Selling your music online, - share experiences?

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Selling your music online, - share experiences?

Postby Clanger on Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:04 am

Since there’s obviously a lot of muso’s on this forum, I thought it might be good to compare online selling experiences, so I’ll start with sharing mine.

A while back I loaded up a track I wrote and recorded to CDbaby.com. Being lazy I just clicked ‘yes’ to a load of questions and uploaded the track and some artwork. Now it should be said that I’m useless at marketing and self-promotion, I write and record and then do nothing more – stuff sits in the cupboard. So this seems to be an easy way to make your stuff available, after all the corner record store no longer exists.

Yesterday I got round to looking if it had sold at all and was surprised I’d shifted any copies, but I had a few. What was interesting was the royalty rates, (on a itunes download price of $0.99) see below;

Emusic download - $0.294
Amazon Cloud Drive - $0.0007
Rhapsody Sale - $0.0091
iTunes Sale Europe - $0.842
Spotify Sale - $0.0018
Media Net Sale - $0.0094

So $.84 from a $.99 iTunes sale seems fair enough, but I guess I’m interested to know what all these other things are, - the ITunes is the thing I basically signed up for and pays the best, the others mostly seem to be mp3 download or cloud applications, but I’d be grateful for any comments on whether I would get better rates from other hosts than Cdbaby, or any advice at all! Also what does it cost the consumer to buy from these places?

What are your experiences?

By the way here’s a link to the track, actually recorded back in ’99, I don’t move fast. I should upload more.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/You-Made-Me-Sin ... B005FLU7Y8
"Please feel free to copy this information and use it to make friends and influence people at your favourite social gathering" - Doyle
Clanger
Knight

Re: Selling your music online, - share experiences?

Postby peter horvath on Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:59 pm

My band moves a decent amount of stuff through CDBaby, both physically and through downloads. We don't have them dealing with our royalties, as we already do that ourselves through BMI, so I can't comment on how well or poorly CDBaby deals with that end of it. I CAN say that they're easy to deal with, and that makes it worthwhile to me. It's easy to upload a new record for sale. They tell me when they're running low. They tell me who's buying my stuff. It's a good thing.
peter horvath
Baron

Postby Michael Patrick on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:04 pm

The last band I was in where we released our original music also went with CDBaby. Like Peter said, they are easy to deal with, their policies are clear and they follow through.
The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down
Michael Patrick
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Postby Clanger on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:34 pm

Thanks for sharing guys. Yes I have had no problems with them at all, I was just wondering who everyone was using (as well as about some of these cloud type things with the cheapo royalties), but no one yet has chimed in using another service.

Peter, do you sell physical CD's through them ? if so how does that work?

The founder of Cdbaby (who exited with a lot of $$ and moved on) , Derek Sivers, is an interesting chap, quite the visionary.
"Please feel free to copy this information and use it to make friends and influence people at your favourite social gathering" - Doyle
Clanger
Knight

Postby Painterman on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:52 am

Sir Bobby Painterman - Knight of the Plexi Palace. (It only took me 8.5 years...)
Painterman
Knight

Return to Off-Topic Lounge