Voodoo Chile...Frank Marino

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Voodoo Chile...Frank Marino

Postby pckpat on Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:01 pm

Even though he is somewhat of a legendary figure up here in Canada (esp. in Quebec), I have never seen Frank Marino play live. There were probably a number of opportunities to do so, but I missed out somehow which I'm thinking might have been an error on my part, after viewing this youtube offering. Looks like it was performed in a pretty good-sized bar in his hometown Montreal, back in '01. Some excellent guitar, imo...man I'd like to hear him and Trower jam sometime. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPUjWIKAYvU :jam:
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Re: Voodoo Chile...Frank Marino

Postby Ned B on Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:17 pm

I saw him a few years ago at a small club called Martyrs on Lincoln Av in Chicago. I have to describe him as nothing short of iconic. The show was a full 3 hours and consisted of about 6 songs. I thought he was better than he was on the famous live album. He was traveling in a motor home that was parked right in front of the club. He walked in the front door with his SG, stepped up on stage and was playing in 15 seconds.

This club gets some great acts. I recently saw The Ringers there. BTW Landau killed it.
Ned B
Baron

Postby master keeper on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:46 am

FM is a household god at my Place, extremely fluid and inventive player.
I also love the fact that he's squeezing those fat strat tones out of an SG!
master keeper
Prince

Postby vez on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:20 pm

Unbelievable chops! Perhaps one of the greatest and most underrated guitarist of the 70's. :not_worthy:
Thanks for that Pat.
vez
Squire

Postby master keeper on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:07 am

but was he really underrated back in the day? I remember him being played on the radio every week over here in sweden in the seventies.
master keeper
Prince

Return to Off-Topic Lounge