Trying to Identify 12AX7's

How can you get a great tone without a good understanding of what makes your amp tick? — EL34, EL84, 6L6, KT66, KT88, 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, EF86, Output Transformers, Power Transformers, Capacitors, Resistors and everything else that it takes to make a tube amp sing!

Trying to Identify 12AX7's

Postby telecat on Wed Jun 20, 2001 12:03 pm

Hello all! I just purchased a Top Hat Club Deluxe and was checking out what tubes it had. The first (rightmost facing the back) is a Sovtek 12AX7. The other two I've never seen or heard of before. They're labelled Electron ECC83 in blue. Any clue what these are? I wonder why the mix of brands? Any help would be appreciated!<P>T
telecat
Peasant

Re: Trying to Identify 12AX7's

Postby telecat on Sat Jun 23, 2001 3:04 pm

Ok I was mistaken. The tubes say Edicron. I did a search on the net and the apear to be EI's. I woder why Top Hat would just use two and put the Sotek 2ax7wxb in the far right socket (facing the back)? Any ideas?<P>T
telecat
Peasant

Postby jrr on Sun Jun 24, 2001 2:03 pm

hi:<BR> i don't know your amp,so some assumption on my part here,FWIW...3 preamp tubes would probably indicate 2 in the preamp section,where a lot of your amps tone shaping components are(the EI's)...and one phase invertor(the sovtek).The PI.slot does take a lot of wear and tear driving the output tubes,and the sovtek12ax7 is a rugged tube...EI's are considered excellent *tonal* 12ax7's,tho microphonics are sometimes a problem(top hat would have screened them for this,i assume,before loading your amp)...mixing brands is cool...when the time comes to replace output tubes,the phase invertor is often replaced as well so today's boutique amp manufacturers design their amps(i think) around current production and(relatively) easily available tubes.This would at least allow you to get a sound close to how the amp originally sounded when the time comes for a tube change,tho any 12ax7 can be used,depending on availability and your decision to experiment with different tubes for diff.tones,imho<BR>hope this helps..<BR>jrr
jrr
Knight

Postby telecat on Sun Jun 24, 2001 10:59 pm

Thank you guys for the help and insight! I thought maybe the store might have done it but JrrHiwatt that makes sense now. Again, thanks for this insight!<P><BR>T
telecat
Peasant

Return to Tubes, Transformers and Components