Need advice on disposing of vintage audio NOS parts.

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Need advice on disposing of vintage audio NOS parts.

Postby toomanyparts on Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:06 am

I’m a trustee of a non-profit foundation for the preservation of a water mill in Massachusetts USA. The owner of the mill passed away a few years ago and we are looking to clear out items that are not related to the historic preservation of the site. That being said, from 1956 to the mid 70’s, this site was a factory for building specialized vacuum tube based library and school record players.

In sorting through the various storage places in the Mill we have found cases of various parts used in the production of portable tube record players. We need a bit of advice of what we should scrap, give to local tech schools, or sell to help fund restoration of the Mill. Sorting out the cases of vacuum tubes is straight forward, but the cases of speakers, transformers, caps, resistors, pots, and case hardware is more difficult to sort out. What should we look for that may be of value to the vintage restoration community?

For example, does anybody need a couple hundred 8” CTS speakers with 1967 date codes still in the shipping containers? 3 unopened rolls of black Tolex? Cases of transformers? Case corners? Case corner rivets? A case hardware riveting machine?

Maybe most of it should go to the metal recycler but we understand how hard it can be to find NOS parts in our own restoration projects, we would hate to see worthwhile parts go into the dump.

Any guidance of what brands and types of 60’s hardware we should keep a lookout for would be appreciated.
toomanyparts
Peasant

Re: Need advice on disposing of vintage audio NOS parts.

Postby peter horvath on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:32 pm

I wonder if Antique Electronic Supply https://www.tubesandmore.com/ would be interested in that sort of stuff?
peter horvath
Baron

Postby DanTheBluesMan on Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:36 pm

I may also suggest contacting periodicals like Vintage Guitar magazine, they probably have a data base of advertisers who may be the types of people looking for these materials and parts. Likewise the online magazine like Premier Guitar. I would contact Weber speakers and see if not necessarily they but maybe some suppliers they do business with might be interested. I applaud the OP's desire to not let this stuff become new mop head handles and moped frames. The stuff there, while not valuable in the eyes of the fast-buck, big profit world, is actually somewhat invaluable to the preservation of history.

8" CTS from '67? Dang, you could get a lot of people to 'restore' their old champs with genuine NOS speakers, I bet. Or some amp builder out there could have a run of boutique low watt amps with NOS speakers. That might be the motherlode of the bunch there.
DanTheBluesMan
Knight

Postby Papa Dog on Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:51 pm

I wonder if the person has even been back since the original posting?
hasn't answered a PM yet, at any rate...
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--"
Papa Dog
Knight

Return to Off-Topic Lounge