RCH tubes 6L6 made in USA-I propose a test

How can you get a great tone without a good understanding of what makes your amp tick? — EL34, EL84, 6L6, KT66, KT88, 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, EF86, Output Transformers, Power Transformers, Capacitors, Resistors and everything else that it takes to make a tube amp sing!

RCH tubes 6L6 made in USA-I propose a test

Postby Jeff A Carlson on Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:24 pm

http://www.rchlabs.com/

It's crickets around the internet in regards to finding anybody who's put these tubes in a guitar amp. Am I missing something?
I get the skepticism, and I don't personally own any 6L6 amps currently, but isn't there somebody somewhere who's friggin tried these things....
Is a couple hundred bucks that far out of the realm? I know it's tough out there, but if the durability and tone is there, 200 bucks ain't the end of the world.
In my experience 6L6s in a fixed biased amp last a long time, though I imagine some early post CBS Fenders probably could kill off about anything.

Maybe we could get 20 guys or so to chip in 10 bucks for a Fender guru to demo a 6L6 amp with these on You tube?
Any else interested enough to kick in 10 bucks, and of course we would need a 6L6 Fender guru....

Are the esablishment tube outfits suppressing this.........It's a USA 6L6 on the market!
Jeff A Carlson
Jeff A Carlson
Page

Re: RCH tubes 6L6 made in USA-I propose a test

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:07 pm

Well the coke bottle tubes give off a hell of a lot of heat and are very large and don't always play nice room wise and ventilation wise in your standard fender amp

I have a couple coke bottle 6v6's on my 5e3 I built *with all yella astrons* and the sound is phenomenal - so is the heat. I have it setting on top of a 4x12 with no case. These are typically used for stereos.

But the $85 dollar tall bottle 6l6 looks like it could be a contender. NOS black plate 6l6's are in this price range.

I have to admit, I have not seen these guys anywhere!!! I thought you had a typo on RCA when I saw RCH, lol
:cheers:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby OldSchoolDave on Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:06 am

Jeff A Carlson wrote:Are the esablishment tube outfits suppressing this.........

You're implying there's enough money in the vacuum tube industry to encourage a restraint-of-trade conspiracy? With all due respect, I don't think so.

Boutique tube sites pop up from time to time. While I'd welcome the idea of someone in the USA or UK producing tubes as good as the old models, I'm not about to risk my money and be disappointed.

Having been on the Manufacturing & eCommerce side once upon a time, I know the best thing that manufacturer could do is to post some honest A/B comparison clips of their offerings versus the classics - in guitar amps. The little info I see on their site indicates they're aiming for the audiophile demographic, which has a reputation for paying premium prices.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Jeff A Carlson on Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks for the insightful replies. I guess I was just surprised that this made zero waves in the guitar world. On the other hand, it helps go to show that a lot of people are satisfied with new production, or have their personal stockpile to last a lifetime.

On the other hand, maybe were lucky that there's anybody left to supply this niche market..
Though I don't feel so lucky when I see the prices from the reputable vendors......

I'd still be interested in a review...........
Jeff A Carlson
Jeff A Carlson
Page

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:30 am

I plan on staying in touch with these guys and the minute they have KT88 I want to do a test in my amps and write it up at PF.

from: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue71/theshow14.htm

this was from their news tab on their site

they say they want to create the sound of GEC Gold Lion, so........ :thumbsup:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Return to Tubes, Transformers and Components