was (but same goes for Hendrix really) so their recorded music and film is my only reference point, but yes classic albums with lyrics shaped by psychedelia and drug use.
Obviously an interesting and volatile chap (pulled a knife on Ginger Baker - who started it?) and had some fairly robust things to say about other bands http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/cream-s-jack-bruce-says-he-was-joking-about-led-zeppelin-or-was-he/ again rightly or wrongly.
He lived relatively close to me, although I never met him personally, and he was well thought of in that village, around where a lot of old musos seem to end up! His liver transplant by some of my colleagues gave him a few extra years, including the reunion concerts 8)
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Postby AC50 on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:24 am

LD50 wrote:Obviously an interesting and volatile chap (pulled a knife on Ginger Baker - who started it?)

How do things like this get turned around an passed along? It was the other way around. Ginger punched Jack out, and pulled a knife on him. If one knows anything about Ginger Baker's personality, it's not hard to imagine. On the other hand, it's very hard to imagine Jack Bruce doing that sort of thing.
AC50
Emperor

Postby LD50 on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:20 pm

AC50 wrote:
LD50 wrote:Obviously an interesting and volatile chap (pulled a knife on Ginger Baker - who started it?)

How do things like this get turned around an passed along? It was the other way around. Ginger punched Jack out, and pulled a knife on him. If one knows anything about Ginger Baker's personality, it's not hard to imagine. On the other hand, it's very hard to imagine Jack Bruce doing that sort of thing.

Glad to be put straight 8)
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Postby vez on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:05 pm

AC50 wrote:Ginger Baker's personality, it's not hard to imagine. On the other hand, it's very hard to imagine Jack Bruce doing that sort of thing.

Good to hear from you AC50. I've missed your posts.
vez
Squire

Next

Return to Off-Topic Lounge