Groove Tubes?

How can you get a great tone without a good understanding of what makes your amp tick? — EL34, EL84, 6L6, KT66, KT88, 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, EF86, Output Transformers, Power Transformers, Capacitors, Resistors and everything else that it takes to make a tube amp sing!

Groove Tubes?

Postby 1965Strat on Thu Jun 28, 2001 4:50 pm

Hey guy if you read my post that I wrote about my Super Bass finally sounding good, you see that I swapped a set of Groove Tubes for the EH EL-34's.<P>Has anyone else had such a miserable time with Groove Tubes? Even after I rebiased the amp, and put the Groove Tubes back in, it still sounded horrible! Are Groove Tubes just bad tubes in general?
Interviewer: So Jimi, what's it like being the greatest guitarist in the world?

Jimi: I don't know, ask 1965Strat.

I couldn't believe it either!

Gear Pics
http://www.bradjackson.net
1965Strat
Squire

Re: Groove Tubes?

Postby Custom50 on Thu Jun 28, 2001 6:29 pm

Grrove Tubes just matches and relabels tubes, they don't make them - so the tubes could be from anywhere (probably Chinese). I've used some that worked fine in the past though for the past few years I've stuck with Svetlanas (EL34s). I think you mentioned that you rebiased for the other EH tubes, and Hamilton seemed to think it was running a bit hot, so maybe the Groove Tubes just weren't happy at that bias setting and hence sounded crappy - (GT has a rating system based on how quickly the tubes break up, what were they marked?).
Never let the music get in the way of the stage act...
Custom50
Page

Return to Tubes, Transformers and Components