Who's got the biggest, ah transformer?

How can you get a great tone without a good understanding of what makes your amp tick? — EL34, EL84, 6L6, KT66, KT88, 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, EF86, Output Transformers, Power Transformers, Capacitors, Resistors and everything else that it takes to make a tube amp sing!

Re: Who's got the biggest, ah transformer?

Postby TubeGetter on Fri Jun 22, 2001 11:03 pm

COOL!!<P>leftee, <P>Don't ask me, I ain't no EE!! I'm just a Civil. I believe they're actually two trannys that are part of the same unit. Each side takes a 500kV line. I'll have to get the details. Usually, you're only talking about breaking down 230kV lines. Of course it depends on what kind of sub you're talking about. Some subs act as switching stations for system security. Others subs are there for distribution, etc. 230kV and above is considered transmission, and 138kV and below is distribution. A lot of smaller wooden type power poles you see around town are just 12kV or 69kV distribution lines. Well, that's how it is in most places I've seen.
TubeGetter
Emperor

Postby TubeGetter on Sat Jun 23, 2001 3:15 am

You ain't kidding!!! In those subs you can really hear it hum and vibrate, and it's intimdating. Some of our low profile subs have buss about 6' off the ground. Nowing that if you touch it, you will literally explode. That's scary. If you get near some high voltage buss with your truck, the little rusted pits in the paint will actually start to arc with the buss. I've seen it happen. If you're up over some buss in a boom, that can arc also. Once I got shocked when I was about 50' off the ground in a boom checking out some connections on a 230kV dead end structure (which was not supposed to be live), and my hand barely touched the haunch, and it shocked the hell out of me. I felt really sick the rest of the day.
TubeGetter
Emperor

Postby twang on Mon Jun 25, 2001 10:52 am

Ted, now I know why the head box on my Sound City 200 split open (aside from gross mishandling by UPS). Those Partridges are pretty beefy.
twang
Knight

Previous

Return to Tubes, Transformers and Components