Electronic drums

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Electronic drums

Postby PeterS on Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:22 am

The drummer in my band bought an electronic kit to fool around with. Interesting, I'm used to him drowning everybody out, but now he can turn down! Not sure
how much I like the sound... turning down has its advantages, but it also makes us sound even more like 3 old geezers who should be at the Holiday Inn. Anybody got any thoughts on how to get the best out of e-drums? We play a lot of 70's stuff, rock, funk, disco, whatever...
PeterS
King

Re: Electronic drums

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:25 pm

I have heard some higher end kits that are very realistic (Simmons etc) but the cheaper kits sound, well, cheap. I'm talking 4k and up...... :shock: :wink:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Re: Electronic drums

Postby PeterS on Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:08 pm

I don't know how much this kit cost but I'm sure it was a lot less than $4k. Apparently there are EIGHT different electronic modules you can buy for the kit, and he got the 3rd least expensive. He's playing it through a Kustom keyboard amp --- do you know whether keyboard amps have a deliberately not flat frequency response like guitar amps do, or are they designed to be flat (more or less)? When he initially set it up there was way too much bottom and top, which sounds cool on its own but doesn't work with the band. Improved a lot with some tweaking...
PeterS
King

Return to Off-Topic Lounge