Close call?

How can you get a great tone without a good understanding of what makes your amp tick? — EL34, EL84, 6L6, KT66, KT88, 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, EF86, Output Transformers, Power Transformers, Capacitors, Resistors and everything else that it takes to make a tube amp sing!

Close call?

Postby Invader1 on Sat Dec 01, 2001 4:02 pm

I wondered if any of you guys could comment on this? The other day I flipped on my JTM-45 repro-clone, let her warm up and then flipped the standy. Nothing happens. No sound. I immediately glance behind the head and notice that my speaker cable has been unplugged. Doh!!! I quickly flip off the power and try and calm down. Holding my breath I plug the cable back in and flip the amp back on. It plays fine. I feel like I just dodged a bullet. I guess my question is this. Is a few seconds enough to fry a xformer or does it normally take longer? It's relatively new. Is this an all or nothing occurence? What actually happens to the xformer when run without a load to make it croak? Just curious.<BR>Thanks<BR>Kevin :confused:
Invader1
Court Jester

Re: Close call?

Postby BigMetal on Mon Dec 03, 2001 2:46 pm

it will start blowing fuses first. at least that's what mine did...
BigMetal
Certified

Postby Michael Patrick on Mon Dec 03, 2001 2:49 pm

If I had a nickel for every time I've done the same thing, I'd be able to buy a set of preamp tubes... I have yet to blow up an amp this way. I don't think I'd run it without a load on purpose, but the occasional short-duration goof-up is not anything to lose sleep over.
The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down
Michael Patrick
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Postby Hamilton on Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:05 pm

It won't hurt a thing.<P>If you're curious, hook a volt meter up to the speaker jack with the amp idling and the volumes at 0, you'll see that the voltage is so low that it is hard to even get a reading.
"And may you never hear...surf music...again."
Hamilton
Knight

Postby Invader1 on Tue Dec 04, 2001 12:08 am

Oh Oh. Big Metal scared me there when he said it will start blowing fusues. Mine blew a fuse over the weekend when I flipped it off standby. I replaced the fuse and no more problems yet. Is this the beginning of the end? If it is I hope it goes fast. I can't stand those intermittent problems that never seem to show up when you take it to a tech.
Invader1
Court Jester

Postby tone-lizard on Sun Dec 23, 2001 5:19 pm

Here is a couple of things I do to all of my Marshalls;<BR>1) Replace the ouput jack with a shorting type. If need be, to preserve the look, I'll pull the 'leafs' out of a surrogate jack and insert them into the original jack. That is just for the 'Cliff' type. The Ray-An type is easy to find shorting jacks.<BR>2) Put a resistor across the speaker jack. 200 ohms or anything remotely close, and 25 watt, or something close (20 watt is odd, but I've seen 'em). <BR>Now you will be set for a while, or until a tube goes leaky ;). Marshalls like to blow fuses just for sh*ts and giggles, letting you know just how unstable the amplifier is. You can fix THAT, but that is another story.
"Never mix alcohol and calculus. It isn't a good idea to drink and derive."
tone-lizard
Page

Postby V8 on Sun Dec 23, 2001 6:55 pm

Is it better to turn off the amp or plug the speaker in then shut down? I guess what I'm asking is when ya shut off the amp with no speaker connected doesn't the electromagnetic field collapse "potentially" causing a short in the OPT<P> :confused: db
V8
Page

Postby Mrhiwatt on Mon Dec 24, 2001 12:15 am

How bout this for a thought......<BR>If it were a digital modeling amp what would have happened??????<P>Ha! <P>Be thankful!!
Get a half life - - Einstien
Mrhiwatt
April Fool

Return to Tubes, Transformers and Components