6973 anyone?

How can you get a great tone without a good understanding of what makes your amp tick? — EL34, EL84, 6L6, KT66, KT88, 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, EF86, Output Transformers, Power Transformers, Capacitors, Resistors and everything else that it takes to make a tube amp sing!

Re: 6973 anyone?

Postby teleharmonium on Wed Aug 15, 2001 8:57 pm

Hey Jeff, I'll send you an email, that would be cool to have a couple more of those. They are interesting tubes, an input triode with the output internally wired to the input of the output pentode in the same bottle ! It's like a whole little amp in there, all it needs is an input, ground and power ! I think the ones I have are from Germany as well. In fact, the amp that uses it is a German old Hohner Concertaphon IV, a pretty neat amp that I have been meaning to post some pics of for you guys to check out. It has 3 separate chassis inside, for the preamp, power amp, and reverb unit, which even has its' own power supply and rectifier tube ! It's got a chrome or nickel plated reverb tank ! those nutty Germans...
teleharmonium
Squire

Postby Riscchip on Thu Aug 16, 2001 12:39 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff West:<BR><STRONG>I'm going back out of town for a few days, will look for 6973 upon return next week, I think I've got at least one NIB RCA you can have if I can find the damn thing. So what output tubes does that Sportsman sport?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That would be spectacular, Jeff, and I can't thank you enough for the offer! Let me know if you turn one up. If not, no big deal and I greatly appreciate the thought!<P>The Sportsman sports a pair of 6L6s in the power section, and I have two very nice sounding Sylvanias in there presently. :)<P>Teleharmonium: thanks for pointing out the Gretsch connection. When I read that I did some surfing and spotted a couple of old Gretches that look almost identical to my Supro! Very cool. I definitely saw the same cabinet with a Gretsch logo on it. I guess Valco was making amps under a number of brands back then!<P>Take care,<P>--Risc
Riscchip
Peasant

Postby mike1 on Wed Aug 22, 2001 3:56 am

check this guy out, he has tons of old tubes and may very well have what your looking for.<BR> <A HREF="http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane/" TARGET=_blank>http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane/</A>
mike1
Page

Postby T.G.3-55 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:35 am

JeffWest wrote:6973 is a beam power tube that came out in the late '50s and was promoted as an audio power tube. Nine pin base. Similar to 6CZ5 but has higher ratings, slightly different pinout. Used sporadically by Supro and has gained some notoriety in that capacity because the Supro that Page used on early Zep albums apparently ran a pair of these. Also found in some tube hi fi amps ca. '58-62.

Jeff, What is the preferred mfr. 6973 power tube in the vintage glass world (for a Supro) ? Is there a British ie. Mullard or other stong foreign version ?

Tks - Jim
T.G.3-55
Squire

Previous

Return to Tubes, Transformers and Components