Memories of Old Days

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Memories of Old Days

Postby Jamie on Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:50 pm

I stumbled on this Gentle Giant classic, these guys are fantastic musicians. One of my favorite prog bands from the 70s. :cheers:

The BBC Sight & Sound concert Golders Green Hippodrome, London, January 5th, 1978

Jamie
Baron

Re: Memories of Old Days

Postby pckpat on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:41 pm

Saw them five times in the late-70's ...they had a fairly sizeable fan base in Canada, so toured here a lot. Very quirky and talented prog group. In fact on the first song, none of them are playing their primary instruments. They often would play more than one instrument in their songs-which invariably contained numerous key and time signature changes.
Derek Shulman, the lead singer, eventually became CEO of Atco Records, as division of Atlantic, as most know. The two guys I worked with at recording school who got me into listening to GG both became record execs as well... :dunno:
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby Jamie on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:34 am

Interesting Pat.. did not know that about Derek. Quirky is a good description performance wise. Never had a chance to see them but still really appreciate what they have done. Quite talented gents.
Jamie
Baron

Postby pckpat on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:59 pm

Yes Jamie-and even though I was a big prog fan , until my first (and last :P ) year at college, I had never even heard of Gentle Giant. Of course, once I became aware of their prodigious talents, I was an instant fan. They always flew well under the radar...but, apparently Quebec was a huge hotspot for them-that province still has quite a lot of prog-rock-oriented bands and audiences I think.
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Return to Off-Topic Lounge